Kite Day Festival - Miami Beach, Feb.17, 2013

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KurtCira

KurtCira
  • Forum Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

I am hoping I can interest some other Dark-Siders in attending a Kite Day Festival to be held at Haulover Park, 10800 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach (Bal Harbour) on Sunday, February 17. This festival typically draws a lot of families and single line kites. I am hoping that we can create some interest in Rev flying by showing people what a quad can do.

The festival is sponsored by Skyward Kites. The owner, Dan, has a store/trailor located in the park which is between Biscayne Bay and the ocean, so almost any wind direction is good. You can get more info at www.skywardkites.com or by calling 305-893-0906. Weather is typically beautiful, you can fly over grass, and if you get bored you can check out Miami's only nude beach just across the street.ohmy.png  I hope a couple of you can make it and see if the dark side can draw in some fresh bodies.

Kurt Cira

Change is inevitable--struggle is optional.

#2 KurtCira

KurtCira
  • Forum Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

I was a bit disappointed that no one was interested in attending the Miami Kite day this past Sunday, but in retrospect I am glad none of you did.

There were several hundred people in attendance, but ALL but two where SLK fliers, mostly families with small kids. I got my Rev in the air a couple of times, but there was very limited room to fly, and nobody seemed to be aware of my small space. I used 40' lines to minimize my area, but this also limited the altitude I could get, and you had to get up to get wind as there were so many people and small trees that getting off the ground was tough, and the winds were lighter than forcast and extremely variable. I stayed for an hour, then packed it in.blue_sad.gif

I won't recommend this festival for Rev flier in the future. If there were a roped off area for sport kites it would be a worth trying again, but we're not the target market. It looks like Treasure Island is the real Festival in Florida for Dark Siders.

Kurt Cira

Change is inevitable--struggle is optional.

#3 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:23 AM

Hey Kurt,

I've been to that great location and seen his trailer too!

sometimes you can clear enough space to fly, but as soon as you take a break those gaps close-in.  I've been chased out of large locations occasionally too.  The crowd just swells until it's dangerous (or expensive) for me to keep trying.  A group of rev fliers can generally keep their space, but a single or a couple of us have little chance.  

You've got to have your stuff down tight to fly throughout the crowds and you need somebody in charge to actually approve of this activity.  I've fallen backwards over a stroller and stepped on lots of stuff I should have seen!  I've hooked onto earrings, fence posts and moving vehicles.  My wife says I'm a bad role model!  

"Back in the day when sponsorships were available and common" ... We've been paid performers where we were expected to interact with the crowd, no boundaries, other activities in action.  Some of us go big SLKs up on the hills and some of us go short and quading into the mix of folks.

Not much is more fun than knocking the hat off of some unsuspecting bystander when their focus is buried into a i-pad!  Dozens of folks are all howling in laughter as the dope looks around trying to figure out what keeps brushing up against him.  I love to chase spectators and use converging sidewalks and fences to trap my quarry.  The Park rangers at the DC monument grounds see me often enough to enjoy my antics.  I need to lure them onto the grass first though, so nobody can complain about my aggressive style.

You need to be able to see the folks CAREFULLY as you interact with them, some like and some don't!  Watch their faces and pay attention when they get concerned and wave you off.  It's only okay if everyone agrees.  Move slowly at kids in strollers.  I like to land in the empty ones, since the child isn't using it, my rev can take a break.

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

Well said Paul. ani_notworthy.gif

Just take care to carefully consider your own abilities when interacting with the public, poking a spectator in the eye is a good way to lose an event altogether. ;)

That being said, I'm very confident in my abilities and mess with the audience at every possible opportunity. <grin>

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users