Crossed over to the dark side.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Konfuzion

Konfuzion
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:28 AM

Hey all, New quad line flyer here I have the sun burns to prove it. A little back ground on me I first started flying two strings about 25 years ago a friend at school in England let me use his kite he said his father designed kites his last name was Wolfe if I remember correctly. So for the last 25 years I have flown only two strings and quads always interested me but I also figured it was way too hard, fast forward to yesterday I received my first quad a Rev EXP I flew it ALL day long in winds that were pushing it a little bit, maybe 8 to 15 mph. I was amazed the learning curve wasn't too bad a few hours for new to fly comfortably but I am guessing a life time to master. Unfortunately my day ended with a semi hard crash and I got a small slit in the leading edge (I think I hit a rock in the grass) It turns out my lines were badly tangled something I am not to use too with 2 lines and there was just too much fiction for me to stop the Rev before it hit the ground. So with that said are there any good techniques for untangling the strings? Or am I SOL? I am quite sure my two strings are going to collect a lot of dust. Anyway next I am purchasing two full vent 1.5B pros (I think) one for me and one for the wife.

On a side note one of my other hobbies is Harleys, I am sure I look funny as hell pulling up to a park on my Harley long hair, tats, chains etc and then flying a kite oh well that's who I am smile.png

I should add I live in Santa Clarita, anyone in the area know of good places to fly that isn't too far of a drive? I don't mind driving to the beach once every two weeks but I would like to fly in between.

Attached picture is my Prism Legacy, ITW Kymera by Barresi, 2x Symphony 1.8 and the Revolution EXP.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-06-08 22.12.36.jpg

#2 Konfuzion

Konfuzion
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:43 AM

I should add going from two strings to four, while it wasn't to hard for me every time I pulled a handle to turn and went into a massive spin I was laughing at myself. May take a few more flights to break that habit.

#3 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:22 AM

To turn, use your thumbs only (unless your last name is "smith"), pulling the handles creates a slide!  Turns are rotational: not left or right, but clock-wise or counter-clockwise.  Imagine you stop at every corner or intersection, gradually stop more & more often until it's quarter turn rotations, then go to eighths.  Try to hold your position and rotate on the center of the kite's rotational point.  Okay, try to rotate it on the tips instead, forward first, but backing up eventually as well.

The first thing to practice is the cartwheel.  You should be able to roll the kite over (from leading edge on the ground) and NOT drag that leading edge, instead balancing it on the corner.  S-L-O-W, stop, hover.  This means you don't have to do the "walk of shame".  For newbies, it's the first serious skill to acquire, because you don't need anyone to help you anymore.

Eventually you must face the leading edge at the ground and be confident you got it hovering steadily.  This is the spot where adjustable leaders are going to come into play.  How much "down" is tuned into the handles determines how easy it is to hold the kite inverted.  In low wind you might be walking backwards to hold a stationary hover. (from the pilot's perspective)

The most important part is to enjoy yourself,... Rev kites are a lifetime of acquisition pleasure and changing skills.  Every time you think you've got it all mastered, somebody lays a new thingy on ya' that is unbelievable!  You look forward to attending kite events and seeing friends who share the same activities.

Quit now, while there's still hope you can be saved from the dark-side's evil influence over your wallet and family's calendar.

#4 Konfuzion

Konfuzion
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:00 AM

Thanks for the reply Revflyer. I understand the basics of flying a quad but that doesn't change the 25 years of flying two strings and that habit making me want to pull on the handles to turn.

#5 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:43 AM

Welcom, and fly that EXP to hell and back! My first rev was an EXP and it was awesome to start on.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#6 Konfuzion

Konfuzion
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:01 AM

Welcom, and fly that EXP to hell and back! My first rev was an EXP and it was awesome to start on.

I'm planning on flying the EXP for about a month and then ordering the other two.

#7 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:03 AM

Welcome -- get out and fly. The more you fly, the better you get. The better you get, the more fun you have. The more fun you have, the more kites you get. The more kites you have, the more you fly. The more you fly........the more obsessed you become. Welcome to the darkside.

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#8 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:54 AM

What do you mean by tangles? Like a spaghetti mess? You're not SOL, just need to take your time to separate all 4 lines and start all over. Sounds like way to early to be thinking 1.5b pro's,  they'll crash and burn just as easy as the exp only with a higher price tag involved. Check out the video on line management, maybe you started out wrong, with your line set.

#9 Konfuzion

Konfuzion
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

What do you mean by tangles? Like a spaghetti mess? You're not SOL, just need to take your time to separate all 4 lines and start all over. Sounds like way to early to be thinking 1.5b pro's,  they'll crash and bifurn just as easy as the exp only with a higher price tag involved. Check out the video on line management, maybe you started out wrong, with your line set.

I was doing flat spins and 360's and yeah I ended up with a knotted mess, or spaghetti as you said. I only crashed once on my first day and that was due to tangled lines, so I think after a month of practice on the exp I think I will be ok to switch to the 1.5B pro if I'm wrong I guess that comes with a nice price tag like you said.

#10 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

It may take an hour or so to untangle your lines but they will separate, just take your time and do one line at a time and set it aside until you have the 4 lines next to each other, pair them off with a handful of screwdrivers then back on your handles and winder. Check out the line management video and this will probably be your last tangled mess. I don't use the figure 8 wrap on the quad sets, just a straight wrap.

#11 Konfuzion

Konfuzion
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

It may take an hour or so to untangle your lines but they will separate, just take your time and do one line at a time and set it aside until you have the 4 lines next to each other, pair them off with a handful of screwdrivers then back on your handles and winder. Check out the line management video and this will probably be your last tangled mess. I don't use the figure 8 wrap on the quad sets, just a straight wrap.

Killer thanks for the advice.

#12 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:29 AM

Where to start with the lines? OK, I hope you at least larksheaded the pairs together (left top and bottom, right top and bottom)! If you have a space big enough to stretch out your set, try this!! If all you did was spin and so much that your lines bound up, it should be a simple thing to take all the wraps out of your lines! I'm going to go on this premise!!

Put your handles on and stake them apart by a couple of feet! Stretch out your set of lines away from the handles. Milk the "tangle" as far down the set as you can! If they're only twisted and you kept the sides isolated, you should be able to work the twists out! TRY TO DO THIS BEFORE "fishing out a single line"!! If everything works out, keeping things in pairs, there are no real knots, just twists!! If you tried to untangle by "fishing out line by line", then it's a long term mess, only conquered by time and patience!!

Watch JB's tutorial on line management - if done properly, you will almost never have a line mess again on unwinding! Flying - you're on your own!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#13 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

You forgot "breathe"

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#14 Konfuzion

Konfuzion
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for all the advice!

#15 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:23 PM

Welcome to the dark side Konfuzion. smile.png

Don't forget the other kites, I like to keep one toe in pretty much everything...

The more you fly, the more you'll know. smile.png

Full list of KL Rev tutorials...

http://www.kitelife....ideo-tutorials/

Reading your posts above, I'm guessing these subscriber tutorials might really clarify some things...

Apologies, more than half our tutorials are free on YouTube but a few (like those above) are only available to KiteLife subscribers.

One way or the other, Rev fliers make up an awesome community and you'll keep finding more and more fun things to do with your new kites. smile.png

Cheers and good winds!

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#16 Konfuzion

Konfuzion
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

Welcome to the dark side Konfuzion. smile.png

Don't forget the other kites, I like to keep one toe in pretty much everything...

The more you fly, the more you'll know. smile.png

Full list of KL Rev tutorials...

http://www.kitelife....ideo-tutorials/

Reading your posts above, I'm guessing these subscriber tutorials might really clarify some things...

Apologies, more than half our tutorials are free on YouTube but a few (like those above) are only available to KiteLife subscribers.

One way or the other, Rev fliers make up an awesome community and you'll keep finding more and more fun things to do with your new kites. smile.png

Cheers and good winds!

Hi there thanks for the reply, I am quite sure I own a few kits designed by you :D

I took the Rev out yesterday for about the 6th time and I am getting much more comfortable with the controls, I think most of my habitual two string stuff is gone. I will check out the vids when I have some free time, thanks. I am getting close to picking up a 1.5 B Pro full vent, trying to figure out what wraps I want to get. And worry not when I take the kits out I always start with the Rev now but end up using my two strings too, they are still a ton of fun.

#17 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

You have to lose the "string" idea - they're lines!!! SHHH - don't want to wake the noob police!!ani_idea.gif

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#18 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

Hmmm...  I thought that it was OK to refer to string and sticks.

Felix <grins>

#19 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

I know when I ordered a few line sets from Theresa ant then paid their import duty I thought £200 was a lot oof money to pay for string. But then again, Theresa does tie a wicked line set.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#20 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:18 AM

I always thought it was "poles and cords". Hmm, must have been mistaken.

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users