22 replies to this topic

#21 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

If you detach the lines from the handles then it makes no difference. If you leave the handles attached to the lines, then larkshead the tops onto the bottoms at the kite end. You'll understand why when you roll them up and get to the handle end.
Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#22 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

I separate the right line from the left line at all times, never letting a line from the other side mix in.
For the left lines, I usually larks head the bottom to the top on one end and the top to the bottom on the other end.
Then I duplicate this for the right side.
The line are then essentially pairs which I wind both on the winder at the same time. You might place a finger between the right and left line as you wind them. I prefer the figure eight winding method. Some prefer the straight winding method. Choose the method that you are most comfortable with. I would suggest that you hold the winder in the same hand when you wind and unwind. I might also suggest that you always wrap your own lines and use the same method. I politely decline offers from others to wind my lines for me. Doing this you will reduce the amount of twists and other mess-ups when you unwind your lines.

Have Fun and Less Tangles!

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#23 dragonfish

dragonfish
  • Forum Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

Hi there,

Hope you're having fun with your new kite. If you're looking to meet up with some local fliers, the Bay Area Sport Kite League has a teaching clinic scheduled for Oct. 20 at the Berkeley Marina, weather permitting. There should be lots of experienced fliers there, and even if you've already figured out the basics by then, it's a great opportunity to pick up lots of useful tips and information. I've been flying for 2 years and I'm still learning a lot at these clinics. I'll probably be there too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users