Rev on the way!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Ian

Ian
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

Hi everyone. i should be getting an EXP in the next few days and im very excited as it will be my first quad! im actually losing sleep im so amped. i only recently started flying 2line stunt kites but to my surprise i enjoyed flying them so much i figured i had to get a quad. i have a question though. the EXP is 92" and the SLE and the JB's are 91". does this mean the frames cant be inter-change? i plan on upgrading to a JB down the road and want to know if the EXP is just going to be a hand me down to my kids or if ill be able to mix and match between the two.

#2 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

Hi everyone. i should be getting an EXP in the next few days and im very excited as it will be my first quad! im actually losing sleep im so amped. i only recently started flying 2line stunt kites but to my surprise i enjoyed flying them so much i figured i had to get a quad. i have a question though. the EXP is 92" and the SLE and the JB's are 91". does this mean the frames cant be inter-change? i plan on upgrading to a JB down the road and want to know if the EXP is just going to be a hand me down to my kids or if ill be able to mix and match between the two.

Welcome!!
All the spars in the 1.5 Series (EXP, SLE, B, B Pro, Xtra V)are 31". They all interchange. Enjoy!

#3 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:58 AM

And no, 31x3 does not equal 91 or 92 now does it? But a bit of the LE pokes out on either side and fits into the endcaps. (and the verticals go on the BACK of the kite.) No worries, they really are all interchangeable, as Theresa said.
Enjoy your maiden flight! Ah, the ecstasy of the first launch, followed by a beautiful arc to one side...and then the inevitable faceplant on the leading edge. It's not easy at first! You've got this forum if you need help, and the tutorials on kitelife. Let us know how it goes! Welcome to the forum, and to quads. :) :) :)

Just pretend all my statements are prefaced with IIRC, AFAIK, IMHO, and end with "Just my $.02," okay?
(And stop asking for cookies, all you new darkside converts! It was all just a ruse to get you here!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Ian

Ian
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:13 AM

thanks for the info! i only asked it cause when i went into the specs from the place im getting it from it said the wingspans were 92" and 91". but i will deffinately take the words of vet fliers.

#5 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

As was previously stated - all the 1.5 frames interchange!! On that first flight, if crashing is inevitable - GIVE TO THE KITE! Walk a step or two forward and DON'T PULL your lines tight! Pulling only drives the kite harder into the ground and increases the possibility of breaking things!! Revs are tough, but the fewer hard crashes the better!! Remember to breathe!!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#6 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

The SLE rods are 1 inch different from the standard rods. That is why you are seeing the two measurements. If you use the standard rods then they are all the same length.

#7 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

Welcome to the dark side (quad line) and to the forum.

The EXP is a good kite, and I still fly mine fairly frequently. You won't regret it nor have to give it to the kids, even if you move up later. However, if you give it to the kids, then you can fly team with them. There is only one "not good" Rev, and they don't sell it any longer (and only then for a short time). It is the Rev whose name cannot be spoken . . . .

#1 thing you must do to speed up your Rev learning is connect with other Rev pilots in real life. Since you live close to Milwaukee, you should contact Jynx (she's on the forum). She flies Revs down at Veteran's Park in Milwaukee, often multiple times a week, and loves to help new pilots learn how to fly.

Second thing you should do is go to Kites Over Lake Michigan this weekend, up in Two Rivers, WI (Sat/Sun). There will be a lot of Rev flyers there, as well as lots of members of the Wisconsin Kiters. I'll be there and would be happy to give you some pointers and loan you a Rev to fly for a bit if yours hasn't arrived.

Third, go to the Motts kite festival in Milwaukee on the 8th/9th - there will be a field set up for learning to fly Revs there, for sure. I don't know that I'll make that one, but you can bet other Milwaukee area Rev pilots will be there.

Fourth - keep posting here! We want to know your progress!

ike_member.png and 180GO-100.png

#8 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

Hi, Ian and welcome to the dark side.

Ditto everything said above.
Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#9 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

The EXP is a great kite, currently the back kite on my 2-Stack, and everything is interchangeable. A great one to learn on.
What colours did you get?
And crashes, they aren't as bad as they look and sound, .....give to the kite. .....and breathe, ....have fun.

Rob.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#10 stevepigeon

stevepigeon

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

i remember my first rev it was given to me by my brother in law jay nunes i think he got a commission on the revs to follow lol 2 years later we bought a kite store and in my first year i ended up bying 72 revs and noo i don't have an addictive personality i just love revs its funny my last rev was given to me also enjoy flying your kite and enjoy the freindships that come with it the rev family is priceless
Steve & Sherri

#11 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Location:West Allis (Milwaukee) WI ...and... New Smyrna Beach FL winters

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

Ian ~ Love to help you get started (if needed) and lend any tips or help I can. If you wish PM me and I'll give you my number.

As Steve said, I'm at Veterans Park, at the lake front, several times a week (today was WINDerFULL). Posted Image

"When the power of love becomes more important than the love of power,

then there will be peace"

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#12 Ian

Ian
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

thanks everyone! now only if the whole world was this friendly and helpfull :lol: .

unfortunately i cant make it to two rivers this weekend but i sure appreciate the offer of help and teaching.

i will be able to go to veterans park the weekend after though and hopfully get to meet some rev fliers like Jynx!

the color of the kite is lime/blue.

#13 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

thanks everyone! now only if the whole world was this friendly and helpfull :lol: .

unfortunately i cant make it to two rivers this weekend but i sure appreciate the offer of help and teaching.

i will be able to go to veterans park the weekend after though and hopfully get to meet some rev fliers like Jynx!

Mine is Lime & Blue. Really looks good under lights!

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#14 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:10 AM

As Steve said . . . .

Goestoeleven = Steve

Just to clarify . . . .

See you at TR KOLM Jynx!!

ike_member.png and 180GO-100.png

#15 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:16 AM

thanks everyone! now only if the whole world was this friendly and helpfull Posted Image .

Ian ~ I now know who ya are! ...you bought your kite from Mike? ...He was going to give you my info if you needed some set-up tips! I've been looking for your kite (colors) at Vets since.

We'll (hopefully) see you at Mots (9/8-9). Most of us Dark-Siders will be south of the performance field just doing 'r thang! ...Make sure to come over and say "Hi" ...and FLY! Posted Image

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#16 Ian

Ian
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

Ian ~ I now know who ya are! ...you bought your kite from Mike? ...He was going to give you my info if you needed some set-up tips! I've been looking for your kite (colors) at Vets since.

We'll (hopefully) see you at Mots (9/8-9). Most of us Dark-Siders will be south of the performance field just doing 'r thang! ...Make sure to come over and say "Hi" ...and FLY! Posted Image

i dont think im geting my kite from mike, unless he owns the kite shop its ordered from? i should see you at Mots though:) looking forward to it!

#17 Ian

Ian
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

EXP should be here on 9/18 but Jynx took me out today for a hands on tutorial and a first flight with her kites! it was AWESOME! thanks to her i will feel very confident getting out on my own as soon as the kite comes in. to any first time flyers i would highly recomend getting out there with someone who knows what they're doing. she made me feel comfortable and i never got frustrated. so thanks again to Jynx, you are awesome!

#18 Jynx

Jynx

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

EXP should be here on 9/18 but Jynx took me out today for a hands on tutorial and a first flight with her kites! it was AWESOME! thanks to her i will feel very confident getting out on my own as soon as the kite comes in. to any first time flyers i would highly recomend getting out there with someone who knows what they're doing. she made me feel comfortable and i never got frustrated. so thanks again to Jynx, you are awesome!

Thanks for your kind words ...BUT... You made it so easy for me! You're such a 'Natural', an easy-learner, and no question...you'll be tricking on your own in no time! Posted Image

If you need any tweaking... just give a call!

I'll pass-on your number to Ken and Tanya (West Bend)... You'll have a great time flying with them, and they with you!

I had a WINDerFULL time today... you put a Big and Proud smile on my face! Posted Image

Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

#19 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

Jynx, Your Awesome!

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#20 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

Jynx, Your Awesome!

Jynx is not awesome, she is WINDerFULL !!!!!!

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users