55 replies to this topic

#41 oapbillf

oapbillf

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

Remember that if you do this, to make your kite end loops long enough to tie in some pull tags also!! Makes taking down a lot easier!!

I forgot to mention it ! 

I larkshead small pull tabs wether sleeved loops or not !

Bill

#42 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

I'm there with ya! My dexterity is shot, so making it possible to break down was important to me!! Pull tabs at both ends (I can change my leader settings in no time), make it so much easier!! ani_yahoo.gif

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#43 West Australian

West Australian

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

I have the "Pull Tabs" on some of my Light wind dual lines that are unsleeved.

I got a kite that came with 20# lines that already had the pull tabs fitted.

That line is so thin you would never undo the larks head without them.

B Series Standard, Mid-Vent and Vented In a Hard Case.

Supersonic and 1.5 Ghost SUL too

#44 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

Tried out my new Polo VTD on my new 50 footers in some great and gusty winds today, 28 kmh (18mph). Kite was great, and I am really digging these short line sets. Gives a real sense of connection to the kite. Big thumbs up from me!<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#45 West Australian

West Australian

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

Awesome Rob, Cant wait to see the Polo in person.

I had the STD on my new 90# 30' lines this morning. Did some great Catch and Toss tricks.

I ended up finding some 200# spectra to Use as the Sleeving, almost the exact length I needed in my off-cut.

It worked out well.

#46 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

30's and 50's are my favorite short line length :)

Altho there was that set of 35's ..... ;)

#47 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 04:02 AM

My demo short set is 60+ feet.  I practice on longer sets and when necessary to show-off and look good I'll go back to this demo size.  I throw and catch on 75 feet routinely during practice sessions in no wind.  I can catch 120s in the right conditions and 90 feet on the Zen is very reasonable/reliable expectation.

Don't just learn the catch from directly overhead either.  Fly it up to about 2/3rds or 3/4s of the wind window and then do a strong yank on the top lines (as the kite is moving forward).  You want the kite to arc upwards, apex and then glide down thru the wind's direction and to your outstretched hand.

A long distance throw require big movements with your whole body. You need to run with the kite a couple of steps (acceleration builds up free momentum) like you were pitching a javelin.  I'm left handed, so I pitch towards the opposite corner, the right edge of the window for me.  After releasing the kite you have both handles in one hand already, just press your thumb forward and the kite will paste itself inverted at the end of the lines.  Since I use magic sticks on the back, if my efforts wind-up short of the line's overall length the kite just waits on the ground for me to walk the slack out backwards.  Sticks allow you to be aggressive with learning techniques, dare I say sloppy too?  At least you don't have to do the walk of shame.  The public thinks you meant to have it fall short!

I flew a couple of years ago at Liberty State Park (NJ kite competition) on 120s and the catch at the end of my routine WOULD not come down to the ground at all!  It floated along for so much time that conversations stopped and folks stood up on the sidelines to see what would happen next. That was a set of near perfect conditions, nothing to do with the flier at all.  You just had to put it into the proper position and the wind did everything else!  That glide could have been timed with a sundial.

I've probably worked on these techniques for the better part of a decade.  It's hard on your equipment but really separates you from the masses.  No other sport kite design I'm aware of can do these tricks so effortlessly.

Shorter length line sets turn any Rev kite into a flailer's dream!   They also let you walk around in a crowd and annoy folks who aren't paying attention to their surroundings <LOL!>

#48 West Australian

West Australian

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:01 PM

Great stories dude.

I have been doing the catch from a few different positions. I find it easier from 3/4.

Also, some times the lack of wind does not let the kite get that high anyway.

I've only been doing the catch and toss for a week or so.

I think I have made some great progress with it.

The run-up is a great idea, I will try that out.

What are Magic sticks?

That super long glide sounds awesome.

#49 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

Great stories dude.<br /> <br />I have been doing the catch from a few different positions. I find it easier from 3/4.<br />Also, some times the lack of wind does not let the kite get that high anyway.<br /> <br />I've only been doing the catch and toss for a week or so.<br />I think I have made some great progress with it.<br />The run-up is a great idea, I will try that out.<br /> <br />What are Magic sticks?<br /> <br />That super long glide sounds awesome.
Try also "sissy sticks". <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#50 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

Attached File  REV 1.5 Magix Stick.pdf   673.66KB   102 downloadsAttached File  French Bridle 1.5.pdf   249.64KB   77 downloads

Sissy (or "magic sticks" depending on your perspective) is a set of skinny reinforcing tubes and lines attached to the back of the kite.  The structure stiffens the frame overall, improves the glide pattern and allows you to have the kite fall out of the sky to the ground and still recover to fly away effortlessly.

Like everything else, it's a personal preference!  You can now buy your own pre-made and ready to install, or you can make your own sticks up as a do it yourself project.

Flying Smiles Kites sells the sticks for most any rev model, but call 'em first and discuss your objectives.  For the 1point5 sized sails they offer sticks in two different sizes 12s or 16s).  I prefer the 16 inch model as it allows the kite to be rolled-up into the string upon landing and an un-rolling take-off.  No way you can do these two techniques/tricks without the magic sticks in place!  With the sticks installed you can frame your kite lighter overall and still survive a big gust too.

I laughed at folks using "sissy sticks" for the first 7 years of Rev flying, since then all my kites sport this feature, even the indoor models!  Try-out a set and give it a decent amount of testing time before you form your opinion.  Trust no one else,... prove to yourself whether they are a crutch or a cure for all!

You can also try out a french bridle for a new flight experience too, it's not better just different!

#51 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for the PDF REVflyer, that's the first photo I've seen that explains/shows them clearly. I might look into getting a set. <br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#52 mihaaa

mihaaa
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

Hey a rather urgent question (for me at least :D) , maybe someone can help, it's not too off topic i hope smile.png..

I'm looking for a 30' 50 or 90 lb strings (rev B series)

since I'm from EU shipping from USA is pretty costy but at the moment there is a friend of mine in the US and will bring me the strings the problem is that he is going back to EU soon and the time for the strings to arrive is pretty short.. 

can anyone recommend an online store that has them in stock so that an item might get shipped today (friend is staying in Florida)..

thanks smile.png

www.crnigoj.si

#53 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:51 PM

I get all my stuff from Theresa at The Kite Shoppe (www.thekiteshoppe.com) - but I'm a Laser Pro guy and can't get around the shipping.

I think A Wind of Change (www.awindofchange) do Shanti lines if that is your preference.

I'm sure others will offer possible suggestions, but those are the main 2 I know of and you did say speed was of the essence. In all cases I would suggest either your friend or you CALL the shop of your choice to make the arrangements so that things can be shipped and arrive in time.

#54 mihaaa

mihaaa
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

thanks kwmf, sorry for the delay, but I wasn't able to login and reply to the post (not sure why), IO contacted AWOC before posting here but unfortunately to the misunderstood in communication and my narrow time window it's not going to go through this time (kite shoppe is in Canada and is even further)

thanks for your reply anyways :)

www.crnigoj.si

#55 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:52 PM

(kite shoppe is in Canada and is even further)

Kite Shoppe is in the other Vancouver, in Washington state USA. That is the Vancouver across the Columbia river from Portland, Oregon.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#56 mihaaa

mihaaa
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:56 AM

sorry my bad.... :(

www.crnigoj.si

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users