Line lenghts and strengths

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BobF

BobF
  • Forum Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:40 AM

I fly a Lee Sedgwick Signature Series Rev 1 with 2 ply and 4 ply spars and feel it's time to upgrade the lines - I'm thinking Laser Gold but would appreciate any help on lengths and weights. Flying on open fields in the summer in Maine can be with gusty winds up to 20MPH but in the fall will steady as we move to the beaches once the tourists have left.
Also, can that same line be used for an EXP?

#2 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:26 AM

I fly a Lee Sedgwick Signature Series Rev 1 with 2 ply and 4 ply spars and feel it's time to upgrade the lines - I'm thinking Laser Gold but would appreciate any help on lengths and weights. Flying on open fields in the summer in Maine can be with gusty winds up to 20MPH but in the fall will steady as we move to the beaches once the tourists have left.
Also, can that same line be used for an EXP?

Me, I'm sold using 90 pound for nearly anything, switching 50 when its REALLY light and I have a set of 150 pound that I don't think I've had to use yet.

Length wise I am almsot always on 120 feet but, I have sets of 30, 50, and 80 that I'll use in smaller spaces.
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#3 Pianoman6210

Pianoman6210
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:54 AM

Well, line legnth is really a personal thing. I prefer to fly ALL rev's on 75' sets, however this is up to you and the area you have to fly in. In your case longer could be ok since you are only flying 1 kite and not a stack. Look at how much room you have to fly in and make a decision based on that. As for what weight you should use, well this is also prefence. I fly my single on 120 lb spectra BBS blue. For a single kite, 90 lb should be fine. Buy a good line set and you can use it for many years and use it on many different kites. Any line set you buy for your Sedgwick will work fine w/ your exp. Hope this helps some.

#4 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:39 PM

I suggest 90# line in what ever length suits you (30-120 feet) That weight will work fine with an EXP. For the length part, that really depends on the area that you are flying in and how you like to fly. The longer the lines, the more room you have to do manouvers and the slower the kite. The shorter the lines, the less room you have, the kite moves a bit faster, but it allows you to do 3D flying a little more easily.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users