Old Kite

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Controlled Crash

Controlled Crash
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

Hello everyone.  New to the forum, old to kiting.

To make a short story long, I was cleaning out the kite closet and decided to set up several of my *old vintage kites. I thought, "Hey, Check 'em out on Youtube". Found videos to most all the two line kites I have, except for the Advantage Classic by Revolution. I may not have ninja Google skills, but the only reference I found was on this site, and only in one place here. I figured if any place had the answers to my queries, this would be it.

Questions:

What gives? Okay, okay, perhaps to broad...

Do I own the crazy uncle, of Revolution Kites, that no one talks about? Do I need to search for "the kite that shalt not be mentioned"?

How long where they made? I thought I bought mine late 1995 to early 1996. I could be wrong, but I thought I bought it before my daughter was born. The one mentioned here says 1997.

How many were made? There doesn't seem to be many claiming to own them...

Is there some shame that I should be feeling? It flies great. Only one other "vintage" kite of mine has more flying time than the Advantage.

How much was the origional sticker price? I have slept since then.

Does the Advantage Classic count toward "How many Revs do you own?" If so, I have two. My other is a 1.5 SLE that I bought two winters ago.

*Old/vintage-  The difference seems to be whether or not you own one. If you don't, it's old. If you do, it's vintage. I never thought of the kites as being old. I guess some of them are, it just not how I see them. I have only flown a few times in the past 15 years. Moving from a condo on the Gulf in Galveston to Kansas dramatically reduces chances to fly, that and a family and a new job. Got bit by the kit bug again and plan on flying much more this year.

#2 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

Hey CC, Welcome to the forum, glad to hear you've picked up the handles again. Don't know the answer to your question, but track down RevFlyer (John Mitchell), he'll have your answers for sure. Again welcome smile.png

Michael

"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:06 PM

RevFlyer is Paul LaMasters, you're looking for our resident Rev historian, RevWizard (aka John Mitchell). :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

A picture could help too. I'm curious.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

Isn't Advantage aan early Rev spar?
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#6 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

Indoor Rev!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#7 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

Thanks, I knew I had heard of it before.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#8 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

The Advantage Classic was a Dual Line kite with Advantage rods.  I believe it was designed by Ron Reich.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#9 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

Exactly what I was thinking. The labels on the old Rev Indoor rods said "Advantage 1.5."

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#10 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

If I recall correctly there were two different dual line kites marketed by Revolution. One of them as Simon mentioned was developed by Ron Reich. The other was developed by Dodd Gross.

I don't at the moment recall the names of the dual line kites. I will have to investigate that maybe tonight(PST).

Now the rods whether they say Revolution or Advantage are all made on the same machine. The labels and lengths may vary.

Back in the early 90s Revolution made Rod kits for kites such as the North Shore Radical. They were called Advantage.

In general rods labeled Advantage were for dual line kites, labeled advantage for their quad line Revolution kites. However I have had 6 wrap Rev I rods labeled Advantage STIFF and my very early Rev Indoor still has rods labeled Advantage 1.5, as Wayne previously mentioned.

I know there is more on this subject, however I can't recall it at the moment.

Maybe Lolly will have time to elaborate more.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#11 jean-francois

jean-francois
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 02:05 PM

Very interesting post!

Imagine the same 15 years ago.

Youtube? ani_whistling.gif

Ninja Google Skills? ani_sleep.gif

The main point for me is the lack of online information about the history of Rev kites, Rev Tubes, Rev Mods.

This forum is great : if you do not find someting, you can ask and (I have tested a few days ago) you have answers ani_victory.gif

But we need a stronger "reference". Lolly, Ron, Dodd, RevWizard and the others... now we need a book!

(well... I know this is a lot of work)

#12 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 05:48 PM

Very interesting post!

The main point for me is the lack of online information about the history of Rev kites, Rev Tubes, Rev Mods.

This forum is great : if you do not find someting, you can ask and (I have tested a few days ago) you have answers ani_victory.gif

But we need a stronger "reference". Lolly, Ron, Dodd, RevWizard and the others... now we need a book!

A lot of what you have ordered may be found at:

http://johnnmitchell...tory/index.html

Enjoy!

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#13 Controlled Crash

Controlled Crash
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. The labels on the old Rev Indoor rods said "Advantage 1.5."

The Upper spreader says "The Advantage - 2". The lower spreaders say "The Advantage - 3"

#14 Controlled Crash

Controlled Crash
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

You would just have to imagine it a bit slower with a 56k dial-up modem, even slower with the 32k dial-up modem.

#15 Controlled Crash

Controlled Crash
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

A lot of what you have ordered may be found at:

http://johnnmitchell...tory/index.html

Enjoy!

I have looked through that site, very interesting. I was hoping to find out some production numbers. I'm not sure I want to know how much I payed for it either...

I'll see if I can get a pic up in the next couple of days, I have to work this weekend so it might be Monday or Tuesday. It is the one with half a yen/yang in the center with "The Advantage Classic by Revolution" in a circle around it. There are also 2 small silhouettes of the four line Rev's in the center.  It is green, pink, blue, and black. Hope that helps on narrowing down who designed it.

#16 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

Okay, here are the two, known to me, Revolution dual line kites:

In 1997 there was the "Advantage Classic Delta"

AdvantageClassicDelta.png

In 1998 there was the "Phase 2".

Phase2.png

I do know this about the "Advantage" label on the rods:

- a 2 indicates 2 wrap

- a 3 indicates 3 wrap

- STIFF indicates 6 wrap

- a 1.5 is for the Revolution INDOOR

There was also a Revolution UFO that is normally flown single line but can be flown dual or quad line. This was developed by Lee Sedgwick.

#17 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:54 PM

I have looked through that site, very interesting. I was hoping to find out some production numbers. I'm not sure I want to know how much I payed for it either...

I'll see if I can get a pic up in the next couple of days, I have to work this weekend so it might be Monday or Tuesday. It is the one with half a yen/yang in the center with "The Advantage Classic by Revolution" in a circle around it. There are also 2 small silhouettes of the four line Rev's in the center.  It is green, pink, blue, and black. Hope that helps on narrowing down who designed it.

For production numbers, that is almost like asking Amazon for production numbers of their Kindle. Amazon to this date has not released officially any production numbers for their Kindle.

For the Revolution numbers, You could TRY asking Revolution directly.

#18 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

Very interesting post!

I always thought about writing a book on the Revolution, however the time and effort to do so would never come even close to paying for it. The audience is way too small. Thus I created my Revolution History on my web site as an inexpensive alternative.

#19 Controlled Crash

Controlled Crash
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

Nice find. Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I must have bought it before we moved, which would have been early 1997. I could have sworn it was earlier than '97 The Advantage Classic Delta is the kite I have, just with a different color scheme. Guaranteed for life- nice to know.

Hopefully it also helps you with your Revolution history. I will try to contact them directly, I just assumed a few of the people who work there might visit here. I will be happy to share any information I receive, if you wish. 

#20 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

I don't remember what year the original delta was released, but I know for certain it was no later than '95 -- and it wouldn't surprise me if it were '93 or '94.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users