Hi from the UK.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guzzi rider

Guzzi rider
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

Hi folks. First post from a first time Rev user. Only flown it twice so far as its been too cold (sub zero and snowing on my days off work) but now on a weeks holiday so should get some air time :-) . My rev is an SLE full sail red and black plus a set of ul rods. First flight was a disaster, just could not keep it in the air. Second time out was much better, yep you guessed it, verticals were the wrong side of the sail. RTFM. LOL. Already gleaned a lot of info from this forum and hope to contribute in the future.

All the best. Steve.
Steve Bradley.

#2 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Hi Steve,and sign_welcome.gif  SLE is a great first kite,hope you get some good air time on it this week.

Have a good one Michael

"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#3 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Welcom Steve. Plenty of good info here. Glad to here you got that sorted :-)

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#4 pond44

pond44
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

Welcome Steve, just like I found out, great forum for finding the right way to do things. And a nice bunch of blokes.

Fly happy, John.

"The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas".ani_idea.gif

#5 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

Ever got a question, just ask!! ani_idea.gif

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#6 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

Welcome to the "Family"...... Benani_victory.gif ani_victory.gif ani_victory.gif 

#7 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:45 PM

Hi,welcome to the Forum and welcome to The Darkside.

big_starwars.gif 

One piece of advice, don't struggle on alone try and find other Rev fliers, an afternoon with a good mentor will make the learning curve a much easier journey, save you weeks of learning from trial and error.

I don't know if you've figured this out yet, but us Rev fliers are a gregarious bunch and we tend to gather in clusters, I don't know of any in Kent but The Decorators gather on Black Heath, there are a few fliers around Clacton in Essex, and there is another large group (including but not exclusively, The Flying Squad), that fly on Dunstable Downs in Bedfordshire. I am one of the Dunstable fliers but I'm having to a break from flying at the moment so sorry I can't offer to help myself, but I'm sure someone will soon come forward and offer some F2F help.

Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#8 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:12 AM

If you don't get to meet up with others, see if you can get along to a kite festival sometime - the Portsmouth kite festival over August Bank Holiday weekend has traditionally had quite a gathering of Rev flyers.  These are great opportunities to talk all things kite and pick up a load of ideas.  When you're ready - basics covered: flying with controlled speed, hover at any point of the clock face - they can also introduce you to the fun of team flying.

BTW: a set of 120 foot lines is a worthwhile investment...

Above all else, *have fun*!

Andy

#9 oapbillf

oapbillf

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:19 AM

Hi Steve,

All that Stone in Shoe Bob states is very good advice ! without him as my mentor and others on Dunstable Downs I would be

way behind the learning curve !

Blackheath, Sunday 10.30  onwards and the same at Dunstable Downs will usually catch Revs in action but with the

up and coming festivals some fliers will be away, see the calender link. http://www.kitecalendar.co.uk/

We have a new Rev flier on the Downs, Mark, not a member yet but I keep nagging him, and after only a couple of weekends

his skill set has improved with a few tips from the rest of us!

Bill

http://www.kitecalendar.co.uk/

#10 Guzzi rider

Guzzi rider
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:48 AM

Thanks for the welcome and advise so far. Meeting with other users might prove difficult as I work three from four weekends :-(. Did manage a couple of hours yesterday at the local park, wind very variable from pulling me across the field to nothing at all. Lots of take off and landing practice LOL. Need more practice. Most fun I've had with a kite since I bought a five metre pkd buster power kite. Looking forward to working my way through the tutorials. Thanks again folks, I'll keep you updated as I progress.
Steve Bradley.

#11 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

Like others have said - if you get the chance to meet up with some experienced Rev fliers - it will really accelerate your learning! I understand the difficulty, but if you somehow can shake loose, go for it!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#12 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

Welcome Steve! :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#13 Guzzi rider

Guzzi rider
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:55 PM

Welcome Steve! :)

Wow!! A message from the gods ! ;-)
Thanks John, I've Lost count of the number of times I've watched your videos and feel I have learnt a lot from them. To all others who have both welcomed me and offered advice I thank you and assure you I will take it on board, particularly about flying with others. I WILL seek out Rev flyers locally and learn from them. Already worked out I need a vented to slow things down a bit when the wind's up, why isn't there a Rev with a zip out panel for higher winds ? Lol ;-) Raining again today so no flying, back to the videos :-(. Thanks again all.
Steve Bradley.

#14 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

It's coming up to winter hear in Oz. Don't let the rain put you off. Put a hat on under a raincoat hood to keep the rain off your face. I have a saying for wet weather flying, "put extra layers on and stop when your skin feels wet."

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#15 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:23 AM

you could make you own vent covers (affixed w/velcro buttons) but you are adding some more weight and affecting the lower end of the wind range.  Dave Ashworth has a home-built with 3 vents on each wing and covers for each, you open or close according to the variable conditions.  While the rest of us fiddle around with switching-out frames and different sail/venting configurations,... Dave just keeps right on flying!

#16 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

Wow!! A message from the gods ! ;-)
. . . . .
Thanks Already worked out I need a vented to slow things down a bit. . . . .

Reading this I'm wondering if you are missing a trick here. When I bought my first Rev the official line was you fly with all four lines the same length. However most experienced fliers flew, and still do, with "break applied". This is done by tying extra knots in the break line leaders on the handles. If you buy a B series they come with pre tied leaders on the handles, but the SLE just had plain leaders, that was a while back, the SLE may now come with pre tied leaders but if it doesn't you need to investigate there are threads on the forum, I'll find the if you need them. Flying with "Break Applied" by default kills excess drive and makes the hover much more achievable.
Stone in Shoe Bob

#17 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:43 AM

Try this link, http://www.revkites....-your-thoughts/ I thought there was another that goes into "why" but I can't find it sorry.
Stone in Shoe Bob

#18 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

To the best of my knowledge, SLEs still come with a short (equal to bottom) top leader!! The "B" series has long top leaders, but even those are usually replaced with longer ones! 

wayne from portland

AKA member

#19 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:48 AM

Also, if you're a KiteLife subscriber, this tutorial is pretty thorough on the subject. ;)

https://kitelife.com...-i-hd-1280x720/

Equally important is Sail Loading...

http://kitelife.com/...ng-hd-1280x720/

Have fun!

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#20 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

hi, and welcome to the "darkside" -- have lots of fun first, then worry about how you did it.

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users