Some help to set up a "Ready to Fly" EXP

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sylvanillo

sylvanillo
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

Some help needed by a beginner... please.

As described in another topic, I made my choice and acquired an EXP which was a Ready To Fly package with sail, lines and handles.

At the moment, this kite is a headache.

For the first flight, we had the bad surprise to find that the bridle wasn't mounted... Great. It was supposed to be RTF.

But Youtube gave us the bridle setup manual.

Second flight, to find out that the lines were all full of knots - 20 minutes to remove them. Great.

First thing I'd like to check, because there is no coherent manual or videos about that ... the "color code".

The manual which comes with the EXP says: white to top, black to bottom.

All Barresi videos have 2 red and 2 blacks lines, and black goes to bottom, red to top.

We have 4 colors.... : white, black, white/red, black/red.

Great.

Which of the following is the right combination:

- white/red and black/red on one side

- white and black on the other side

OR

- white/red and white on one side

- black/red and black on the other side

?

Now second point I'd like to check:

Today I had a third flight, unfortunately almost no wind, but I could notice that the kite was moving to the right all the time.

I unmounted all the lines and measured them, and I can see that all lines have a different length (smallest difference if less than 1/2 cm and biggest is around 2-3 cm).

In different web pages, they say that the 4 lines have the same length. Great.

Since there are still 2 lines 2-3 cm longer, should these 2 longest lines be connected to the bottoms?

Can some please advise as we're getting nowhere at the moment cat_shocked.gif  Thanks in advance!

#2 Dutchrev

Dutchrev
  • Forum Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

Decide which colors are you top lines: Top lines : left white, right black Bottum: left white/red, right black/red As long as the combination make sense for you. Adjust the top set and the bottum set to the same length. In principle all lines the same length. RTF matter.... Hmmmmm I should not be a happy bunny with the service provided... Just a start...
Free in the Sky, flying my Rev

#3 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:46 PM

As I asked in the other topic - is the kite new or used. If it is used, then you got what you paid for. If it is new, complain; first to the person who sold it to you and then to Revolution Kites if necessary.

All four lines should be of equal length. The location of the colors is just to make it easy to remember where they are attached at the kite end, when you are attaching the handles. As long as you have the top left attached to the top left handle, bottom left to the bottom left handle and the same on the right, you will be ok. The short end sticking out of the grip is the top of the handle.

As you fly the kite the top lines will eventually stretch a bit, since they receive most of the force from the pull of the kite. When they become noticeably longer than the bottoms, switch the bottom lines to the top and the top lines to the bottom to stretch them to match. Usually this happens from 60 to 100 hours of flying time, sooner if you fly in strong winds on average, 15 mph and up.

If you haven't already, watch the line equalization video on this sight.

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#4 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

With lines, I pair off a black and a white. Black for bottoms and whites for tops. At the kite end of the string I larks the white onto the black to allow for the longer leaders at the handle end.

I have a few Revs and they have all come with the bridle attached. Even my "sail only" ones. Don't know what happened with yours.

When I got my 120' x #90 line set they were in all sorts of tangle, no knots thankfully. It took about 3/4 hour to get them separated. All I can say is check out the line management tutorial and it won't happen again.

Your EXP is a great kite, I still fly on mine. Although I do give it more of a spanking now I have a set of B's!

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#5 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

Take a deep breath - OK!! 

Yes the lines should be equal, but many aren't! Take a bit of time to make them that way! Unequal lines make the kite do unexpected things (fly itself), you don't want that!

Pick a combo that you can remember and hook up your handles and kite, the same way! Most use the white and white/red as tops, black and black/red as bottoms, but as long as you use a combo of your choice, and do it at both ends, it doesn't matter!

Biggest piece of advise - GIVE TO THE KITE!! If you are gonna crash - let it!! Move forward, take all the power out of the crash!! Pulling only drives the kite harder into the ground!

Start easy - launch the kite 5-6' into the air, stop and hold balance, then land on both tips! Give it a few tries, then go higher! Should be able to "feel" what the kite needs to keep it even!

You're just starting a lifelong journey, enjoy!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#6 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

There is is something very odd about your post. It looks like you have at least two problems, one line management and one setting the kite up. Both problems are addressed in the instruction DVD that should have come with the kite. Somebody above has already asked if you bought the kite new or used. Either way it looks like you could do with some F2F help.

Even if you sort out your setup problems you will benefit from some help to get you flying, I f you are prepared to do the drive there are quit a few of us Rev Regulars that meet on Dunstable Downs most Sundays. I'm guessing it's probably a little over an hours drive from Oxford but if you are trying to do this alone, I reckon it should be well worth the drive if we can sort you out and set you off on the right path.

The one thing I will say is just let us know you are coming as we coming so we cen kee an eye out for you.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#7 sylvanillo

sylvanillo
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

'Evening all,

Just to confirm that I DID BREATH. :)

Thanks a lot for your replies, I am posting after a first real flight, but in fact I had read most of you before moving to the field.

Just to clarify that the kite is NEW (or at least is supposed to be), I bought it from Kite World. This is why I have been disappointed by all this set up given the price (190 GBP for the EXP RTF package) and I hope you'll somehow forgive my negative surprises.

So, last step was to modify the lines i.e. make them all equals in length, which is now done.

I chose the largest field around because it was hardly windy this weekend, this one still has around 2 km open space.

With this thin stream of wind that was still difficult to do much but it seems the kite is working.

First impression is that I'm lost compared to a power kite, for instance if I want to turn right it seems you just pull the bottom of the handle but veeeery slightly, instead of relying on the top handles only and pulling with force ;)

The kite seems to go anywhere it wants. But i also noticed that when the wind was stronger then it was easier. I could do some turns, some spins, reverse take offs or move it horizontally.

Many thanks all for clarifying this lines story.

Stone in Shoe Bob: I take note. Kms aren't too much a problem, from time of time I go to Richmond in London for power kiting.

Now I'm off back to Spanish islands, but I think for the moment it's the Ozone I'll take with me.

Bybye and have a nice week.

#8 pond44

pond44
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

I don't suppose he has set-up the kite backwards, (uprights on the front). Just a thought.

"The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas".ani_idea.gif

#9 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 06:42 PM

Sorry, but flying a quad doesn't use the same techniques as a dual line kite!! Pulling on a handle just makes the kite "slide" sideways, not turn!!

Definitely meet up with other Rev fliers, if you can! They can answer any questions and get you on the road to success!! ani_victory.gif

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#10 sylvanillo

sylvanillo
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:31 AM

It's been years I don't fly dual lines although I should do it sometimes, they are quite fun. No, I was comparing to a power kite which is a 4 lines, where bottom lines are brakes (let's say, security lines) and top ones are used for movements and power generation. In fact because it wasn't windy at all yesterday (let's say 3 mph max) I was trying to generate the power that was missing but it seems it will be very different ;)

Anyway I'll definitely look at joining a group.

#11 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

As you can see by my screen name, I don't fly any power kites at all!! I very much take advantage of the control that the Revs can give me! Learning that control is a lifelong journey for most of us! Enjoy that part of the ride!!

wayne from portland

AKA member

#12 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

It looks like you now have a "workable" setup, presumably all four lines the same length, now I'm going to muddy the waters a bit, sorry no malice intended, it's for your own good, honest. :) Have a look on the forum and read up about leaders they will allow you to adjust your setup. Most experienced Rev fliers prefer to fly with a few inches or break set. It aids control but reduces drive so it can make launching a little more difficult so don't go over the top, start with a little may be 2 or 3 inches then increase in increments if maybe 1/2 inches as your skill level improves.

Also the instruction DVD recommends parking the kite leading edge up, experienced Rev fliers will park l/e down as the kite is more secure that way.

Good luck, enjoy the journey and welcome to The Darkside.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#13 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

Lots of good information to be found here... ;)

http://www.kitelife....ideo-tutorials/

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users