#1 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

Hi Guys,
I come up with an idea (and it works).If you are having trouble fitting your LE together ...ie.. fitting the end rods into the ferrules ( like I did ) all I did was to bevel the end of the ferrule just 1 millimeter,and it worked a treat... much easier to put together.I haven't found any downsides with doing this,any comments.?

David M.....Just a (slightly ) over aged guy playing with kites......and LOVIN' it

#2 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

I like it!

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#3 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

I started doing that right after the first time I assembled one. Three years and three kites later, no ill effects.
Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#4 TerryB

TerryB

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

Hi Guys,
I come up with an idea (and it works).If you are having trouble fitting your LE together ...ie.. fitting the end rods into the ferrules ( like I did ) all I did was to bevel the end of the ferrule just 1 millimeter,and it worked a treat... much easier to put together.I haven't found any downsides with doing this,any comments.?

Like IT! :matrix:

#5 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

Never had any problem with assembly, but I don't see any issue with adding a slight bevel

#6 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

I always hold the leading edge level with a slight downward bend where the two spars will be coming together, and they usually slide together easily. A small bevel might make it even easier.

Sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a try.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#7 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:31 AM

beveling the leading edge connector's ferules prevent a snag or pinching of the leading edge fabric between the tubes during assembly, particularly important with a SUL leading edge sleeve which is made of nylon. You can do this easily with an etched glass nail file, the finer the "teeth" the better. I work across the ferule (filling towards the center) so I don't splinter-up the edges and much prefer a solid carbon ferule as opposed to a tubed-style fitting. The ferule is no place to try and save weight!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users