13 replies to this topic

#1 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

Does anyone know what would cause regular failure of the O-ring that holds the bungee cord for the top vertical?

My flying buddy has broken 3 and today I had one of mine go. This has been over probably the past 8 months.

I have spares and I know how to field repair this but it seems too frequent to me and I'm wondering what the cause may be.

When mine went I saw it immediately and landed the kite (full sail, almost no wind) to check it. I found half the piece still on the rev so I've attached a photo. It looks like one side is a clean flat break and the other side is rough. I couldn't find the other half in the sand and we've never recovered any of Johnny's pieces so I'm not sure if his broke the same.

The kite I was flying is a pro that's 18 months old and well looked after. Anyone know if this is normal and what might be causing it?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20130602_200311.jpg

#2 QuadCrazy

QuadCrazy
  • Forum Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

Interesting... I'll go check one of mine.

I can tell if that's plastic, or rubber.

Be right back :)

Mark

"Live in the Solution, not MY Illusion...

Wait I think I have that backwards"
MT 2-15-2010

Mark Thorn
Seattle, WA, USA, Earth (I think)

#3 QuadCrazy

QuadCrazy
  • Forum Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

I see two things that may be an issue.

I only have one new era kite (Bazzer S&S), the rest of mine are early 2000-01 REV 1.5 SUL, Vented, re-roded SLE.

That will change soon.

1. The O-ring material in my early Rev's appears to be high pressure air hose sliced in to rings. It has a braided core between outer and inner layer (survives tension load better).

The current ring (water valve seal? - prefers compression) doesn't have the braided support. Mine is elongated in the stored state too. I do fly this kite daily, if not multiple times. I am going to cut up some hose and replace.
I street fly this kite in close quarters a lot. A failure could be bad news for me.

2. Bungee is under continuous tension.

The first thing I noticed when I handled a new kite, the rods didn't fall out of the leading edge pocket.

Bungees are tighter right out of the box. This could be an old change and I didn't notice.

I haven't had my hands on any other Revs over those ten years. (They don't let me out much)

Excuse the crap cell phone pics, but you can make out the difference in the material.

http://www.revkites....e-leading-edge/

Just my two cents,

Mark

MT 2-15-2010

Mark Thorn

#4 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

The current O-rings are screw bezels -- fastener aisle at your local hardware store. Made of nylon usually, but they all hold up very well. I never had one break, even on hard impact.

The ones that have broken may have had manufacturing defects. Carefully inspect replacements for molding issues.

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#5 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

Sometimes there's a batch of ones that don't last so long. \

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 QuadCrazy

QuadCrazy
  • Forum Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

The material of this washer is semi soft. (Crap cell picture - I'll reshoot later)

(Kite - Master Series Stars and Stripes) New 11/2012

It's not plastic, it has a the consistency of kitchen sink faucet seal. It has elongated

I think heat cycling even in a stored state under tension may be an issue.

Nice sunny, and black parts (hot soft parts)

I may unload the bungee until I replace it with slice high pressure hose.

http://www.revkites....nk-water-valve/

MT 2-15-2010

Mark Thorn

#7 mdilucca

mdilucca

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

It happend to me too so I'm going to replace all the upper bungies with zip ties in all my kites to prevent this again  kid_smartass.gif

Cheers

Mario

Cheers

Mario

Island_quad_logoSmall_50_zps817bf301.jpg

#8 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

One way I solved the ring problem in the past was to eliminate the rings and tie the ends of the bungees together with a "fisherman's knot".

I have not had any problems with this method.

Go to : http://www.gutenberg...0-h/13510-h.htm and look at Fig. 17 & 18.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#9 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

Bought some faucet washers at Home Depot - 10 for a buck - and keep them in my kite bag! $0.10 fix!! Mario - keep a look out on those zip ties, they could rub your sail with the cut ends!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#10 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:08 PM

@Watty

The kites are spread enough over time that I doubt it was a batch issue

@Mario

You are a hardcore madman :P

@RevWizard

Not a bad idea ... I used that exact knot this weekend to do a temp bridle repair for my buddy when he was playing on a concrete structure and burned right thru a bridle loop.

I guess the other question that needs to be asked is "what is the purpose of these o-rings?"

It seems to me that they exist just to make adjusting tension a bit easier, otherwise they would just be tied together like the leading edge cords. If that is the case, then the knot mentioned by RevWizard would seem to be a good replacement that still allows for adjustment if need be.

#11 QuadCrazy

QuadCrazy
  • Forum Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

My guess, O-ring was there to spread the load and reduce fraying and stress on the hole rim

MT 2-15-2010

Mark Thorn

#12 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:55 AM

Using the original bungee, it is kind of difficult to tie the Fisherman's knot because of the shortness of the bungee. A longer piece would be easier for tying the knot, then cutting the ends.

For production time/costs, I would say the ring is easier to install and get the length correct.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#13 Murph

Murph

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

I feel your pain Steven ...and on a pro too, ouch.

As has been said already the older Revs used rubber o-rings or cut off rubber hose, have had to replace them before on a very very old Rev and then again on a printed Rev that arrive without any o-rings on. 

So if you've ever ripped out kitchen cabinets from your house, you'll have noticed the use of these small 'hinge hole cover caps' ...the ones on our cabinets were mahogany colored but if that doesn' fit your look, eBay has them in black too. You can use either the cap (drill a hole in them) or the plug end (which has a hole in it already.

hinge%20cap.jpg

BTW I for one never tire of hearing all those old stories of what kite makers had to 'make do' with, of those bits'n'bobs they found around the house, workshop, or even eye'ing up bits from their kids toys ...the time before we had all these off the shelf parts to hand.

Anyways hope thats of some help.

Chris

#14 Murph

Murph

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

Actually sorry didn't read that properly.

Your problem was with the top verticals!!!

...I was thinking you were talking about the o-rings located on the bottom vertical on the rear of the sail. I'm thinking that those little hinge covers might not work on the top verticals ...not sure it'd leave enough space to get the bungee through twice, though you could use two ...but I think that might be a botch job, not for the likes of using on a pro, me thinks.

The other options from other forum members made a lot of sense, I think. But the hinge cover should be one you keep in mind for if or when the rear sail ones do go.

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users