exp bridle

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ant

ant
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 01:47 AM

HI i have got a new bridle set for my exp but have no instructions on how they go
please HELP
ant

#2 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:37 AM

Are there any other Rev fliers in your area?

It's not easy for me to explain, but it's easy to do... If there is another EXP, 1.5 SLE or Rev 1 in your area, the bridles all go on the same way.

Let us know how it goes! ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#3 kf6hqc

kf6hqc
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

I'm in the same boat as ant.
I presume that the CD rom explains how to string the kite but my CD doesn't work (that's my unfaultering luck), and the little instruction manual that came with the EXP doesn't cover this minor (MAJOR) detail. HELP!!
Any Rev fliers in the Alta Loma/Rancho Cucamonga area that can help me with this little problem?
I appreciate it, thanks.

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:50 AM

Well, I suppose... If you guys are still having problems, I'd be willing to help over the phone and walk you through it.

Doesn't take more than 5 minutes to do.

If you're interested, get my phone number off Kitelife's contact page... http://www.kitelife.com/contact

Best time to call is between 11-5pm PST, Tuesday through Thursday. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 kf6hqc

kf6hqc
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:19 PM

Thanks John,

It won't be necessary for me. I figured it out. I used the photos on the website and basically bumbled my way through it. Funny, it makes perfect sense to me now.

I actually had good progress in attempting to control my EXP today. One thing I noticed is that for sucessful learning to take place, the wind must be constant. This type of discussion however should probably be posted under another topic.

Again, thanks anyway John, looking forward to tomorrow.

Fred

#6 cbabbman

cbabbman
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 05:15 AM

Thanks John,
 I actually had good progress in attempting to control my EXP today. One thing I noticed is that for successful learning to take place, the wind must be constant.  
Fred

I'm going to throw my 2 cents in here on the wind issue...

I'm in the Chicago area and the winds here are far from consistent... I'm pretty sure that in the 3 months I've been flying Revs, I've never had a single outing where they were anything but choppy.... there one minute and gone the next... At first, it was incredibly frustrating or me since I didn't have a clue what I was doing. But, through perseverance and determination, I've been able to learn quite a bit and feel incredibly comfortable flying all of my Revs (I have 5... yeah, big surprise)....

I have to believe that once you can adjust for the changing winds and keep your rev in the air, even during the lulls, when you do get in a consistent wind, you would look like you actually know what you are doing...lol

One thing that really helps is having a range of kites to choose from that matches what you fly in... Personally, when I first started, I had the worst luck with low winds (which really seems to be the norm around here... so much for the Windy City nomenclature)... But, having a Power Blast 2-4, Blast and 1.5 with SUL rods in it gives me a good choice and some serious fun when the winds don't want to play nice....

Learn the float.... Learn the float.... learn the float... I have found it to work with all of my revs and keeps my stuff in the air when the wind craps out for a few seconds/minutes.... It took me a while to get it down but it's the best tool in my flying arsenal... even on the 1.5 which really isn't made for floating... somehow I'm able to make it work for me...

If you can somewho get a hold of the video that comes with the Power blast 2-4, do it... it is the best primer on flying any rev IMHO and literally blew everything open for me (pun intended)...

Above all, never give up... enjoy the frustration and turn it into determination.... if you get frustrated, quit and come back to it later.... for me, no matter how frustrated I've gotten (my wife says that we should 'reconsider' my kite flying hobby...lol), by the time I have packed everything up, I'm ready to go again...lol

Never enough wind/never enough time
Posted Image

#7 Nitemist

Nitemist
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:40 AM

I have essentially the same problem - I bought an EXP replacement bridle, no instructions either...
the bridle came in 3 segments (One horizontal and 2 vertical pieces)
I managed to fumble my way thru connecting all the horizontal, and the ends of the 2 vertical lines, but somewhere along the line, I'm having trouble figuring out how to connect the vertical pieces to the horizontal pieces...

there is a knot/loop near the top of the verticals, and I ***think*** it's supposed to slip over the tow-points for the upper lines, but from there, I'm not sure...

any help, pics, etc would be really appreciated!

TIA!
Wal

#8 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:33 AM

The easiest way realy is to have another bridal to compare it to. I have changed a couple now. Took me a while to figure them out. Would have to compare them if I had to do it again.

If you are REALY having problems take Johns offer of ringing him up. He will sort it for you no trouble at all I am sure.

And probably offer you other advice as well.

#9 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:54 AM

Hang on just taken a picture. Not sure if it helps much. Bit out of focus, sorry.

Bridle.JPG

The arched line is the longer one which I thin is both ends and centre of leading edge.

The line it sort of loops through I think is top and bottom of verticals.

#10 Nitemist

Nitemist
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:17 AM

Hang on just taken a picture. Not sure if it helps much. Bit out of focus, sorry.

Bridle.JPG

The arched line is the longer one which I thin is both ends and centre of leading edge.

The line it sort of loops through I think is top and bottom of verticals.

that DID help, thanx!
I just want to make sure it's right...
don't want to have to replace the leading edge rods (again!) this soon into the season

#11 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:57 PM

The easiest way to replace your bridle is to start with the center of the bridle and attach it to the leading edge center. This is done by finding the center of your replacement bridle and larks-heading it around the loop tied in the leading edge of your rev. Pass the loop of the replacement bridle (will have a knot and a loop to one end) through the line tied to the center of your kite and then pass the entire bridle through itself to larks head it to the line tied to the leading edge.

From there work either right or left along the leading edge. You will come to a junction of two lines, one that runs vertical and one that runs along the leading edge of the kite. Attach the shortest piece of line to the top vertical end cap on the leading edge. To do this, pass the loop through the slot in the end of the end cap and then fold the loop around the end cap and pull tight.

The second longest line goes to the very end of the leading edge (this is also the same line continuing from the first center attachment point). Attach it to the end cap the same way.

Take the third line (the longest one) and pull it down towards the trailing edge of the kite and attach the very end to the vertical spar end cap on the bottom.

Do the exact same thing for the other side of the kite and your ready!

If you have the rare chance that your vertical bridle and your horizontal bridles are not already connected then you will have to connect the two together. This can be a bit tricky to explain and usually takes me a minute to try and figure out how to do so have some patience on this one.

The bridle line running from the center of your leading edge to the end of the leading edge has a long loop and knot on it, this is the loop you connect your flying lines to and will be referred to as the "Long loop".

The down bridle (running from leading edge to the bottom of your vertical spar) will have a short loop and will be referred to as the "short loop". This bridle will have two loops in it, one will be long and the other will be short. Make sure that the long loop of the down bridle is closer to the bottom of your kite, this is where you will attach your bottom flying lines to. The short loop is the one that will be used to connect the two bridle segments together.

To connect the two together - hold onto the long loop and spread it apart slightly. Pass the short loop through the long loop from the bottom side. While the short loop is still through the long loop, grab the knot on the long loop and feed it back through the very end loop of the short loop. Pull tight so that the long loop tightens down in front of the knot on the short loop and your done. :)

Sounds easier when you type it out....takes me a while to figure it out unless I have a kite already done next to me. :)

I sure hope this helps. This way will work for attaching the EXP, Rev 1, B-series, Rev II and 1.5 SLE bridles.

Attached Thumbnails

• Rev_Bridle_Diagram.jpg

#12 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

Well explained Kent. Couldnt have done that as well. Thats why I posted a picture.

Isnt it great this never ending source of information we have?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users