Photo

Quad-line virgin

Best Answer Moggy, 27 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

Thank you all, making good use of everything you've thrown at me. Was able to take the kite out today and put everything I've read and seen into practice, and, my, what a difference.

Firstly, figured out the basic controls moreso thanks to the posts above and this nice little tut of the [Rev 1] from Joe Hadzicki himself (is that the one that is usually bundled with the SLE too?).

My error was doing far too much handle-pulling (like a dualie) and not enough thumb-pushing (wrist twisting). Assumed good control over the kite once I knew exactly what was required, actually I was surprised how quickly it takes to get a hang of it.

That said, 15mph winds might've been a tad gusty to learn more on - a jump in the deep end with a full sail, 80' lines and UL frame (maybe I should've put the SLE back in), ho ho - but very fun. Never had a kite that could move from the ground to the top of the window SO fast. The airborne equivalent of the Ariel Atom. The wind speed also - very quickly! - taught me the necessary lesson of brake vs. drive (forward, hover, reverse) using thumbed controls.

Was able to enjoy sustained flight, fly contentedly around the window, figure of 8's, land on cue, and even tried to push a few boundaries to see what it could do further.

In doing so everything everyone mentioned in this thread became crystal clear!!!

Where to begin. A few concurrences for you guys, hehe...

1) I need longer leaders on the top! Just to add a little damping. - It may have been the strong wind, but a few times I felt the kite wanted to go over the top of me (and beyond!), despite pushing both thumbs forward at times (maybe too late, however). I have no problems launching the kite, so longer leaders wouldn't be a problem.

2) Think I'll be buying a vented at some point! What's this, a second kite, already? Another non-surprise for you guys. wink.png Really think I will be needing a vented at the coast, though. 15mph is common, and a vented might help iron out the gusts somewhat.

3) It really is a massive bundle of fun.

4) Although 120' lines might be nice, I can't really use anything longer than 80' due to width limitations of local recreation grounds and beaches. Anything longer and people would almost have to walk underneath me, which I don't want, and they probably wouldn't want either! I'd travel further afield but am unable to drive due to health probs. :/

5) Tent pegs (as stakes) can be an absolute bugger to search for on both grass and beach if I fail to pick the peg up and put it into my pocket at the same time as picking up the handles. Will be putting in an order for a couple of Walt's marble stakes soon!

6) You guys are ace. But you already knew that. smile.png

Ty!

~Timo

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 Moggy

Moggy
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:25 AM

Thank you Katrina, StrokeSurvivor (glad to see you pulled through, I'd imagine Rev kiting would've been excellent physio for you), Trigger, Andel, Malakatam, Revflyer, and everyone else!

Just one last query for now. What is the optimal windspeed for a STD?

When does the windspeed initially start to become unruly or inadvisable?

I'm just wondering if the wind will ever actually be low enough to fly a STD. At the coast, it's quite unusual for the wind to drop below 7mph or so, it's usually 10mph or more. Island country next to the Gulf Stream and all that.

What would be the ideal wind speed for mid-vent? Below what windspeed are you not able to fly it smoothly?

The pre-knotted leaders aren't necessarily there for equalizing your lines!! While they can provide a temporary fix, lines should be laid out and the knots undone and all lines should end up of equal length!! The knots are there to adjust your kite for differing wind conditions!! Laying it back or pulling it forward, changes the way wind hits the kite and gives it forward drive!! You hear many of us talk about having more brake, well we do that to keep the kite from just taking off in a gust! We want to control our flight, not be at the wind's mercy!! So we're always looking for a more "neutral setting" for whatever winds we face!!

No worries, I was referring to the knots to alter the brakes/acceleration as opposed to equalising the lines.

Been looking on eBay for used Rev kites to learn on, they're seemingly few and far between and it's a little hard to know what you're actually getting (what state they'd be in upon receiving).

I'm surprised the forum doesn't have a user Buy/Sell section.

TY all.

#22 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

To be honest, I don't have a wind meter to tell you when I switch kites!! My ears and neck hair are my indicators of wind speed!! That and my leading edge, watching for how much bend there is in it!!

No matter which "B" or "B"pro you get, you'll want them all sooner or later!! If you do decide on the mid, just be prepared for winds too low to fly well in, or the opposite, winds too strong!! There is a definite "sweet spot" for every kite sail, once you find it - YEEHAW!!Posted Image

Rev flying has definitely been therapeutic, I like to call it "Wind Therapy"!! Really improved my hand-eye coordination, balance, and most important - confidence! To find something/anything that you can learn to do better after what happened, has meant all the world to me!!

Do I see a line forming?------Hold a spot for me!!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#23 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:52 AM

I like my mid-vent the best and find that I will fly it at the extreme low end of its ideal and the extreme high end of its ideal wind range before switching to the standard sail or the full vent.

Personal preference has a lot to do with it.

But it was the third kite I purchased like most people are saying to do.

Bart

#24 Trigger

Trigger
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

well i recieved my full vent, its an sle...i know... and i flew it yesterday with race rods in 7-10mph (i do have a wind meter) and it flew real nice, when gusts of 12mph came up it was a little to Pac-Man for me. Today i flew with a 4wrap equivelent in 10-14mph and it flew beautiful. when it dipped below 10 it was still great. when it went up to 20 it was great but pulled like a ford truck(thats not too hard) but i walked with it and flew the edge. the sail stayed perfect.

bottom line is that i am only a month into Revs, and the full vent flew winderfull for me! i will fly the most in good constant winds.

i think if you are over 7mph for the majority, i would go with a vent...... dont ask me about midvent... that will be next month...jk

jim
You know you're a kite flyer when you can measure 75, 100 and 120ft within 1 inch.... by SIGHT!

#25 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

Rev flying has definitely been therapeutic, I like to call it "Wind Therapy"!!

I call it "Kite Therapy" and it's usually just what the doctor ordered!

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#26 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

You know, maybe start with a full vent then. With black race rods (instead of 2 wraps), 3 wraps, and 4 wraps. Midvent would probably be great for you too, but you'll most likely end up with 3 kites then, and you only wanted 1. You can take the full vent down lower than you'd think, if you put the rr in. (don't have wind meter.) But you won't want to learn with the rr. Wait on those until you've got control, no crashes. Learn to fly on the 3s or 4s. Doubtful you'll break a 3, as long as your leading edge is not bending in a scary way. I love my vented kites best of all. They'd be great to learn on if you've got the wind for it, and it sounds like you do. It'll seem like it needs more wind than it does at first. But no worries, once you get skills, you'll find it flies in a lot less wind than you might suppose. Same goes for all the revs.

Just pretend all my statements are prefaced with IIRC, AFAIK, IMHO, and end with "Just my $.02," okay?
(And stop asking for cookies, all you new darkside converts! It was all just a ruse to get you here!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#27 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

I just remembered I clipped this from somewhere, because people are always asking about wind ranges. Like SS, I never know the numbers, just the feel! Sorry, since it's a clipped note I have to post it as a link, can't paste. The stated wind ranges given by the company are what is POSSIBLE, whereas this is what is REASONABLE.

wind range suggestions

Still doesn't tell you how low you can go with race rods in a vtd, but hey it might be helpful.   If you get race rods, be sure to get the black ones.  There are green ones, and sparkly ones too, but the blacks are the ones that stand it for 2 wraps, weight-wise pretty close. 

Just pretend all my statements are prefaced with IIRC, AFAIK, IMHO, and end with "Just my $.02," okay?
(And stop asking for cookies, all you new darkside converts! It was all just a ruse to get you here!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#28 Trigger

Trigger
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

very nice Katrina.. thank you. now i just need a mid vent. a zen and xtra vent.... and i will be good!

I agree about not starting with race rods! they flex so much that as a newb(me) you loose some control... especially with vert/hor slides. I have broken one in the spar location when the wind picked up and unexpected landing. I did like the 4 wrap. I think as my skills improve the race rods will be great, and if you go with a full vent they are lighter than the 2wrap and will allow you to fill the sail better in low winds.

my recommendation: full vent... 4 wrap and RR. in low wind use 4wrap spars and RR leading edge for more durability landing and better sail filling!

good luck
You know you're a kite flyer when you can measure 75, 100 and 120ft within 1 inch.... by SIGHT!

#29 Moggy

Moggy
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

Thank you all so much for your replies and PMs with additional info. It's all been slowly but gratefully devoured. :throb:

As there's seemingly no silver bullet (apart from buying all of them!) I became a little overwhelmed as to which to buy (Std vs Mid-V vs Full-V) so I've taken a few people's advice on here and have been looking to source a second-hand Rev to get a feel for the kite this year before splashing out on a B-Pro next spring/summer season.

I'm completely inland (no beach flying) until next year so looking to grab a Std (SLE or B-Series) as a benchmark to practice on and get a feel for. Originally intended the kite to fly at the coast during the main holiday season but just... cannot... wait until next year to be at the coast to fly one! Absolutely itching to have a go and (slowly) learn the ropes.

Found a second-hand B-Series that's for sale but seems it's been customised - the B-Series usually comes with 3-wrap and 2-wrap frames, but this has three SkyShark P200 rods and two of the original Rev 3-wrap spars, and has 80ft or so of either Dyneema (or) Spectra lines (he can't recall). I've heard of SkyShark before, and it seems they are favourable brand, but am unsure as to what the P200 rods are equivalent to in 'Rev' terms? 3-wrap? Race rods?

Tyvm. :) Happy Halloween! ^^

~Moggy

#30 belgarum

belgarum
  • Forum Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

Customised is probably a bit generous - more like a repair to some broken spars.
Skyshark are okay, but IMO don't seem to have the same return spring.
P200 is the closest equivalent to 3 wrap.
If you get the kite, try to keep the LE either all one set of spars, or have one of the 3w in the middle, with SS on the outside - It'll all depend on which spar has the ferrules.
You may find the lines to be a little spongy - if you can to LPG it will stand you in good stead for any future purchase.
Enjoy if you win it.
JP

Rev 1.5B Full Sail (Black & Gold)
Rev 1.5B Mid Vent "Night"
Rev 1.5B Full Vent (Blue & Grey)
Revopolo 1.5 Printed "440102"
Rev1 Sedgwick (Cool)
Flexifoil Super 10
HQ Beamer IV 3.0
Powerhouse Adrenaline
Powerhouse Blade
Flexifoil Atom 1.4

"The quality is remembered long after the cost is forgotten"

#31 Trigger

Trigger
  • Forum Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

i just got some p400 rods from skyshark. and i think they are equivelent to a 4wrap. i think p200 is equal to a 2 wrap.

#32 oapbillf

oapbillf

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:49 AM

Hi Moggy,

Have you noticed that EXP that is up for sale, everything you need to start is there!
And the BIN price is reasonable!

Bill

#33 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

i just got some p400 rods from skyshark. and i think they are equivelent to a 4wrap. i think p200 is equal to a 2 wrap.

Close...but no comparison. You will feel the difference.
There is more deflection in the SS.
I have a chart somewhere..... B)

#34 Moggy

Moggy
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:35 AM

Deflection is good or bad? (I've read that flex can be positive?)

#35 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

It's not just flex alone, but how they recover or snap back, that's important!! Never have used anything but Rev rods in my sails, so I can't compare directly! LPG is a great choice in either 80' or 120"!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#36 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

Flex is like everything else, ..... depending on your conditions and preferences (for your own style) you may want more or less. I use p-90s for the leading edge and 2 ply/wrap tapered spar on the verticals for my no-wind needs. There's a certain time when it's huge advantage! I run Skyshark down-spars called "black diamond" or if you can find 'em... A stick called a "response 12 must of the time. You cut them down to fit you application. I carry lots of different tubes, very few of my kites are stock out of the shipping container. You can change things easily and compare mwhich way you like best.

#37 Moggy

Moggy
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:04 AM

I'm back! smile.png After starting this thread I was a little stumped as to what to do, it gave me a lot to think about. Acting on the advice given, I decided to forego a brand new B-Pro and instead get hands-on experience with a second-hand Rev so I wouldn't have to worry so much about beating up a brand new top-spec kite whilst learning. Also felt a second hand kite would be a good idea in order to have a feel for what a Std sail feels like in use, and therefore what variants (Std, Mid, Vent) to get at a later time, rather than getting a Mid-vent Pro and later finding a Std and a Vent would've been a better choice, as per Kat's advice.

It's been a long time - not intentionally (work, and so few Revs coming up on ebay, etc.) - but I finally have my first Rev! :D

revolution.jpg

It's an SLE, with additional ultra-light LE spars, 13" handles and 80' LPG line. Immaculate condition. Never realised how big it would be, it's about twice the size of me, haha. I'm only little.

It didn't come with the DVD - can it be got online, or is it necessary? I've watched all of John Barresi's generous Rev tuts on Youtube and also subbed to Kitelife for his further tutorials. I've been watching his vids over the many months, he's amazing. I think it's most definately fair to say the kiting community would be a much poorer place without JB and you guys. smile.png

In true English fashion, it's raining, and the forecast is rain all week, so looks like I wont be able to fly as soon as I'd like. blue_confused.gif Absolutely itching to get out there after all this time. So brushing up on tuts, anything I can find.

One question regards the handles, particularly the leaders. Do they look OK (photo below)? Reason I ask, I notice other people's photos have much longer leaders, or different lengths on opposing sides (top vs. bottom), for example. However I'm guessing my handles were part of an original SLE ready-to-fly package so should be ok for starters (and adding extra lengths is merely for further tuning)?

lines&handles.jpg

Thank you for all your help. smile.png

~Møg

#38 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

Hey, congrats Mog! Hopefully the weather cooperates soon :)

The leaders you have now will get you flying, but as your familiarity with the Rev grows, you will want a set of adjustable top and/or bottom leaders - basically longer in length, and with knots tied about every .25 inch to .75 inches down the length of the leader, starting from maybe 3 inches from the handle. This will give e you the ability to fine tune the handling of your Rev - this is a must! Make adjustable leaders ASAP! Check under the modifications section of this forum - plenty of leader topics there. I would link you to them but I'm typing this thru Tapatalk.But, for now, your Rev looks ready to fly :)

Enjoy!!

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#39 Stephen

Stephen
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

Hi, If you have seen all of JB's videos there is little extra that the DVD add. I would definitely recommend making up longer top leaders on your handles, it makes life so much easier. You can use any old string within reason or even untie the top leader and reuse it as a single rather than double. The extra length on the top (brakes) slow the kite down which might make launching harder but make the kite easier to fly. You might try your first flight(s) using the SLE but the 3 wraps are not that fragile. Good luck with your first flights. You might consider taking JB's tutorials with you if you are able. Cheers Stephen

#40 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

In true English fashion, it's raining, and the forecast is rain all week, so looks like I wont be able to fly as soon as I'd like. blue_confused.gif Absolutely itching to get out there after all this time. So brushing up on tuts, anything I can find.

~Møg

Hi there Mog, STACK (Sport Kite and Competitive Kiting - the official body of the sport ) are holding a competition this weekend at Dunstable Downs.  The Downs is the home flying field of about 10 rev pilots of a wide range of experience and lots of toys.  If you can make it down i am sure that there will be no shortage of people around to fast track your learning experience.

Good luck.

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users