67 replies to this topic

#21 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

Rich didn't correct Alden on his 100% equals a full vent. He only corrected the mid-vent percentage. So, it does look like your logic makes sense:

100% = Full-vent
75% = Twix a full-vent and a mid-vent
40% = Mid-vent

Hmmm ... that means if Elliot built a mesh sail to be equivalent to an extra-vent, the designation would be something like 150%l!!!

Cheers,
Tom

If anyone could do that, it'd be Mr Shook.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#22 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

I believe we need to change the way we describe a vented sail, so that it reflects the percentage of sail area that is air space. If we refer to a kite as a 100% or 150% vent it sounds as if we're saying it has no sail fabric at all! In other words, if we call it a 25% vent, it should mean that 25% of the sail is holes and 75% is fabric. I have been working on a few vented designs and after doing the math, I have found that even those with lots of great big holes do not exceed 50% air space.

Even the extra-vent pros do not exceed 25% air space, because the mesh itself is less than 50% airspace. I'll do the math and post the results here when I have concluded the measurements.

The surface area that a framed 1.5 Rev presents to the wind is approximately 1820 square inches.
Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#23 MtnFlyer

MtnFlyer
  • Forum Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

Bob,

You've got to be a little careful when Rich and Alden start working together ... they would leave Laural and Hardy speechless.

Rich didn't correct Alden on his 100% equals a full vent. He only corrected the mid-vent percentage. So, it does look like your logic makes sense:

100% = Full-vent
40% = Mid-vent

Hmmm ... that means if Elliot built a mesh sail to be equivalent to an extra-vent, the designation would be something like 150%l!!!

Cheers,
Tom

Nope. Not replying to Rich and Alden, just your earlier querie, and based on Cath's correction of the earlier percents. I've been wondering about these numbers, too, and it finally came together. :P

Your thoughts about the Xvent are on target. Imagine, a spaghetti-like mesh. :lol:
Bob

#24 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,409 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

I saw a 100% vented "REV II style" back in the late 90s. I don't have a picture, but I think it had a Dacron or similar leading edge. The rest was all screen.
It was in Fano, Denmark and the wind was quite strong. I noticed that it did fly quite well in that wind.
I never saw it again nor did I note the name of the owner.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#25 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

Bob,

You've got to be a little careful when Rich and Alden start working together ... they would leave Laural and Hardy speechless.

100% = Full-vent
40% = Mid-vent

Cheers,
Tom

In fact dugard, lamasters & I had that very conversation with Elliot some time ago and damned if I recall the outcome...insert comment here...but it definitely was a laughfest!
Anyway it's safe to say the first kite outta my bag will likely be the 75 first unless it is dead calm. On 50,75 or 100, 50s and a green race frame, it flies down to an oh so sweet float and slackline machine!
The 100 easily flew in the near steady 20mph wind that was WSIKF this year also with green race. Could easily have gone to 3 wraps or even fours if need be for even higher breeze but it was far too long to walk and I was just plain lazy!

Oh yeah......Alden who?

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#26 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:12 PM

I believe we need to change the way we describe a vented sail, so that it reflects the percentage of sail area that is air space.

While that may be a neat way to quantify it, then you'd have to start adding in a measure of how and where it loads to keep the comparison fair :P
(eg, my Polo venteds load NOTHING like my Pro sails)

Just my $0.02 of fuel to the nerdy engineering fire :devil:

#27 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:08 AM

Oh yeah......Alden who?

Phhhhhhbbbbbbttttttt!!!!!!!!

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#28 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:44 AM

Phhhhhhbbbbbbttttttt!!!!!!!!

-Alden

Nicely said! Alden has done the Spaghetti Mesh!

Cath
cath@flyingsmileskites.com
www.FlyingSmilesKites.com
252-453-8442

Come see us at Flying Smiles Kites when you're on the Outer Banks of NC!

Kites make me smile ... Revs make me grin!

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

#29 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:22 AM

Nicely said! Alden has done the Spaghetti Mesh!

NO, NO, NO ... don't run away Cath, come back ... please ... pretty please.

Okay Cath, so you've probably seen Alden's sad attempt at building a weave kite. Poor guy got the outline correct, but then simply couldn't figure out the weave pattern so stopped right there. If Elliot built that kite it obviously would look much better, but what percent label would he apply?

Inquiring minds want to know,
Tom

#30 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

Hey Rich, what were you guys flying here last year in that hurricane? What percentage weave? How did you find it performed during that windstorm? You seemed pretty unphased by it if I remember correctly.

Bart

#31 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

Hey Rich, what were you guys flying here last year in that hurricane? What percentage weave? How did you find it performed during that windstorm? You seemed pretty unphased by it if I remember correctly.

Bart

That was the 100% probably with a 3 wrap.
And yea, that sail stands up to quite a gale!!!! Swift Current's or otherwise!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

av-1950.jpg

#32 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

NO, NO, NO ... don't run away Cath, come back ... please ... pretty please.

Okay Cath, so you've probably seen Alden's sad attempt at building a weave kite. Poor guy got the outline correct, but then simply couldn't figure out the weave pattern so stopped right there. If Elliot built that kite it obviously would look much better, but what percent label would he apply?

Inquiring minds want to know,
Tom

Tom, you mean the Victoria's Secret Kite??

Eliot says "that's not a mesh, it's a ripstop covered frame. Rev will never sanction it - there's no place for the Logo!" :kid_smartass:

Hope All of you are going to Ocean City MD this weekend - we're closed for the weekend to go up there.
See Ya' Soon Jay!

Cath
252-453-8442

#33 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

Is it possible to post some pix showing what the %s mean as it relates to the amount of weave material? Just looking to clear things up!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#34 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:24 AM

Is it possible to post some pix showing what the %s mean as it relates to the amount of weave material? Just looking to clear things up!!Posted Image

The clear part determines the percentage! Posted Image

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#35 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

If that logic holds true - then "Vickie" is the only true 100% type I've seen!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#36 belgarum

belgarum
  • Forum Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

I'm with Wayne on the quest for more info on the mesh, and comparative pictures would help visualise the whole thing.

Maybe Cath could put the record straight? I tried to get this sort of info a while back by emailing FSK with view to buying one, but sadly didn't get a reply.
JP

Rev 1.5B Full Sail (Black & Gold)
Rev 1.5B Mid Vent "Night"
Rev 1.5B Full Vent (Blue & Grey)
Revopolo 1.5 Printed "440102"
Rev1 Sedgwick (Cool)
Flexifoil Super 10
HQ Beamer IV 3.0
Powerhouse Adrenaline
Powerhouse Blade
Flexifoil Atom 1.4

"The quality is remembered long after the cost is forgotten"

#37 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

I hope to get out and fly tomorrow but even if I don't I'll frame em up and do some side by side shots for you.
The difference is in the measurements of the individual strips, which even if I knew wouldn't say cause it's not my place. That said though, the difference is dynamic. Don't let that difference in size of those strips fool you, the range of both the 100 & the 75 are sweet at the extreme top and bottom of the window.
Just saying........
BTW......These pics are of a 75% mesh that weren't taken at some beach in OC last march by John Chilese.
KP10_Pier shot.jpg KP10_back lit Shook Mesh Rev.jpg

"Cya in the Sand!....."

av-1950.jpg

#38 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

25% (The devil made me do it)

I believe it refers to the amount of the sail area that is made of strips as opposed to solid fabric. If you look at his kites you'll notice that on most the center is not mesh, but some are mesh in entirety, including the center (where the rev logo usually is).

Hey folks - Eliot's ALWAYS have a solid center panel with the Rev logo, and after the first few, they also have the compass rose.  Full mesh center panel is either Alden's g-string/Vickie or a chinese knockoff.

FYI, after 6 years of flying this design, I still love the smoothness of it!

Cath

Cath
252-453-8442

#39 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

Cath - is it possible to post some pix with the %s captioning them, so we can compare them?? 

wayne from portland

AKA member

#40 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

Sorry Wayne, that request is simply not a reasonable expectation in this electronic day and age, proprietary knowledge and all.  Rev doesn't share their dimensions publicly.  If you want to know exactly what size one is, then you need to borrow or acquire it, but they're not sending you a diagram nor even a cocktail napkin sketch

surely you would adopt the same non-disclosure attitude in Shook's position.  This is a revenue source and a highly desired product.

the mesh strips are different sizes and the location of them varies as well, depending on which model you desire, (40%, 75% or 100%)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users