33 replies to this topic

#21 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:14 AM

Watch it - or it'll be my the toe of my boot that's aligned with Uranus..! :kid_brooding:

Jumpin Jupiter, to the Moon Alice, sorry Fraser didn't intend to make your Mercury rise :kid_smartass: I was just bored from Saturn around :innocent:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#22 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:21 AM

Jumpin Jupiter, to the Moon Alice, sorry Fraser didn't intend to make your Mercury rise :kid_smartass: I was just bored from Saturn around :innocent:

Na - just in a grumpy mood coz Mars is sore from too much sitting around... :kid_brooding: (prize to the first Yank that gets this pun! LOL

#23 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:24 AM

Na - just in a grumpy mood coz Mars is sore from too much sitting around... :kid_brooding: (prize to the first Yank that gets this pun! LOL

ROFL :kid_smartass:
Jim,

Posted Image

#24 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:10 AM

ROFL :kid_smartass:

Ha ha!

#25 AdventureAng

AdventureAng

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

Hahha. I like the use of "Mars" because I don't curse, but this is a new one I could use because it's really not cursing right? Haha :cat_censored:
~AdventureAng
Happy flying to everybody. Now get off the computer and get a kite out! hehe

#26 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:22 PM

Hahha. I like the use of "Mars" because I don't curse, but this is a new one I could use because it's really not cursing right? Haha :cat_censored:

To prevent us from getting spanked from being off topic, :kid_brooding: I must say something kite related here so, I think for one of your nicely made kites I would be willing to legally sign off legally the rights to such phrases, I can't speak for Fraser but I think he would be will as well as long as it was framed with the 3 wrap EXP rods :kid_smartass:
Jim,

Posted Image

#27 ian4c

ian4c

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 03:12 PM

ok, i'm just wondering the difference between them. Which one you would start on?
thanks

Hello

I am new to flying kites ( inspired by John B) and a few weeks ago purchased the Revolution EXP. A fine kite to learn the ropes. After a couple of weeks of enjoyment, thrills and spills I got to grips the flying the EXP. I then purchased the Rev 1.5 SLE spars which turns the EXP into the 1.5 SLE ( more or less ). With these spars fitted the EXP is more responsive and faster. The end caps of the EXP fit into rather than over the spars. A good move for me. Last week I purchased the Rev 1 SLE. A totally different feel and experience. I had read that the REV 1 was better in light winds. Well, my first day out there was little wind. Probably 3mph maybe less. I could not keep it up, so I changed over to the EXP and it flew with no problems although it also was hard work. The next day the wind was good at around 8 -10 mph. I started with the EXP (sle!) and then changed to the Rev 1 SLE. My first real try with the new Rev 1 SLE. Compared to the EXP it was like a slow graceful swan in the air. Need a lot more wind that the EXP. Now that I am used to the Rev 1, I like it very much. It is slower by far in every way but I find that the degree of control for slow movement is really good. Both behave in a different way.

When you get your new Rev make sure you get decent quality lines. My first lines streched. one line by 4" in some strong wind. No wonder I had a bad start. My present lines are perfect.

I trust this info will help. Ian

#28 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:11 PM

To prevent us from getting spanked from being off topic, :kid_brooding: I must say something kite related here so, I think for one of your nicely made kites I would be willing to legally sign off legally the rights to such phrases, I can't speak for Fraser but I think he would be will as well as long as it was framed with the 3 wrap EXP rods :kid_smartass:

Na - I'd want an undertaking for a new bikini-clad kiting photo posted each week, in perpetuity. Otherwise Ang - KEPP YER HANDS OFF MARS! :kid_devlish:

#29 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:28 PM

Na - I'd want an undertaking for a new bikini-clad kiting photo posted each week, in perpetuity. Otherwise Ang - KEPP YER HANDS OFF MARS! :kid_devlish:

That would be more torment then seeing all the Masterpiece Series I can't have :kid_brooding:

I'll take the ANGerpiece Kite and she can even put her hand on Mars if she wants lol :kid_smartass:

(waits for PM telling me to knock it off already)
Jim,

Posted Image

#30 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:35 PM

Hello

I am new to flying kites ( inspired by John B) and a few weeks ago purchased the Revolution EXP. A fine kite to learn the ropes. After a couple of weeks of enjoyment, thrills and spills I got to grips the flying the EXP. I then purchased the Rev 1.5 SLE spars which turns the EXP into the 1.5 SLE ( more or less ). With these spars fitted the EXP is more responsive and faster. The end caps of the EXP fit into rather than over the spars. A good move for me. Last week I purchased the Rev 1 SLE. A totally different feel and experience. I had read that the REV 1 was better in light winds. Well, my first day out there was little wind. Probably 3mph maybe less. I could not keep it up, so I changed over to the EXP and it flew with no problems although it also was hard work. The next day the wind was good at around 8 -10 mph. I started with the EXP (sle!) and then changed to the Rev 1 SLE. My first real try with the new Rev 1 SLE. Compared to the EXP it was like a slow graceful swan in the air. Need a lot more wind that the EXP. Now that I am used to the Rev 1, I like it very much. It is slower by far in every way but I find that the degree of control for slow movement is really good. Both behave in a different way.

When you get your new Rev make sure you get decent quality lines. My first lines streched. one line by 4" in some strong wind. No wonder I had a bad start. My present lines are perfect.

I trust this info will help. Ian

The reason you may have had some trouble getting that rev 1 up in the air is because of that darned SLE. Throw out that heavy leading edge, and throw in some 3 wrap, and you'll be abl to fly that no problem. ;)

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#31 ian4c

ian4c

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:57 PM

The reason you may have had some trouble getting that rev 1 up in the air is because of that darned SLE. Throw out that heavy leading edge, and throw in some 3 wrap, and you'll be abl to fly that no problem. ;)

Thank you for that. I will certainly try that. The REV 1 came with the SLE, which I must say did occur to me that those spars were heavy. So what you are saying is that in light winds, with the Rev 1, use the light weight spars. But 12 -20 mph is it good to go with the SLE spars? Ian

#32 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:12 PM

Thank you for that. I will certainly try that. The REV 1 came with the SLE, which I must say did occur to me that those spars were heavy. So what you are saying is that in light winds, with the Rev 1, use the light weight spars. But 12 -20 mph is it good to go with the SLE spars? Ian

Watty is correct, the SLE spars while not useless they do primarily hinder the kites performance in light winds ALLOT, if its possible for you to get a 3 wrap (ultra light) 1/4 inch Leading Edge for that you would be good in pretty much 0 - 15mph.

While very low wind 0 -5mph is a little difficult without some experience the bigger sail of the Rev 1 helps make it allot easier, case in point the other day was 0 -3mph dead wind and I flew the Rev 1 with a 4 wrap (rev equipped) 1/4 inch frame without too much problem (would rather have used the 3 wrap though), over time you will learn how to use the perpetual motion of the kite and the wind resistance against the sail to make light wind flying much easier.

Practice, Practice, Practice try to never let light wind keep you down it helps you learn the flight characteristics of Rev's and how truly amazing they are.

The SLE will slow that big kite down in higher winds most find it too stiff and sluggish especially on the bigger sail of the Rev 1 but it will keep you flying in higher winds if you don't have a vented.
Jim,

Posted Image

#33 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

Personally, I'd also get a 4 wrap LE for heavier winds. It's still plenty strong, and isn't as stiff as the SLE. I find the SLE to be stiff and sluggush, as Fort said, but if it's all you have for heavier winds, then use it.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#34 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:25 PM

Tip on using the forum, font tags can be applied to any size group of words... Example:

[font="Tahoma"]Testing, one line...

Two lines, starting on the third line,
continuing here.[/font]
The reason I point this out, odd font tags make posts a little hard to read at times. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users