will dyneema line work ok for rev kites

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

Dynema has the same characteristics as Spectra, so the answer is yes.

I forget which one was first, however one is licensed from the other. Check it out on Wiki if you are curious.

However how the kite lines are manufactured is another thing.

There are real cheap line. So-so quality lines and really good quality lines.

The most commonly recommended lines on this forum come from Shanti and LaserPro.

I have seen cheap lines wear out in less then a days flying where really good quality can last well over 10 years.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 btbt

btbt

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 05:48 PM

You've answered your own question.....yes the dyneema lines will be ok. iirc they are most often offered in ready to fly deals. You may/will have to adjust after a bit but that's ok as well.
Don't want to get into the nitty gritty of stretch factor as I'm sure it's been discussed at length here and on the GWTW site....
I have a couple of dyneema sets that I use in the winter over the ocean with the high tides in the daytime in order to save some wear and tear on my Shanti and LPG sets.....
bt

#4 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Try to match the lines others who you do or may fly with use. It makes for smoother sailing if all flyers use the same line. Here in the Midwest, just about everyone uses LPG (Laser Pro Gold) when flying together.

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#5 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

How the lines are constructed will determine if they are good quality or not.  I like to use the analogy of tires; Bicycle tires are not built the same as high performance radial tires - even though they are both made from the same core ingredient: Rubber.  Like tires, lines are not made the same either.  Even though the line may claim to be spectra or dyneema, how that line is made and produced will determine if it will be good quality or garbage.  Fishing line is the perfect example.  It is made from spectra but the way it is braided will allow it to have severe stretch so the line will not snap when you have a big whopper on the hook.  This is great for fishing, but terrible for kite flying.  Kite lines are braided in a special way to give maximum strength with minimal stretch.  This keeps you connected to the kite and allows you to have maximum control.  With a stretchy line, it will be like flying on rubber bands and will be very frustrating.

Also, different manufacturers will braid the lines differently.  This is the reason that you will want to check with the other pilots in your team (or general area) and find out what lines they are using (if you ever plan on flying team with them).  Because of the different braiding processes, different manufacturers lines will not slide across each other the same.  If everyone is using Shanti, no problem.  If everyone is using LPG, no problem.  If some are using Shanti and others using LPG, you may have some binding or lockup issues when the two different braides run across each other.  It could also cause some premature wear on both lines.   If you are only going to fly solo then it makes very little difference on which lines you are using as long as they are of good quality.

Generally, team flyers use LPG lines.

Before putting down some serious money on lines that are not name-brand lines (many dyneema lines), I would get a sample and test them first to make sure they are going to be a good quality line.

#6 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:57 AM

Aye, to mirror what Kent said in different words...

Dyneema will absolutely work for solo flying - but you might notice a little more stretch (bounce) in the lines while flying, and likely can't twist as many times without locking up as you would with a high quality spectra line line LaserPro Gold... There is a major difference in performance, but one isn't likely to notice it until they've gained basic control over the kite.

That being said, line compatibility when flying with others is a very real concern and just makes good clean sense to use something comparable.

All it takes is one good team twist at a hard angle, and someone can become "the guy who cut 3 complete sets of $70 lines". :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#7 West Australian

West Australian

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 02:58 PM

I have some Dynema from a Major brand 2 line kite company.

It is a coated line and looks totally different to LPG. It has a very slick and stiff finish.

I am not sure how it would go on a quad.

BTW Nice new avatar pic John.

B Series Standard, Mid-Vent and Vented In a Hard Case.

Supersonic and 1.5 Ghost SUL too

#8 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

We use LPG.  It has worked very well for us for many years.  We certainly don't get 10 years from our line sets, however, we do fly together on some sets that are several years old.  Mind you, we do fly a lot.  It is not uncommon for us to fly together and with others 10-30 hours a week. We put lots of hours on our line sets.

I think that everyone we fly with uses LPG as well.

Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#9 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:37 AM

To repeat some thoughts here - Just about anything is OK if solo!! But line compatibility in groups is another thing! If you even think you might fly with or around others, invest in good quality lines! They last and "play nice" with others!! 

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#10 timmyz

timmyz
  • Forum Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:45 PM

wow , thanks for all the input. i held off on buying the dyneema lines. they were too cheap to be good and they came with 13" handles which i have enough of. i don't fly that often let alone team but i'm making more time. i just picked up a supersonic that didn't have lines , just 11" handles. i have 150#   100' lines that i got from awoc for my 1.5  3 stack but want to pick up a shorter set. i'll stick to lpg or shanti. i actually just flew this thing of the first time today. 35 degree pittsburgh weather but what a blast.                 thanks again tim

#11 West Australian

West Australian

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

I got a Supersonic recently too.

They are great fun.

Only the really strong winds need the 150#

I have flown mine several times on 90#

B Series Standard, Mid-Vent and Vented In a Hard Case.

Supersonic and 1.5 Ghost SUL too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users