11 replies to this topic

#1 Bmwbob

Bmwbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

I got out for the 2nd session with my 1.5 yesterday.
Since the winds at the soccer field are so low and variable, I've pretty much retired the SLE frame in order to have flights of longer than 30 seconds.
Yes, I have ordered a replacement UL frame, anticipating the inevitable.
I came from power foils where I would leave the back lines totally slack except when turning, or braking.
It seems that with the Rev, you need to keep some amount of tension on the rear lines in order to maintain any sort of speed and power.
I was having quite a bit of difficulty avoiding dropping out of that "sweet spot" in the trim, especially when turning the kite.
I did end up moving my grip on the handles about an inch lower (thumbs now just barely reach to the top of the handles), and that seemed to help.
I do notice quite a bit of sail rattling when the gusts hit, and that can't be efficient.
Does any of this sound like I need to further refine my treatment of the handles, or perhaps make some bungee or bridle adjustments?
My Power Blast 2-4 will be here this week, and I'd like to have a little better idea of what I need to correct with the 1.5 before the 2-4 tries to use my nose as a plow share! :-)
Bob

#2 oapbillf

oapbillf

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:49 AM

Hi Bob,

I see that you are a Kitelife subscriber, Have you downloaded JB,s tuition videos, they have helped me a lot but I still have a lot to learn but it now comes with practice and more practice !

There should be other Rev fliers in your area and nothing beats a hands on session with experienced fliers !

Bill

#3 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

Try flying inverted, tune for reverse flight,.... See what impact no forward drive has, you need to determine a comfortable grip position too!

#4 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

It sounds like you need more brake (sometimes called reverse), which you've kind of figured out on your own. When you slid your hands down the handle you added more brake. The fluttering of the sail is usually due to not having enough brake.

If your handles have knots on the attachment lines, attach the top lines from your kite to a knot further out from the handles. 

If you don't have knots, it's a good idea to add them. Someone here will post a link, I don't have one handy. If someone doesn't, I'll track one down later.

Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#5 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

This should be the link - 

http://www.revkites....-your-thoughts/

By having adjustment knots on the top lines of the handles, you can adjust the kite to many wind conditions!!

PS: there are pix describing what we're talking about, here too!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#6 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:10 AM

Yep, this is where leaders/pigtails come into play. General rule of thumb after making your pigtails is to have the top lines let all the way out, and the bottom lines all the way in. Try launching the kite. If you can't, pull the top lines in a knot. Continue to pull the top lines in one knot at a time until you are able to launch the kite comfortably. This will allow you to keep your hands in whatever position you find comfortable, while making it easier to maintain that optimal sail pressure.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#7 Bmwbob

Bmwbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

Yep, this is where leaders/pigtails come into play. General rule of thumb after making your pigtails is to have the top lines let all the way out, and the bottom lines all the way in. Try launching the kite. If you can't, pull the top lines in a knot. Continue to pull the top lines in one knot at a time until you are able to launch the kite comfortably. This will allow you to keep your hands in whatever position you find comfortable, while making it easier to maintain that optimal sail pressure.

OK. Looks like my best bet is to tie a few extra knots on the brake leader and experiment with that.
Thanks to all for the comments!
Bob

#8 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

The best place to be is where the kite cannot accelerate away out of control if you relax your grip in higher winds.  Paradoxically this may well be the correct configuration for flying the kite in the lightest of breezes.

I 'like' this paradox.

Felix

#9 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:10 AM

OK. Looks like my best bet is to tie a few extra knots on the brake leader and experiment with that. Thanks to all for the comments! Bob

Without knowing the handles you have now, look very closely at the pix in the link! He made his own new top leaders with many adjustment knots! There is some debate about adjusting from the top or bottom, but my guess is that the majority use the top leader to adjust! Make leaders about as long as the gap from top to bottom attachment points, with knots 3/4" apart!! Use Watty's idea on launching, adjust as much as needed to take off comfortably! As Felix mentioned, the adjustments allow you to make the kite more "neutral", giving you more control over things! 

If you do make your own top leaders, start tying your knots from the handle side out to the end!! If you start from the end, you'll make your leaders shorter with each knot tied!! 

Good luck!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#10 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

A neutral kite in a strong wind may be a fully 'inflated' kite in a low wind.

We know that un-controlled 'fast forwards' is not a good thing when the breeze is strong.

At a recent light wind event I had to say to the flier who could not launch, 'apply some more brake'.  It worked...

Please pay very close attention and understand that 'your mileage may vary' YMMV.

Thanks

Felix

#11 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

You might also find the "sail loading" tutorial to be particularly useful, it goes hand in hand with having the right tuning.

Example - my brake setting is pretty heavy for a lot of folks, some might not be able to launch, but with knowledge of how the sail loads and pressure is maintained, brake heavy settings aren't as difficult and can pay some real dividends with regard to performance. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#12 Bmwbob

Bmwbob

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

You might also find the "sail loading" tutorial to be particularly useful, it goes hand in hand with having the right tuning.

Example - my brake setting is pretty heavy for a lot of folks, some might not be able to launch, but with knowledge of how the sail loads and pressure is maintained, brake heavy settings aren't as difficult and can pay some real dividends with regard to performance. ;)

Thanks, John. I'll check it out.
Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users