• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MarshallPlacid

MarshallPlacid
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hey guys!

I have the Rev 1.5 SLE, but I want to go a little/much faster...

I was thinking about getting the Shockwave as my next kite.

May I ask, all things being equal (same wind speed), between a Rev 1.5 SLE and a Shockwave, how much faster would a Shockwave be?

Just want to get a quick mental picture of how a Shockwave would fly compared to a Rev 1.5 SLE.

#2 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:22 AM

Shockwave goes faster in reverse than SLE goes forward!

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#3 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

A more aerodynamic sail on the Speed Series, leading edge shape & a pronounced (larger diameter) curve built-in (They will dead-launch!), no venting, shorter overall height, the shockwave will do everything 50% faster,. . . . . 60 or 70 mph forward and half of that in reverse.  Even a quicker side-slide. The secret is still control though and that means "owning thy hover".

I've owned all of the speed series kites (except that 4-8 traction monster).  The only one I kept is the Supersonic, it doesn't get to ride in my A-bag either.  It's the smallest and fastest of the bunch.   It's almost impossible to catch (3D flying), as the speed series captures the up-wind and rights itself in a big graceful horseshoe-shaped arc, heading back away from the direction you yanked it into.  Throwing the supersonic is like pitching a javelin though, it cuts thru the wind just as a laser would pass by air undisturbed!

I've run a trick-line around the parameter of the sail (thru the end-caps) so it will flick-flak instantly and not snag a flying line.  Looking at the back of the sail, you'll notice a bunch of knots and washers.  Those need to be snag-proof!  Cover 'em with electrical tape for a quick fix. more permanent is little covers placed over them (3M's 9460 bonding tape & belt-loop width of nylon, poly or dacron, ~no sewing!~ make a perfectly fitting paper template first).

With the trick line installed the supersonic will "drill for oil" (flick-flak rapidly, balancing on the ground, on it's leading edge) which is a cool trick most spectators have never seen.

I'm on a Zen kick right now, because it's summertime in the District of Columbia/mid-altlantic states.  Five months out of the year we have zero wind, no point in carrying a speed series kite or the higher wind fully vented stuff. 

#4 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

All of the Speed Series are much faster than the 1.5 Series; the Supersonic is the fastest of the Speed Series, and totally fun to fly, guaranteed to make you grin from ear to ear. It will do things that the 1.5 Series kite can only dream of, with nearly as much control. I bought my first one two days after the first time I flew one. It is a wee bit smaller than the others in the Speed Series, so you don't get dragged around too much, even in 15mph wind.

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users