#22 Bmwbob

Bmwbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Get some and report back :-)

"There I was, alone at the flying site"........,,:-)
1. My soccer field site is history. Some nincompoop took that beautiful, huge, flat, grassy area and put 18 soccer goals and a bunch of sideline benches all over it! :-(
So, I had to relocate. Next best place is the unused land that used to host the football field for one of the two area high schools.
Not nearly as well kept now, but usable and only a couple miles further.
Can buggy there, but it will be bumpy.
2. We have a cold (for Florida) front approaching, so the (GUSTY) wind is up. Pulled out the trusty Dwyer pellet anemometer, held it up to the wind.
If anyone finds it, please send it back! :-)
Hmmm....would a SMART kiter get a 2-4 out in this stuff?
Nope.
So I did!
After getting the lines straightened out from the equalizing session, I went with the approximately 6.5" longer top lines.
Took a bit of effort to get it off the ground, but it went up. Much less sail rattle now.
"If some is good, then more is better!" (Alfred E. Newman)
Moved to the next knot out on the top, about 7.25" difference now.
Launch. Kite proceeding toward the top of the window. At about 3/4 of the way up, the gust that blew the Atchison and Topeka steam engine off the tracks hits.
" Nine one one. What is the nature of your emergency?"
HOLY AIRCRAFT CARRIER CATAPULT LAUNCH, BATMAN!
A quick glance down at where I USED to be standing prompts me to dump the power before this gets out of hand.
You heard it right. Gust hit and the next thing I know, I'm doing chin-ups on the handles a few feet over where I was standing!
Made me REALLY wish I had a Rev 4-8 out today!
NOT!!!!!
Bottom line: Looks like the trim ( at about 7+") is close. Kite accelerates like a AA fuel dragster with almost no sail rattle.
But you DARNED WELL better be READY when it happens!!!
Gotta get in some clean air before I kill myself!
Bob

#23 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Sounds like fun, I think I'll grab a beer and watch. When can I find it on You-Tube?

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#24 Bmwbob

Bmwbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Sounds like fun, I think I'll grab a beer and watch. When can I find it on You-Tube?

No cameras allowed.
Don't want to end up on the Darwin Awards list! :-)
Bob

#25 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

Sounds like you got some all right ;-) Glad you're in the air and found what you were looking for. Next step is to start thinking less and just flying more. You're on your way now, theory time is over, time for action... You'll be locking in that power and depower at will before you know it. Incidentally, that 6.5 inch measurement is the middle of the road for my blast handles... I can't recall what setting I flew on last, I just eyeballed it to get you in the ball park ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users