No line set.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 flat6nut

flat6nut
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:42 AM

I recently bought a Signature Std B Series. Was it supposed to come with a line set?
Slightly disappointed for the money spent on a new kite. Perhaps packaging should have contents listed.

Since I will now need a line set or two....what is suggested for a person new to Revs? I have flown dual lines for a couple years.

Thanks.
Michael

#2 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:08 AM

Sorry, but that kite doesn't come "standard" with a line set!!Posted Image Most dealers order it without lines to allow the flier to get the length of lines he wants to fly! The usual lengths are either 90#x80' or 90#x120'. Some use shorter, some use lighter, but those 2 are the basic lines! Anything else is personal preference!!

By the way: did you buy through the mail order route or from a local shop? If through a shop, I'm surprised that the store didn't tell you it didn't have lines!! If internet or mail order, most do have a description of contents of what comes in your package! Hope you went through an "authorized" dealer!!

The price was high, but you got 2 complete frames, the best production kite they make, and better handles with leaders! You started with pretty much "top of the line" stuff!!

Get some lines and enjoy!!Posted Image Don't forget to breathe!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

The preferred type of line for revs is 90lb Laser Pro Gold (LPG). As stroke survivor mentioned, 80' and 120' are common lengths. 120' is the international standard for team flying, and is the most commonly used length. My favorite place to get lines is from The Kite Shoppe.

There are some other brands out there that will work, however, LPG is favored for it's characteristics in stretch, bounce and so forth.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

When buying a new or used Rev, if you want lines, handles and frames, look for "RTF" (ready to fly). This means that the package contains everything necessary to put it together and fly. What is nice about Revolution Kites is that you can buy them without the things you don't need. You can purchase "sail only" which is exactly how it sounds, no handles, no lines, no frame, etc. Once you've acquired enough kites there's no need to duplicate the items you already have a bunch of, or things that don't fit in with your flying style.

Also, 120' lines may be cut down to 80' + 40', and cost less than buying one 80' and one 40'.
Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#5 flat6nut

flat6nut
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:01 PM

Thanks. I bought from a local kite shop that carry a lot of rev stuff.
Today I bought 90# 80', and 90# 120' line sets. Both LPG. Not cheap...whoa!! I should be set now.

#6 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

Next item - the easiest way to get up to speed on quad flying if you're coming from dualies (other than lots of practice) is to get together with other Rev flyers. I see you are from Tampa Bay. You should check out Kiting Tampa Bay on Facebook, and they sometimes post here as well. There's KiteOberfest coming up at Treasure Island, and there will be Rev pilots there (including Ben (Beach)) IIRC. So, that's a long way to say there will be plenty of people to learn from at the event. Somewhere on here there's a KiteOberfest thread . . . .

ike_member.png and 180GO-100.png

#7 flat6nut

flat6nut
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

Yep, I have already had offer from Jay Nunes here locally. Looking forward to it.

#8 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

Yep, I have already had offer from Jay Nunes here locally. Looking forward to it.

Definitely go!!! You'll learn so much that you will amaze yourself.

And definitely ouch on the lines. That's why I mentioned that you can cut down a 120' into an 80' and 40'. One 120'=$90.00 One 80'+one40'=$120.00

Eventually, when your 120' begin to get old and dirty (like me), buy a new 120' and cut the old set down to 80' and 40' (more or less). By the time you're ready to do that you will have enough experience to really appreciate the 40' set. Flying on shorties can be a gas! Axels and other things become hiliarously easy.

By the way, love your dualie (avatar).
Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#9 flat6nut

flat6nut
  • Forum Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:37 AM

Thanks. I actually spent $120 on the 90# 120'. I know line sets are not cheap...I have bought plenty for my dualies. But that is just a complete rip off really. No way Rev can justify anything close to that.

#10 ilh

ilh

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

That's about what other online vendors charge for 120' 90# LPG. If you buy bulk line (1000ft), $125ish will get you enough for two sets of 120'. Of course, there is a fair bit of labor involved in making and equalizing the line sets by hand.

Unfortunately, quad is twice as many lines as dual

#11 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

My set of #90 x 120' cost $90AUS. I think the exchange rate was pretty sweet that month!

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users