• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Wezly

Wezly
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:19 AM

Hey Everyone,

I have never flown a quad line before, however, after watching all your awesome videos I decided that getting a Rev 1.5 SLE Standard for my up coming birthday would be an excellent idea! - I'm currently based in Bournemouth, United Kingdom.. however heading down to Croyde, Devon for a weeks holiday this weekend so I'm looking forward to taking advantage of some strong sea breezes. (as well as some surf)

Anyway, just thought I would say Hi - I know the forum has tonnes of great pointers and tips for first timers and I've been doing plenty of research - but thought I would just ask what you guys think are the most important things i need to do/remember when flying a Revolution for the first time?

i'll let you know how I get on!

Luke.

#2 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:12 AM

start with even lines (no, drop them onto a stake and confirm that match EXACTLY before affixing the kite)

relax and let the kite do all of the work

lessen your grip, your squeezing those poor handle things to death!

don't be set into concrete, it's okay to rotate your torso and move your feet

enjoy yourself, it will impact mother earth occasionally

breath

#3 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

Breathe - a lot!!! 

If there is no way out of a crash - GIVE TO THE KITE!! Throw your hands forward, or even step forward, all is to take as much power out of the crash and make it easy! DO NOT PULL! Pulling only speeds up the kite and drives it harder into the crash!!

Start with simple launches - launch a couple of feet up, hover, then land on both tips together! Practice a few at this height, then try higher and then higher! Try to feel the kite, gently correcting any droops, keeping level flight!! You get this, the rest comes pretty easy!!

Have fun!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#4 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

Sticks on the back (sorry, inside joke) so many noobs put the vertical spars on the front and then wonder why the kite won't behave.

Us blokes are famous for not reading the instructions, you should, okay there are no written instructions but you should watch the DVD, I think the one they put out with the SLE is a bit old (we are talking VHS quality), and some of the advice is a little dated but it is still well worth the time spent on a couple of viewings.

It's all in the wrist action, okay not all but for the first few outings it should be. So don't try and fly it like a duel line, it isn't. Pulling on one side of a duel tine turns the kite, on a Rev it has a different effect, but then once you have watched the DVD you will know that. You steer a Rev by gently pushing one thumb forward and applying break, to one side. Don't worry if this seems confusing now, it won't be once you have watched the DVD. Notice a theme here?

Talking of applying Break, you need to read the thread on handle setup and leaders as most experienced Rev fliers like to fly with a certain amount of break set as the default position, this reduces drive but makes a stable hover easier. Don't worry if this is a bit above your head, right now, it will make sense once you have a few hours in.

Keep your elbows tucked in, this makes it difficult to pull one side and encourages wrist action steering, see above.

Relax, it's been said before, but I'll say it again, relax. It will help you feel the kite you can learn a lot from the feedback you get from the kite.

Try to meet up with other Rev fliers, you can learn so much more from a bit face to face guidance.

Last but not least, Enjoy, above all enjoy, this is not work, we do this for fun.

Welcome to the Darkside.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#5 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:59 AM

Try this link,
http://www.revkites....-your-thoughts/
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#6 bbailey49

bbailey49

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

Just have fun. Enjoy the purity of sport powered by Mother Nature.
...ready to fly at a moment's notice

#7 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

Just have fun. Enjoy the purity of sport powered by Mother Nature.

Ditto... fun is the key.

Also powered by Brother Nature if there's no wind...

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#8 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

The only thing you need to know before you start is "trees eat kites". Other than that, no worries, have fun.

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#9 Wezly

Wezly
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:48 PM

Awesome, Thanks for the tips and encouragement.. Even more excited about flying this thing now!

I might persuade one of my family to film the first launch (just for laughs).. watch this space..

Luke.

#10 Phlexipus

Phlexipus
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

If the force is strong Luke, you'll definatly will be a Skywalker with your Rev.. ;)

Welcome! :)

#11 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

Tutorials help...

http://www.kitelife....ideo-tutorials/

But the best thing is finding others to have fun and exchange skills with in person. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#12 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:42 AM

But the best thing is finding others to have fun and exchange skills with in person. wink.png

OK, John. Next time I see you we'll exchange skills, you take mine and I'll take yours!ani_yahoo.gif 

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#13 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

That'd be awesome... It'd be really, really fun to do it all over again. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#14 Murph

Murph

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

HA! I'm sure JB has forgotten more on the subject of kites already than any of us would be able to remember. LOL

Chris

#15 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:14 AM

I must say, if this is your first time flying and you are going to do it where the sea breeze is strong, there will probably be a lot of other people enjoying that area for other than flying kites, I would try to get some practice in where there isn't people around that might get injured.

If the kite is new and you bought it rtf your handles won't be connected yet, equalize your lines close to home before attaching the handles, don't do it at a crowded beach somewhere.

Good luck Luke. Be Careful.

#16 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

Besides equalizing your lines, I'd suggest making some longer top leaders for the handles! Several good threads here on that! They help you adjust the kite's angle of attack into the wind to give you better control over things!! 8-10 mph is a great wind to learn in!! Have fun!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#17 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

Found the link - http://www.revkites....hts/#entry73482  Should give you a good idea of what we've been talking about!

wayne from portland

AKA member

#18 Wezly

Wezly
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

POPULAR

Hey, Great news! I found a quiet field near the beach and flew my rev!

After a few crashes and getting some muscle memory for the turning I tried out some basic hovers and then tried my luck at the 'plumet to the ground and stop a few feet off crashing' trick - with some success! smile.png

I got to fly on 3-4 occasions during the week and found it hard to put the thing down! So thanks for your advice, help and encouragement!

revolution2.jpg

#19 Dayhiker

Dayhiker

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

Your kite is very similar to my first Rev.  Here I am launching during my second session learning to fly.  Still a couple hours away from the ah-hah moment that occurred during the third session.  The pull of the dark side was so strong that I bought a second Revolution Sportwing before I learned to fly the first one.

1-04-13 Haystack Hill Rev 1.5 launch.JPG

May the forest be with you

"I live back in the woods, you see
A woman & the kids, & the dogs & me"

Bocephus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users