#1 lasapcheong

lasapcheong

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 09:39 PM

Hi,

I've recently gotten into Rev Kites and I'll have to say I'm hooked! I have an EXP, 1. 5 and 1.5 SUL and I have 2 questions regarding Rev Kites

I have a Rev 1.5 and a Rev 1.5 SUL. Are the sails the same? Would I be able to switch the sail between the 2 without affecting the original performance of the 1.5 and SUL? I've a green/white rev 1.5 and I would like to swich it to the red/white 1.5 SUL as I see myself flying around the beach more frequently (a bit more partial to red. :kid_content: )

I'm also interested in stacking my EXP, 1.5 and SUL together. Which order would you recommend stacking them, and would 150# lines do for these 3 stacks, in approx 15mph-ish winds? I know the lightest kite would be the last in the stack (SUL in this case) but I'm a bit apprehensive and worried about breaking one of those light spars..

BTW, I fly regularly at Berkley Marina and the winds kinda unpredictable but can get quite strong on certain weekends.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks!
Darryl

#2 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 11 August 2007 - 10:04 PM

Hi,

I've recently gotten into Rev Kites and I'll have to say I'm hooked! I have an EXP, 1. 5 and 1.5 SUL and I have 2 questions regarding Rev Kites

I have a Rev 1.5 and a Rev 1.5 SUL. Are the sails the same? Would I be able to switch the sail between the 2 without affecting the original performance of the 1.5 and SUL? I've a green/white rev 1.5 and I would like to switch it to the red/white 1.5 SUL as I see myself flying around the beach more frequently (a bit more partial to red. :kid_content: )

I'm also interested in stacking my EXP, 1.5 and SUL together. Which order would you recommend stacking them, and would 150# lines do for these 3 stacks, in approx 15mph-ish winds? I know the lightest kite would be the last in the stack (SUL in this case) but I'm a bit apprehensive and worried about breaking one of those light spars..

BTW, I fly regularly at Berkley Marina and the winds kinda unpredictable but can get quite strong on certain weekends.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks!
Darryl

I wouldn't put a heavier frame in the SUL or put it in a stack for that matter, but Rev frames are totally swappable from the same series kites

You can use the frame from the SUL in the EXP or the 1.5 as well or the frame from the 1.5 in the EXP, myself personally I wouldn't use that SUL sail for anything over 10mph regardless what frame is in it. (thats just my personal opinion)

As far as the stacking again I wouldn't add the SUL sail or frame to that either, if you look in the link below you will find a few good posts about stacking and how to go about it.

http://www.revkites....p?showtopic=104
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 08:48 AM

I think the SUL and the regular 1.5 are the same sail (I'm not sure, I don't have a SUL) so the frames should be able to work fine for both.

If you could post pictures of the two sails, I'd be able to tell you if thy are the same (The 1.5 may have Mylar, and the SUL may not). If they aren't the same, I would not suggst putting the 1.5 frame in the SUL.

As for stacking, I would not put your SUL in a stack. But it would be perfectly fine to stack just the EXP and the 1.5.

Spence

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:14 AM

Hi,

I have a Rev 1.5 and a Rev 1.5 SUL. Are the sails the same? Would I be able to switch the sail between the 2 without affecting the original performance of the 1.5 and SUL? I've a green/white rev 1.5 and I would like to swich it to the red/white 1.5 SUL as I see myself flying around the beach more frequently (a bit more partial to red. :kid_content: )

Any advice appreciated

Thanks!
Darryl

The REV 1.5 SLE sail could be the same weight as the SUL(says SLE) and it could be different weights.
Apparently some time in the last 2 or 3 years they have become the same sail, just a different bridle, being that the SUL has a lighter bridle. Even that is apparently not consistent.
Original REV 1.5 SULs sold around 2002 and to some time earlier, definitely did have lighter material sails then the standard SLE, though both said SLE. Original being as shipped by Revolution. There are cases where shops have changed the rods from heavier to lighter. Maybe the reverse, who knows. The lighter material sails included the ripstop polyester, leading edge, bridle and possibly other things.

For trains, places your toughest REV towards the front with the front one having preferably 4 wrap(Revolution Equipped) rods. You can fly an SUL as the last REV, in fact I prefer to do so as long as the wind strength is within the limits of that REV when flown alone. The reason for the lighter REV at the end is to stabilize the train. If the last REV is too heavy and the wind is a bit to light, the last REV will lag behind and sometimes dance around.

As you train lengthens say to about 10 or more, you should have tougher and tougher rods towards the front.
With triple REV1.5 train, you will be fine with 150# lines

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#5 mditty

mditty
  • Forum Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:21 AM

I like what I hear. I was thinking about stacking al summer. I made the extra lines just never found the time or conditions. I'm thinking about leading with a 1.5 SLE and finishing with a baressi (4 wrap or double leading edge depending upon wind conditions). Do you think that's an okay idea.

I would also love to stack the 20th anniversary editions. My family got there hands on some and think that would make an awesome train. I live in West Virginia so its hard to find consistent wind. When it happens I'll definately attach pictures.

Thanks

#6 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:52 AM

I thought the sul sail was diffrent on the leading edge and a fine sail .I beleive the bridle is diffrent as JM said .I was told its a 90lb break and much liter than the sle,it certainly looks it.With that in mind.The sul would be the weakest and should be at the rear.Even with a higher wrapped spars in.The bridle would be questioned if the stack was caught in a good wind and the sul was leading.

BRIAN...PS,I removed all the train kites bridles,i would only do this if yr going to keep the kites in the stack for a while.Also it looked cleaner and better.

#7 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:04 PM

My first SUL had a lighter bridle and frame, but the sail was identical to my SLE.
My later SUL had 1.5 oz ripstop Nylon for the leading edge, as opposed to the 3.9 oz Dacron the first one had.

#8 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:13 PM

I see,,.J ohn Mitchells your man for stacking.He realy helped me with mine.As did some others.Ilike my stacks,ther diffrent again to fly.Mixing them is what kites are about,trying stuff thats diffrent,seeing if things work,fly,can it be improved and then share the knowledge .Help from the guys on here is priceless and rev themselves are human,and thats a bigger bonus.

ROLL ON SUMMER

BRIAN...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users