22 replies to this topic

#21 Murph

Murph

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

I've heard of many of the above fixes, can't attest to freezing rods or using nail polish remover (must keep them in mind though) ...but I can say that I've gone down the boil water route and it worked for me that time.

Chris

#22 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

FWIW I have used "Beacon 527" glue to repair a number of external ferrules and internal dowels on dual and rev kites. I cannot swear that I have not had to redo a fix done with this glue, since I have had a few rods that needed to be fixed twice (other end or fixed end?). Advantages - it remains very slightly flexible and resists drying out or crystalizing, so it takes the bending well; it sets up and cures overnight, so take your time spreading, spinning, adjusting and wiping off excess; no mixing, it is similar to the old "Duco Cement", but much stronger.

I have also used this glue to make kite stakes - golf balls on fiberglass rods - with no failures yet.  Also to reglue the foam rubber to quad handles. It has lasted better than the original glues.

Has anyone else had experiences, good or bad, with this glue?

-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#23 Captainbob

Captainbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:02 AM

Thanks for the advice Tom.
I followed your steps almost exactly, but used crazy glue in place of the epoxy.

The reason I said epoxy is overkill is I've had to fix a ferrule on almost every center spar I own. I've fixed them all with crazy glue, and after the fix, not one of them has broke loose again. I'm thinking I will change to epoxy though, not because of its adhesive properties, but because I can mix it so it doesn't set instantly. On this recent repair, I dropped the spar, and literally within the 5 seconds that it took me to pick it up, the crazy glue had set into all the little rough areas I had purposefully sanded onto the ferrule/spar. It is glued very well now.

Nail polish remover awaits! Tonight.

Not a Rev expert, but many years of RC aircraft building and maintenance. The advantage of epoxy versus super glue, is that epoxy is a bit more flexible when it is dry. Therefore it would resist shocks, bending, etc, where the superglue joint could fracture again. In addition, if you use a good 5 minute epoxy, it will give you plenty of time to properly set the position of what you are gluing. 

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users