Photo

Revolution 25th Anniversary - 100 strong at WSIKF! (Aug 19-24, 2013)

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Poll: So you're coming to WSIKF... (26 member(s) have cast votes)

What days will you be attending?

1. August 18, Sunday (10 votes [6.21%])

Percentage of vote: 6.21%

2. August 19, Monday (16 votes [9.94%])

Percentage of vote: 9.94%

3. August 20, Tuesday (17 votes [10.56%])

Percentage of vote: 10.56%

4. August 21, Wednesday (23 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

5. August 22, Thursday (25 votes [15.53%])

Percentage of vote: 15.53%

6. August 23, Friday (25 votes [15.53%])

Percentage of vote: 15.53%

7. August 24, Saturday (23 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

8. August 25, Sunday (22 votes [13.66%])

Percentage of vote: 13.66%

Have you ever flown grid format before?

1. Yes, in group of 36 kites (6x6) or less. (5 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

2. Yes, in group of more than 36 kites. (12 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

3. No, never flown grid but I can't wait! (9 votes [34.62%])

Percentage of vote: 34.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

More fun, cross-posting from the mega fly Facebook page. ;)

Here are two edited versions of John Mitchell's 100 grid layup, one showing how you can identify the kites in each ring of a full concentric ball formation and the other showing concentric balls in 4 groups... The third diagram simply shows how kite 4-7 would quickly line up to make sure they're in the right place both horizontally and vertically.

"Big concentric balls!" (no wisecracks allowed)
"4 groups of concentric balls!"

The trick is finding reference points that allow you to identify shapes before they happen, seeing the formations before and during. ;)

100-grid-concentric-balls.png 100-grid-4-concentric-balls.png 100-grid-vertical-horizontal-reference.png

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#22 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

Cross-posting more from the Facebook page...

Just posting a reminder about radios for this event... We have not yet confirmed the availability of an adequately placed sound system, so the possibility remains that we will default to using the usual radios.

Be sure to check out Brett Howard's awesome article on radios, good info there...

http://www.kitelife....or-team-flying/

NOTE 1 - All receiving radios are typical American walkie-talkies, available in any electronics or camping store - or online via Amazon (see walkie links the article linked below)... Main thing will be to see what kind of batteries they take, keep plenty of spares, and what kind of headset is available (or will work) with the units you buy.

NOTE 2 - I realize that these types of radios are not available (or legal) in some countries outside the US and Canada, but they are very inexpensive (usually $20-$50 for a set of two) and readily available once you arrive in the US... Worst case, there will be a few extra radios around but this is not guaranteed and it is highly advisable to bring your own or make specific arrangements to borrow from an attending North American flier beforehand.

NOTE 3 - Make sure you are VERY familiar with the VOX (voice activation) control on your radios, specifically how to reliably turn it off and keep it off... If even ONE radio is on VOX, it can easily overtake the leader's transmission and create a problem with communications.

NOTE 4 - If we end up with too many fliers who don't have radios, it's very possible that we'll ask everyone to go without headsets, placing the radio on the outside of their clothing... With enough radios on "open air" like this, the ambient sound quality should be pretty good.

Remember, good discussion can also be found at the other links below.

Last year's field preparations (field cool.png...
http://www.revkites....2012-rev-field/

From the existing world record event in 2010...
http://www.revkites....sikf-aug-16-22/

Thanks all, let's have fun!

John Barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#23 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

Again, sharing over from FB...

Now, just for contrast compared to the other North American videos I just posted... Here's what they did in France last month (30 kites / 6x5 grid) - notice the increased focus on horizontal and vertical alignment, also the higher average level of execution in odd hover positions or slow controlled flight.

While skill helps, the key to it all is a clear focus on particular reference points in the grid and other formations... What will take the 2013 WSIKF group further than years prior, is a clear focus on how to quickly and easily identify rows, columns, shapes (formations), wingmen (neighbors), as well as how to proactively avoid or assist pilots who are struggling.

The pre-flight meetings and practice runs early in the week will be CRUCIAL for anyone who is unsure about their skill or has not worked in large mega teams before... But, I expect we'll also be covering a ton of aspects that have not come up even in past North American record attempts.

One way or the other we'll have TONS of fun, a belly full of laughs, lots of new friends, and we'll help ingrain the reference points will will allow you to be more relaxed during mega fly attempts... And, you'll be AMAZED at how these new skills make a difference in your individual flying afterwards! ;)

John Barresi

#24 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Another cross-post...

Re-posting this for a quick mental exercise, please visualize these calls when looking at the image below... NOTE - for US mega flies, we traditionally count from left to right and top to bottom to find numerical values in the formation.

How quickly can you find:

Odd columns?
Even rows?

Fourth column?

i71-revisions_001.png

==

"ODD COLUMNS RISE, EVEN COLUMNS DROP, AND... NOW!" (vertical threads)

"THREADING BACK THROUGH, AND... NOW!" (all the way through)

"THREADING BACK THROUGH, AND... NOW!" (all the way through)

"BACK TO GRID, AND... NOW!" (up or down, back to your position)

==

"ODD ROWS FACE RIGHT, EVEN ROWS FACE LEFT, AND... NOW!"

"TO THE EDGES ON A STRAIGHT LINE, AND... GO!"

"UP TURN 180, AND... NOW!"

"THREADING THROUGH, LOOK FOR THE HOLES, AND... GO!"

"UP TURN 180, AND... NOW!"

"BACK TO GRID, LOOK FOR THE HOLES, GO!"

TIPS: 

1 - Know your correct altitude (don't rise or drop too much), based on where you are in the grid, get a feeling for flying a straight line across the window, staying more or less at that same altitude on each pass.

2 - When flying through, look for the kites sharing your row in front or behind you, 10 kites across, be a part of that line, watch it peripherally while in motion.

==

"CENTER 4 KITES FACE OUT TO BALL, AND... NOW!"

"NEXT RING OF KITES TO BALL, AND... NOW!" (2nd ring from center)

"NEXT RING OF KITES TO BALL, AND... NOW!" (3rd ring from center)

"NEXT RING OF KITES TO BALL, AND... NOW!" (4th ring from center)

"NEXT RING OF KITES TO BALL, AND... NOW!" (outer ring)

"BURSTING ONE RING AT A TIME, OUTER RING IS ONE, INNER RING IS FIVE..."

"ONE! ... TWO! ... THREE! ... FOUR! ... FIVE!"

"SLOWLY BACK TO BALLS, NOW!"

==

Again, we'll drill a lot but I wanted to share some visuals - I hope they're of use to you! (y)

John Barresi

#25 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

WAY oversimplified, but putting the kites aside for a moment (different set of references - as outlined in earlier images)... I rounded up a bunch of plastic parachute men for an example of an 8x10 grid on the ground so that we can get a good idea at what we're looking for in terms of body positioning on the ground.

It's NEVER exact, but in theory, if everyone has their thinking cap on (see video below), the caller uses using an open tempo of commands and we have 3-4 wranglers on the ground to help guide folks into place, we should be in fairly decent shape.

John Barresi

#26 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:01 AM

I've been dipping into this thread, off and on for a while, and getting more than a little bit jealous, if I'm honest.

When I saw John had posted the video my first thought was "why", when he had already posted the diagrams above, but when I watched it and he zoomed in to look at it from an individual pilots point of view, I got it, tucked in there in the crowd, the grid looks way more intimidating even as a plastic parachute man. 

I don’t want to tread on John’s toes here but I would like to clarify a few points and leave a few tips for anyone intimidated by the grid. I hadn’t really thought of it before but having watched the video I realized that we are not dealing with one grid we are actually dealing with two, The Kite Grid and The Pilot’s Grid, and although they are connected by several mile of line, (John has already done that calculation), it does help to distinguish between the two.

The really important one is The Kite Grid. The zigzag in the pilot columns is an irritating but necessary complication to keep The Pilot Grid compact, by  shortening the back to font size of columns, and keeping The Kite Grid flatter (more vertical) in the sky.

Once you have been assigned your position in The Grid and established your reference points, i.e. the pilot to your left, the pilot to your right, and your position relative to the pilots in front of you (in your zigzagged column).  You need to think of this position as home.  Whilst the kites are in he air, there may be a little bit of movement within The Pilot Grid, but only a very little and you should always be aiming to return home.

When I first flew The Grid, Stephen Hoath was running the show and he introduced me to the very experienced fliers who were to be my reference points, and the grid was built in the arena with kites. However if there are a lot of Grid Virgins, John may decide to rehearse The Pilot Grid without kites so that people can find there reference points. Either way, don’t let it stress you.  From what I have read there are several days set aside for this so any grid virgins should have the opportunity to “Pop Their Cherry” on a smaller grid.

Having established your position on the ground you need to work out your kite’s position in The Kite Grid. You need to know the kite to your left, the kite to your right the one above and the on below. You then need to establish Row and Column numbers and weather they are odd or even, for the threads. “Odds Left, Evens Right” you need to know without thinking “am I odd or am I even?”

That, once upon a time that was the end of the pre mega-fly planning, but now it may well be worth looking at the John’s post  #21 above where he talks of concentric balls and splitting the 10x10 grid into 4x 5x5 grids for smaller figures as these will require a complete re think of the whole “am I odd or even question”. But don’t let that scare you, by the time John gets to calling those moves he will have started to allow more thinking time as even the more experienced Team Fliers will require thinking time.

That is more or less the end of this latest, Stone in Shoe Massive Missive apart from to list my three big Mega-fly Obsevations :-

• It is not difficult, just scary.
  • It is not quite so scary in there, as it looks from the outside.
  • In this game, size really doesn’t matter (grid size that is).  No matter how big the grid is the most you will have to worry about is yours and four other kites, the one above the one below, the one to your left and the one to your right, anything else is somebody else’s problem.

Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#27 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:50 AM

Aye, good info there. :)

John Barresi

#28 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:40 AM

Thanks John I was a little concerned I had said too much and clouded the issue.

Stone in Shoe Bob

#29 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:43 AM

100 kites is cloudy as it is, the more it's cross-examined, the better off we'll be in the long run. :D

John Barresi

#30 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

Yes I know but if you are going for big numbers you don't need me scaring them off. God I wish I was coming.
Stone in Shoe Bob

#31 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:08 PM

I would think that many of the fliers in this grid would have flown in the 64 grid.  We, unfortunately, have a much harder time getting large numbers together on this side of the pond.  As for me, except for Kite Party, WSIKF and a few festivals, I am thrilled when I can get eight.

Lynn and I are ready for, hopefully, the same fun filled week as we had leading up the 64.  Flying in groups and helping to raise both the level of flying and the level of confidence of newer fliers.

We hate to wish our lives away, but tomorrow would be none to soon.  We plan to be in Long Beach the entire month of August.

Oh,,,,,, fresh 120s might be a good idea.

Cheers...........

Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#32 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:48 PM

Update from Illinois . . . at current count I think we'll have at least six or seven Illinois Kite Enthusiast (IKE) members from Illinois at WSIKF to participate in the grid, and several other IKE members from other states as well.  We're hoping to fill a whole column of IKE members.

ike_member.png and 180GO-100.png

#33 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

I plan on bringing LOTS of 120's Jim. :)

#34 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:22 PM

I plan on bringing LOTS of 120's Jim. smile.png

Maybe he's planning on calling a 100-kite Twister!

ike_member.png and 180GO-100.png

#35 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

All kites face right. Outside kites, that's rows and columns1 and 10 move counter clockwise, rows and columns 2 and 9 move clockwise, rows and columns 3 and 8 counter clockwise etc. alternating through the grid, one space. GO. One more space, GO. Back one space, GO. One more space, GO.

Might just work. Could go three, four might be one too many for the kites in the center of the grid. I never twister more than three positions as the forth may cause a "lock" which could really cause problems in this situation.

I know you were just kidding about me calling a twister with 100 kites, but it got me thinking, which could be good or bad. That lead to the 100 kite "Super Blender" which I outlined above. Not hard or complicated, but certain to be a "crowd pleaser".
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#36 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

All kites face right. Outside kites, that's rows and columns1 and 10 move counter clockwise, rows and columns 2 and 9 move clockwise, rows and columns 3 and 8 counter clockwise etc. alternating through the grid, one space. GO. One more space, GO. Back one space, GO. One more space, GO.
Might just work. Could go three, four might be one too many for the kites in the center of the grid. I never twister more than three positions as the forth may cause a "lock" which could really cause problems in this situation. . . . .

Sounds very similar to what we did with concentric balls with The 47 in Portsmouth 2008.

Come on Jim you've had 5 years to practice. ;-P
Stone in Shoe Bob

#37 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

One month to go!!

Actually...even sooner for me...I think I'll get there about the 11th or 12th! :)

(making line sets every day till then...)

#38 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

One month to go!!

Actually...even sooner for me...I think I'll get there about the 11th or 12th! smile.png

(making line sets every day till then...)

I really wish all the fliers and supporters every success in this event.

The Decs will be at Portsmouth and Bristol to celebrate our 25 years of team flying.

Felix

#39 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Map from PDX to Long Beach. Follow the blue line:

https://maps.google....ved=0CDYQ-A8wAA

Please note and don't think it strange that you cross the Mighty Columbia River 3 times.... :)

#40 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

Map from PDX to Long Beach. Follow the blue line:

https://maps.google....ved=0CDYQ-A8wAA

Please note and don't think it strange that you cross the Mighty Columbia River 3 times.... smile.png

I have travelled from SeaTac/Seattle to Long Beach enough times to memorise the route.

Just wish I was doing it this year...

Felix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users