5 replies to this topic

#1 Bmwbob

Bmwbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:02 AM

All I have for my Power Blast kites is 100' line sets.
Our local beaches are too highly populated for me to feel comfortable occupying that much sky (and possible ground!). I would need a snorkel to get far enough out into the surf line to avoid overflying sunbathers. (Might as well take up kite surfing!)
Since I haven't tried it yet, can someone comment on the pros and cons of dropping down to 60 or even 50 foot lines for these monsters when used with a buggy?
I am a fairly low time Rev pilot and wonder if I would be gaining enough access to smaller beach space to make up for whatever weirdness would occur from all the power on those short lines.
Bob

#2 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:00 AM

I'll let Kent speak for the Power Blast, but I've seen it done with foils and Nasa wings. Based on what I know of my 2-4 and my foil (quad) background, I'd say its possible but I dont know the pros and cons. I was scheduled to try the 2-4 in a buggy on 50' lines some weeks back but the wind did not arrive

#3 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

I think talking to all the guys that buggy on your beach would have the best answers. When in Rome... 

#4 Bmwbob

Bmwbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

As far as I know, there are a few Blokart guys, but I will be Buggy #1. Bob

#5 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

I haven't ever used short lines on my Rev's when buggying.  With our lakebeds here, we have miles of unobstructed riding so short lines were never really needed.  I have flown on very short lines (5 foot) on some of my foils and I love to use them when teaching others how to buggy.  The short lines take the kite out of the power instantly and it is harder for it to get totally out of control and behind you, something that beginners sometimes have a hard time with.

With the Rev's, they fly much faster than foils.  Shorter lines would increase this a lot.  The biggest problem buggying with a Rev is the speed of the kite.  It will shoot out to the edge of the window faster than the buggy can start moving, meaning the kite is starting to lose power when you need it most.  To fix this, you do have to sine the kite much more until you get the buggy up to speed, then once you get moving you can sine less and use the brake lines to keep the kite in check.  Powering up when you need to.

With short lines, I think this would amplify this issue.  All I can say is give it a try.  You aren't going to hurt anything on the kite at all and with your conditions, you may not have much of a choice.

Hope this helps.

#6 Bmwbob

Bmwbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

Well, I guess if someone had a quad set of 50' or 60' 200 pound lines I could borrow to test, that would sure show me if it was worth trying. How about it...anybody got something like that laying around I could borrow or buy inexpensively? ( I hate to use the word "cheap"!) Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users