Which 1.5B??

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gasmanwj

Gasmanwj
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

I am looking to buy my first Rev, and unfortunately I am on a budget so can only afford one! Having read some of the threads on this forum I have decided (I think) on a Rev 1.5B but what I am not sure about and would welcome some advice on is which 1.5B to get ie standard, mid vent or full vent. We generally get plenty of breeze down here in the south of England and so it's likely that I will do most of my flying in winds between 5 and 20mph. Ideally I guess I would have several kites but at the moment it has to be just one, so which one?
Thanks
Bill

#2 Madquad

Madquad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

Mid-Vented with Race Frame and 3 Wrap frame + 4 Wrap LE

80 and 120 ft linesets

It's not the size of your Rev.. its how you use it.
Seven days without flying a Rev makes one weak.

http://www.air-4-ce.nl

batch-air4ce.jpg?w=230&h=230

#3 West Australian

West Australian

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:47 PM

Hey Dude,

What wind range do you expect to fly in most often?

WA

B Series Standard, Mid-Vent and Vented In a Hard Case.

Supersonic and 1.5 Ghost SUL too

#4 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

If you really think you will only ever be able to own one Rev then Madquad is right the mid vent is probably a good move, but buying one Rev is like buying one golf club buy a putter and you are okay on the punning green but a laughing stock at the driving range and likewise buy a driver and you have the opposite problem. Many people buy one Rev for an occasional couple of hours on a sunny Sunday afternoon and are happy with that but if you want to take this more seriously you will eventually need more than one Rev. Have a read of this thread. http://www.revkites....rev/#entry87611
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#5 Gasmanwj

Gasmanwj
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for all of the advice so far. It is hard to say what the normal wind range that I will fly in would be as it depends if I am inland or on the coast but I guess it will mostly be between 5 & 15mph. I am not saying I will never buy a second Rev simply that at the moment (and for the next few months) I can only afford one and want to make sure I get the most appropriate one first! 

At the moment I am leaning towards getting the standard first, it seems to cover the wind range I am likely to encounter and as a beginner I am less likely to fly the Rev in higher winds initially I think - have other kites I can fly then :) That would then mean I could get a full vent later.

Would that be the way?

Bill

#6 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

Sounds like a good plan! Get the std "B" with 2 frames (2+3, or race + 3), handles and lines, then as finances allow get a "kite-only" full vent with whatever frame you are missing (4)! No need to double up on handles, same frames, etc!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#7 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

Sounds like a good plan! Get the std "B" with 2 frames (2+3, or race + 3), handles and lines, then as finances allow get a "kite-only" full vent with whatever frame you are missing (4)! No need to double up on handles, same frames, etc!!<br />
<br /><br />I disagree slightly... When you get your second kite (it WILL happen) get that as a package too. But get a different line length. Most packages come with 80 footers which is great solo stuff, but as the bug bites you'll want options. 120 foot lines are great for flying with others. 50 footers are great for 3D and smaller spaces. With the second package you can set up 2 kites and quickly swap to suit the winds or you mood. Get the THIRD as a sail only and you'll have 3 kites, 2 set up to fly, and 1 spare frame to extend their range higher/lower depending. This will cost extra initially but WHEN you get a taste of the Dark Side....

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#8 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

SparkleRob has this so right, it's always goo to have spare handles especially, but don't let us push you into spending too much money too quickly, there is no rush, we are thinking ahead for you, because we have the benefit of hindsight, and can see where this journey is likely to take you. On a slightly different subject, see if you can find yourself a Rev mentor, it will make those first few outings so much easier, if you don't find one, even if you do, see if you can make it to Portsmouth Kite Festival, August bank holiday weekend,you will meet other rev fliers and learn so much.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#9 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:25 AM

To true. If I could go back in time and give myself advice, the kites I have now would be different.... But you know hind sight. Pick a sail type that suits your winds, then pick a colour scheme you like. The rest will work itself out.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#10 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

If you want a 1.5b to start with and you're on a budget, I'd get a lesser of a first rev 1.5 to beat on, an exp with handles, instructions, video, line set, and a 120' line set to boot, will be a lot cheaper, if you was budget minded. Once you learn to drive, then buy your Corvette.

#11 Gasmanwj

Gasmanwj
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

Thanks everybody for the really useful advice. I think I am pretty much settled now on getting a standard 1.5B as a package, and then in a few months time look to pick up a vented 1.5B. I understand that finding a mentor would be the best plan, anyone know of anyone flying Rev's in or around Hampshire in the UK? I'm definitely going to try and get to teh Portsmouth Kite Festival later in the summer.

Bill

#12 West Australian

West Australian

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hi Bro, sounds like you have your plan.

I started with the Standard 1.5B package deal.

Just like Rob says, if you can get the package deal Vented you will be set up nicely.

I got my Mid vent as Sail only.

Let us know how you get on

B Series Standard, Mid-Vent and Vented In a Hard Case.

Supersonic and 1.5 Ghost SUL too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users