Hand Positions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Txscout

Txscout
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

Just curious what hand position people use. I took these pictures by myself so it is only one hand.
A:image.jpg
B:image.jpg
C:image.jpg
D:image.jpg
I normally fly with "d" but in high winds i sometimes use "c". This order also happens to be the way my hand positions have changed since i started flying.

#2 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:48 PM

Position is whatever works for you!! I'm just a bit higher on the foam (towards the top), but use a similar loose grip! As you find it comfortable and gives you the control you're looking for, use it!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#3 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

I use the theory detailed at http://www.learnkite...sture-and-grip/

Since my hands are smaller than JB and because I want a constant reference point (where my thumb sits), my natural balance point is on my ring finger instead of my middle finger ... but the same methodology still applies.

I have been flying long enough and gained enough experience and skill that my hand can be alive and change in the moment to achive a bias towards a specific mechanic that I want to enhance in that specific moment ... but these are merely temporary changes aimed at a specific task.

In addition to the video mentioned above, you probably want to take a look at these as well...

http://www.learnkite...uning-theory-i/
http://www.learnkite...r/sail-loading/

#4 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

Have you seen Terry's video? smile.png Lots of hands!

http://www.youtube.c...6NGlvha60#t=120

#5 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:48 AM

My hands are positioned with the top leaders resting on my index fingers, thumbs on the backside of the handles, balanced near my ring fingers/middle fingers, but the balance is more of a function of my leader tuning then my particular hand position. My hand is never ever fully closed - it often looks like the handle could slip out of my hand at any moment, the foam grip providing just enough resistance to keep this from happening.

From what I've seen, it all works, so go with what is most comfortable. My style keeps my forearms from working too hard, allowing me to fly for longer periods of time.

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#6 Txscout

Txscout
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

Im always flying in low winds (~3mph average ofen no wind) and i find d gives me the best controll

#7 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

I use "D" when trying to back-up extensively also (like the reverse octagon precision figure just as an example).  My low wind set-up has longer throw handles, so I work less and the kite does more.

less than 3 mph sounds like our local conditions in Washington DC, we call it five months of indoor flying with an unlimited ceiling!

-plm

Tough flying conditions call for specialized equipment, at least if you're an old busted-up guy such as myself.

#8 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

<snip>

Tough flying conditions call for specialized equipment, at least if you're an old busted-up guy such as myself.

I guess that I am in a similar condition <grins>

I have mentioned before holding the handles horizontally so as to avoid issues when making big pulls back to accelerate/fly the kite.

If you watch closely a lot of fliers are doing this in low winds but it also works when extra brake is applied in higher wind speeds.

Felix

#9 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

You can see most of my hand positions here...

They vary quite a bit depending on the job of the moment, but A is probably the most common.

I do use C sometimes when my handles get really sweaty just so I have a firm grip, but not for long. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#10 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

B but my index finger sits at the top of the foam, sometimes going on top. My grip is pretty relaxed except in high winds.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users