27 replies to this topic

#21 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

<br />Good Luck on setting a setting a Guinness Book world records for kiting duration.<br />I think Ray Bethell holds that record of around 8 hours or more non-stop with a "more than one line" kite. The exact time I do not know but I am sure it can easily be found on the internet.
<br /><br />At Antelope Island last year, I believe it was David Hathaway that began reffering to me as the "Energizer Bunny of kiting". I hope this isn't a reference to being annoying, like that damn bunny came to be, but rather a reference to my stamina. <br /><br />Maybe next year at KP I'll make a run at Mr. Bethel's record, for real, and do it officially. You can be sure that when I do, I will have 2 fully charged iPod Nanos and my smartphone at my disposal so the music can keep me going!<br /><br />

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#22 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:46 AM

<br />Good Luck on setting a setting a Guinness Book world records for kiting duration.<br />I think Ray Bethell holds that record of around 8 hours or more non-stop with a "more than one line" kite. The exact time I do not know but I am sure it can easily be found on the internet.<br /><br />At Antelope Island last year, I believe it was David Hathaway that began reffering to me as the "Energizer Bunny of kiting". I hope this isn't a reference to being annoying, like that damn bunny came to be, but rather a reference to my stamina. <br /><br />Maybe next year at KP I'll make a run at Mr. Bethel's record, for real, and do it officially. You can be sure that when I do, I will have 2 fully charged iPod Nanos and my smartphone at my disposal so the music can keep me going!<br /><br />
<br /><br />Or... have a live band handy!

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#23 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

Ray's world record is 12 hours and 12 minutes flying three dual line kites at once. One in each hand and the other from the sides of his belt.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#24 btbt

btbt

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:51 PM

Realize the premise of the OP is taking a sideways turn but....silence can be golden.
Mr. Bethell was a mentor to all of us flyers at Vanier Park in Vancouver. My tenure was from 1993 to 1996 when I moved out of the city.... Portable listening units were also slightly more cumbersome than today..... Ray didn't use one...

http://www.raybethel...ml/a_01a_10.htm

bt

#25 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

When I fly solo - which is 95% of the time - I like to "dance with the kite".   OK, my body don't move much usually, but my mind and my flying does. Often I screw up a move, or the wind throws a curve - the kite does it's thing and I just have to respond. So the dancing is truly a two way conversation. Surprisingly (?) recovering from screw-ups has added as much to my ability as trying to perform pre-scripted moves.  SO - my question is how the H do you dance without MUSIC?

I guess if all you are trying to do is practice moves, that doesn't make sense.  But if your aim is to fly connected with the kite and the wind, and the world, enjoy and let the little kid out to play, then music is essential to my experience.

OTOH - if your idea of music is not danceable, then it would not add to your experience.

-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#26 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

OTOH - if your idea of music is not danceable, then it would not add to your experience.

I don't think I would fully agree with you on that.

My best ballet ever, giving me first place in Quadline ballet at EuroCup 1997 was:

"It's oh so quiet - Bjork"

I don't think it is very danceable (or is it)?

It is a very challenging piece to fly to with extremes changes in speed and loudness.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#27 btbt

btbt

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

SO - my question is how the H do you dance without MUSIC?

I guess if all you are trying to do is practice moves, that doesn't make sense.  But if your aim is to fly connected with the kite and the wind, and the world, enjoy and let the little kid out to play, then music is essential to my experience.

Cool....to each his/her own!!! However.....

1. You don`t see tai chi or chi quiong players using music...it`s a series of moves. Now envision yourself doing improvised tai chi.......except you`re doing it with a kite attached to yourself....outwardly and inwardly...

2. Any music is "danceable"....ya just gotta do the appropriate dance...

3. As I stated in a previous post....John Cage`s 4'33.....dance (with the kite) to the music/rhythm(s) of your environment.

4. What is "music" anyway? I don`t have (or want to know) the answer and I`ve been a professional musican going on 35 yrs.....

bt

#28 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

I don't think I would fully agree with you on that.

My best ballet ever, giving me first place in Quadline ballet at EuroCup 1997 was:

"It's oh so quiet - Bjork"

I don't think it is very danceable (or is it)?

It is a very challenging piece to fly to with extremes changes in speed and loudness.

Sounds to me, John, that you were "dancing" with the music if you comment on the changes in speed and loudness as making it difficult. I didn't mean to imply simple to dance to - rather setting a rhythm and mood for you and the kite's movements. Experts such as yourself can certainly "dance" to a wider spectrum of music than beginners.  kid_happy.gif 

Myself - more stuck on very old rock and pop - my age and lesser talent showing.

If you want to dance to internal music, as btbt suggests, that is obviously fine.  If you've seen videos of a courtyard full of seniors performing tai-chi in synchronization - the rhythm is there, audible or not. And if you want to completely free-style with no rhyme or rhythm - that is probably very appropriate for freestyle flying. Although music could still set a mood.

My first experience flying a dual line to music was extremely emotional for me - it was so beautiful to connect that way. But everyone is different.

Short answer - try it.  If you like it, fine.  If not, fine.

-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users