• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 heino1979

heino1979
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Hello

Yes i know to all you pro rev pilots, this may seem like a stupid question, then you fly a rev 1.5 there is a lot of different rods to use and you switch them around. but for new pilots it can be hard to tell what rod to use. meaning that you can see on revs sites, the rod you get along with the kite what wind they work in and can handle. but is you take a standard b-series and put race rod i dont know what wind range there is save to use it in, there fore i have made this.

revrods.jpg

i was hoping you pros can help, us there new in the sport. and fill out as many of the blank cell as possible....Posted Image
Heino

My Kite HomePage

<b>Time is of no importance...<br style="font-size: 14px; ">Only life is important...</b>

Posted Image

#2 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

I did this exact same thing! I went through the entire Rev range and put for each kite, each frame the wind range! I even did a spread sheet with each type of sail the wind range for a given frame to show the overlapping of sail to sail.

Great to graphically show how a 2 wrap vented can be almost the same as a 3 wrap standard.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#3 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:12 AM

Hello

Yes i know to all you pro rev pilots, this may seem like a stupid question, then you fly a rev 1.5 there is a lot of different rods to use and you switch them around. but for new pilots it can be hard to tell what rod to use. meaning that you can see on revs sites, the rod you get along with the kite what wind they work in and can handle. but is you take a standard b-series and put race rod i dont know what wind range there is save to use it in, there fore i have made this.

revrods.jpg

i was hoping you pros can help, us there new in the sport. and fill out as many of the blank cell as possible....Posted Image

To quote Bob Zimmerman........"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"
The key is, don't spend so much time trying to rationalize the wind ranges.....Just go out and fly, try & experiment with different frames in different sails........Basically find what works for YOU.

Mostly, just go out and have some fun!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#4 heino1979

heino1979
  • Forum Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:16 AM

yes that is one way to do it, but maybe is just me, but is let say it 12 mph and i will try a race rod frame and first lift of the frame brakes because its to much wind. yes im new in the sport but i think much easy if you know the range, and then go and try it out..
Heino

My Kite HomePage

<b>Time is of no importance...<br style="font-size: 14px; ">Only life is important...</b>

Posted Image

#5 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 03:37 AM

If you ever put up a kite with a frame that is flexing too much, walk it down. That is, walk WITH the wind as you bring your kite down. Then you can change out frames.
Or, put it up in the stronger frame and change it out if it won't fly well.

You will develop your own wind gauge in no time. As a quick reference, I have a copy of the Beaufort Scale (gives mph and kmh with descriptions) as the wallpaper of my iPhone!

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#6 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

First stop and condense!! All the standards, and all the midvents, and all the full vents are in only 3 groups!! Doesn't make much difference whether it is a "PRO" or a SLE!! Rev has a great breakdown of what the wind ranges are for each rod set, but they are only guidelines for what to use, when!! Most of the time if you need stronger rods, you need a different kite!! Yes, having a chart helps till you develop that "educated ear hair" or "neck hair", but if you generally use a 3 wrap with any sail, you should be safe!!

Now get out there and fly, and learn as you go!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users