• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 afasoccerguy

afasoccerguy
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hey Everyone,

I am new the forum and new to quad kites.  I recently purchased a NTK Volksquad and from the reviews I read it was great kite to learn how to fly quads on.  Plus the price was in my range. Unfortnately it seems that the online reviews and kite flyer  reviews on other forums differ greatly.  I have to find out that the Volkquad is touchy, doesnt have the effective wind range for novice flyer the company states and that I should have bought a Rev first, because its easier to fly the Volkquad after youve flown revs.  So I have an essently brand new Volksquad thats never been flown (i had to get my original replaced do to factory issues) but I equalled out the lines, that I am scared to fly because I do not want to get frastrated flying it and give up on quads all together. So I am looking to find a good rev that is used that I can use as a learning platform.  I would definately be interested in a trade, should someone like to be the new owner of my volksquad.  I do not think that I will be taking the volksquad out flying for awhile. 

Any suggestions and tips would be great.  My original one would never take off and had a tendency to hop across the field as I attempted take off.   I have already been told to watch jeff's rev videos.  But from what I gathered from other sites, I might have choosen the wrong quad to learn on...

#2 flyatx

flyatx
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

I learned on a volksquad. I broke the main cross spar...too windy. I had to sew the leading edge where one of the vertical spars poked through. Lets just say I beat the heck out of it learning to fly quad line. I watched John Barresi tutorial vids and I tamed the beast. Then bought a Rev 1.5 B series. Easy to fly compared to the Volksquad and I didn't beat the heck out with rookie crashes. I broke out the volksquad this spring after two years on the shelf and I felt like driving a bus without power steering. Rev 1.5 feels like a F1 racer with paddle shifters.
The NTK handles are big bulky things whereas rev handles are more refined.
IMHO I would learn on the beast then step up to the best. Welcome to the world of Quad!

#3 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

Learning to fly any quad-line kite can be very difficult if you don't have someone to help you learn. You may have the same problems learning on a Rev, even though it is more forgiving to the beginner. Don't give up on quads in general just because it's hard to learn. When I first started, you would probably look at me and say "He's pathetic". I learned mostly on my own with a home-made quad which would give even a seasoned pro a hard time for a minute, until he got used to its flying characteristics.

Find someone in your area or travel to the nearest kite fests being held throughout the country this summer, (there will probably be two or three within reasonable driving distance), and let the flyers there lend a you hand. Most kite fliers are very friendly and will help you because they want to.

Stick with it. You will soon have a "breakthrough" moment and gain control; then the real fun part of the learning curve begins.

Good luck, good flying, and welcome to the dark side!

P.S. -- My avatar is the home-built I mentioned.

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#4 rexracer

rexracer
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

I'm pretty new to quads, too. I bought my first Rev last year about this time. I had some 2 line experience, mostly just ripping around the sky since I'm self taught and have never had a better flyer to learn from. That Rev probably cost me more than I've spent on all the other kites I've owned combined. I flew that kite (full sail SLE) for about 2 hours and ordered a B series vented that week. Watch some of Johns videos, get it streight in your head how to go forward, turn and stop, then go fly your kite. Whats the worse thing that could happen? If you're low to the ground, a crash shouldn't do any major damage, and if you're high up and see a big crash coming, run toward the kite. When you give to the kite you take all of the power out of the sail and the speed, and the hit, will be less.

I didn't know any of this when I started, and I never did more than bounce the kite off of the ground a few times. No damage.

I say go for it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users