First Flight

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 CWhippie

CWhippie
  • Forum Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:12 AM

So my knew Vented B-Series arrived saturday, but last night was the first chance i got to take it out.

So i unfolded the kite, set it up, attached the lies to the kite, ran em out and connected em to the handles. A few turns later I had the lines un tangled however while I was doing so the kite had lifted up off the ground and flopped around a bit (it really wanted to fly). Having forgotten a screwdriver, and not wanting a golf ball kite stake (what does golf have to do with kites anyway?) I carefully pushed one of the 4-wrap rods into the ground. Before you try this at home, I live in the desert there is 1/8th inch of grass then all sand. So again I walked back to my kite once or twice, and got the bridle unwarpped and it sitting pretty.

And boy did that kite lift off the ground when I was back at the handles and ready to fly. We had our typical gusty 10-15mph winds I would guess. So, time to practice what I had been shown several months earlier, up/down, hover.

Not 5 minutes into my flight here come 3 kids running under my kite, oh and here comes the mother... not to pull them to a safe distance but rather to help them chase after it and shout something like up orfly in spanish. they didnt understand a bit of english, and I know about 5 words in spanish. So I zigzagged the kiteback down the field, stopping briefly a couple times so they could run up to the kite and chase it, since they were going to anyway. 10 minutes later I came to rest on the ground and they pretty much walked through the lines and over the kite when i put slack in so the kids wouldnt get hurt. At that ppoint in time i was out of field to back into and it was dark.

so if anyone questions it, the vented b-Series can even withstand the forces of a troupe of unwieldy children (age 6 at most).

It was a good first flight though, no walks of shame. could of used slightly better conditions but this is what i expected the wind to be like. So now I sit in my office looking for a window so I can see if the wind is up, jonesing for my next flight ;)

Chad

#2 AdventureAng

AdventureAng

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:35 AM

I thought this story was going to end in dissapointment when one of the kids ran over one of your spars you were using to hold the handels, but I'm glad no such thing happened and that your flight was a good one.

And I feel your pain about being stuck in the office, I don't have a window and I'm still trying to figure out a way that I can make a 2" kite that I can fly in my office. That would be pretty cool huh?
~AdventureAng
Happy flying to everybody. Now get off the computer and get a kite out! hehe

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:42 AM

Sounds like a good time. If that ever happens, a thing I like to do is the toss and catch thing. I'll catch the kite, so then the kids can't chase it any more. Once they get bored and go terrorize someone else, I throw it out and keep on flying!

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:57 AM

Nice work Chad, glad to hear it all worked out... We always want to take care with passerby, no matter how frustrated we might be, or how daft they are. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#5 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:07 PM

well year after year it gets harder to do :kid_brooding:
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#6 CWhippie

CWhippie
  • Forum Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:11 PM

Sounds like a good time. If that ever happens, a thing I like to do is the toss and catch thing. I'll catch the kite, so then the kids can't chase it any more. Once they get bored and go terrorize someone else, I throw it out and keep on flying!

yeah well let me figure out how to fly it first, then I will work on playing toss and catch. :blue_wink:

#7 Andy L

Andy L
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 04:30 AM

I have a similar story to yours from 2 weeks ago......

To cut the story short, it was a perfect day for flying, sunny, 15mph wind and loads of space on the beach. So, I set up my kite and started flying, after about an hour my hands started to get tired so I landed the kite inverted, staked the handles and walked back to the car. As I was sitting in my car there were many cars driving past in front of me (at the back of the beach) but not near to my kite (nearer to the sea) and then out of nowhere came a lifeguard truck driving down the beach and before I could react and get thier attention it had driven over the lines (still attached to the kite and staked handles)!! Luckily, somehow, the kite didnt seem to react too badly, it just sort of jolted towards the handles a bit, it was not damaged in anyway....

Anyway this weekend just gone I was at the same beach and the same truck drove along again but this time I think the driver had learned his lesson as he drove around the rev and not over it!!

:rev_clockwork:

#8 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 05:07 AM

Nice work Chad, glad to hear it all worked out... We always want to take care with passerby, no matter how frustrated we might be, or how daft they are. ;)

Ya big girl's blouse, Barresi! I favour razor-wire tails myself..... :kid_brooding: (Oh come on - you can't deny it would do the trick!! :kid_devlish: )

#9 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 06:11 AM

Fraser, that's what we kept telling them in Wildwood. "Those lines will cut you"... Seems to get their attention, especially when Greg hollers it at them! :lol:
"Don't go in there!" RC

#10 CWhippie

CWhippie
  • Forum Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:18 AM

yeah, well with the speed that the kite could be moving even if they didnt cut you it aint going to feel good.

Anyone know how to say " Those strings will cut you" in spanish?

#11 TGunn

TGunn

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:22 PM

Anyone know how to say "Those strings will cut you" in spanish?

Esas secuencias le cortarán

Troy Gunn

TKO Sport Kite Team - Founding Member
<a class="bbc_url" title="External link" href="http://tko.sportkite...d.com/home.htm" rel="nofollow external">http://tko.sportkite...od.com/home.htm

#12 CWhippie

CWhippie
  • Forum Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:37 AM

Esas secuencias le cortarán

thank you.

seeing how Revs are world wide perhaps we should start a series of how to say "those strings will cut you" and other key Rev phrases like "Hold still, im just going to land it on your head" in various langauges. lol

#13 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:27 AM

I'm glad someone posted that. I would go to mexico saying
"El Stringos El Cut You!!!" ^_^

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic