• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Andy L

Andy L
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:20 AM

Hi Everyone,

Was just wondering if any rev trainers had any advice on what the best rev is for teaching a newbie to fly revs? The person im going to try and teach has absolutely no experience at flying revs. I was thinking that the Rev EXP would be a good place to start because its the cheapest rev and a beginner would not be able to appreciate the extra precision that the other revs give. But on the other hand I was also thinking that the Rev 1 might be a good place to start as its a slower kite than most revs and also a little easier to control (due to its larger wing span). Please correct me if i am wrong on this as I have not flow a Rev 1 before! Thanks for any advice. Also feel free to drop any teaching tips my way.

Andy

#2 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:46 AM

Andy.
Use the 1.5.

As you know , us lads "up north" get a fair bit of wind and if you try to teach with the rev1 in winds above, say 10mph or so the rev1 might be a bit too much for a first time rev.
No mate, you go with the 1.5.

Derek.

#3 Andy L

Andy L
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 04:28 AM

Andy.
Use the 1.5.

As you know , us lads "up north" get a fair bit of wind and if you try to teach with the rev1 in winds above, say 10mph or so the rev1 might be a bit too much for a first time rev.
No mate, you go with the 1.5.

Derek.

Thanks Derek,

I generally fly at ainsdale beach where the winds are about 15mph. I myslef own a 1.5B, 1.5B series, EXP and a shockwave, but rarely do I fly anything other than my B-Series vented because its just so precise in 15 mph winds. What wind range is a rev 1 vented good for? Also would you recommend using SLE rods as they are stronger and therefore less likely to break?

Andy

#4 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:05 AM

Andy.
Take the Sle rods and put em in a plant pot so you can grow tomatoes with em, and leave em there :lol:

The 1/4 inch rods in your EXP are as good as any to learn on.
To be honest, if it were me id use your bSeries to teach your mate; then you can test the wind yourself by having a quick fly and then hand your kite over to the newbie
I dont have experience of the vented rev1 but you have the best tool for the jod in the B series.

Derek

ps
go on the NKG forum and ask on there; thy fly at ainsdale i think.

#5 Andy L

Andy L
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:53 AM

I didnt really want to let a new flyer use my B-Series incase they break it. Plus I also dont think that a new flyer will gain anything from flying a b-series kite straight away, because they wont be able to "feel" the extra precision that the b-series has.

#6 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:34 AM

Most important, the SLE will make it harder for people to learn... Too much forward drive, they'll always be struggling to keep it under control.

A 3 wrap leading edge (like the EXP) is bloody hard to break.

Teach 'em hovering (comfort zone), then go on to the other basic principles (like loops and such). ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#7 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:41 AM

Also would you recommend using SLE rods as they are stronger and therefore less likely to break?

As a realtively new flyer, I can tell you that an SLE is hard to learn on (but yes it does take alot of abuse).

I've taken everyone's advice and am patiently awaiting my replacement 3warp rod as John B suggests. I can't wait to see the difference because the SLE is killing me. A less patient person would have been turned off of rev flying by now.

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#8 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:04 AM

Most important, the SLE will make it harder for people to learn... Too much forward drive, they'll always be struggling to keep it under control.

A 3 wrap leading edge (like the EXP) is bloody hard to break.

Teach 'em hovering (comfort zone), then go on to the other basic principles (like loops and such). ;)

Any recommondations as to which knot(s) on the handles one should use for SLE flying? I'd say the winds here are medium to light. Until my 3 wrap rods arrive, this would be good to know.

#9 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:05 AM

"I didnt really want to let a new flyer use my B-Series incase they break it"

Andy, well if you use your EXP and break that, ist going to cost roughly the same; no matter which rod you break .

Derek

#10 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:48 AM

Andy,

I learned to fly on a 1.5 with the EXP LE. In fact that's what I use to teach people now days. If you're worried about teaching someone who has never laid eyes on a rev before don't you worry. If I'm flying in a park for a while, I just find a person who seems slightly interested, and ask them if they want to fly.

I understand not using the B-Series because of how expensive it is. I wouldn't (but that might be because it took 3 months for me to save up for it!!!!). Once the person has the basics down on the 1.5. Then I would let him fly the B-Series.

It's kind of difficult for a newbie to really to much damage to a Rev. What learners do most is nose dive. As lick as you're not around a bunch of rocks, or polls (I have a story to go with the poll thing, but I'll save that for an other time) you should be fine.

Spence

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#11 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:36 AM

Any recommondations as to which knot(s) on the handles one should use for SLE flying? I'd say the winds here are medium to light. Until my 3 wrap rods arrive, this would be good to know.

Try them all. Thats kind of the fun part. Just find what fits you the best. It's a personal thing. :blue-music: You will probably find you like to change it with different winds and what you are in the mood to do that day. Some of the hot shots use a ton of reverse to do 3-D stuff but It may be a bit early to think of that.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#12 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:49 PM

Some of the hot shots use a ton of reverse to do 3-D stuff but It may be a bit early to think of that.

Definitely too early to be thinking about that! Hee!

#13 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:11 PM

Aero think of the top knots like this, need more up pull it a knot back, need more down let it out one.

Another problem I see with new fliers is that they hold the handles like they are riding motocross, as long as you keep your for finger wrapped those handles are locked in.

Personally I hold mine with my for finger above the foam, thumbs on the tops and I use my fingers to tap on the foam for steering, during inverted flight my hands seem to automatically slide up and down the handles to adjust to what I'm doing.

All in all lighter wind your lines will be toward you, more heavier wind away more, also you may want to bring your bottoms in as far as you can, then adjust from there so you will always have a set point in which to start.

All of your forward and reverse control can be adjusted by the top lines, that makes it allot less confusing ( adjust 2 instead of 4 )

Hope that helps, Jim
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#14 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:45 PM

Aero think of the top knots like this, need more up pull it a knot back need more down let it out one.

Another problem I see with new fliers is that they hold the handles like they are riding motocross, as long as you keep your for finger wrapped those handles are locked in.

Personally I hold mine with my for finger above the foam, thumbs on the tops and I use my fingers to tap on the foam for steering, during inverted flight my handles seem to automatically slide up and down the handles to adjust to what I'm doing.

I've seen others do this. With the placement of the foam grips, it does make you want to hold it a certain way by default.

All in all lighter wind your lines will be toward you more heavier wind away more, also you may want to bring your bottoms in as far as you can, then adjust from there so you will always have a set point in which to start.

All of your forward and reverse control can be adjusted by the top lines, that makes it allot less confusing ( adjust 2 instead of 4 )

Hope that helps, Jim

These tips help alot actually! :D There's so much to wrap one's brain around. :? Thanks Much, Fort!!!

#15 Andy L

Andy L
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:52 AM

Thanks for all the advice everyone :D . Looks like I wil be using the 1/4" rods. Just another quick question; What is the ideal wind speed for a rev 1.5 with a 3 wrap frame set? I ask because I have very little experience with wind speeds above 5 mph and below 15mph (I know it sounds daft! but the wind blows either very hard or not at all where I fly, so most my experince is on a b-series vented at about 18mph.

#16 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for all the advice everyone :D . Looks like I wil be using the 1/4" rods. Just another quick question; What is the ideal wind speed for a rev 1.5 with a 3 wrap frame set? I ask because I have very little experience with wind speeds above 5 mph and below 15mph (I know it sounds daft! but the wind blows either very hard or not at all where I fly, so most my experince is on a b-series vented at about 18mph.

Andy pretty much when you see the kite bending allot its a good idea to up the leading edge a bit. if you have the Vented B-series it comes with a 3 and a 4 wrap.

I wouldn't worry about the down spars as much as the leading edge, after 15 the 3 wrap will bend quite a bit I would go with the 4 wrap then, personally after 15 mph the performance levels of the lighter rods to me are useless, if your up around 25 the 3 and 4 wrap combined works well as you will still get that bend for precision as opposed to the SLE which stays very straight.

Some people prefer the SLE in higher winds as it does slow the kite down speed wise, it's all personal preference when it comes to over 20 mph.

Allot of times when its 15-20 I like to put a 4 wrap center with 3 wrap ends, I mix and match my LE allot especially around the 10 mph range I will use a 3 wrap center with 2 wrap ends on a vented kite to give me the curve I want in that light of wind.

The Actual wind ranges as listed by Rev are as follows:

Standard 1.5
3-10 mph (2 wrap frame)
4-16 mph (3 wrap frame)
6-20 mph (3 wrap frame w/2 wrap LE added)

or Vented

5-20 mph (3 wrap frame included) - seems a bit on the high end
6-30 mph (4 wrap frame included) - this one as well as the SLE 5 wrap is rated to 25 mph
10-45 mph (4 wrap frame w/3 wrap LE added)

As far as the high wind stuff to me I'd rather upgrade my LE a bit sooner because breaking one can suck, and at that wind speed your going to fly without the added performance of lighter rods anyhow so why take the chance.

Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#17 Andy L

Andy L
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:44 AM

Andy pretty much when you see the kite bending allot its a good idea to up the leading edge a bit. if you have the Vented B-series it comes with a 3 and a 4 wrap.

I wouldn't worry about the down spars as much as the leading edge, after 15 the 3 wrap will bend quite a bit I would go with the 4 wrap then, personally after 15 mph the performance levels of the lighter rods to me are useless, if your up around 25 the 3 and 4 wrap combined works well as you will still get that bend for precision as opposed to the SLE which stays very straight.

Some people prefer the SLE in higher winds as it does slow the kite down speed wise, it's all personal preference when it comes to over 20 mph.

Allot of times when its 15-20 I like to put a 4 wrap center with 3 wrap ends, I mix and match my LE allot especially around the 10 mph range I will use a 3 wrap center with 2 wrap ends on a vented kite to give me the curve I want in that light of wind.

The Actual wind ranges as listed by Rev are as follows:

Standard 1.5
3-10 mph (2 wrap frame)
4-16 mph (3 wrap frame)
6-20 mph (3 wrap frame w/2 wrap LE added)

or Vented

5-20 mph (3 wrap frame included) - seems a bit on the high end
6-30 mph (4 wrap frame included) - this one as well as the SLE 5 wrap is rated to 25 mph
10-45 mph (4 wrap frame w/3 wrap LE added)

As far as the high wind stuff to me I'd rather upgrade my LE a bit sooner because breaking one can suck, and at that wind speed your going to fly without the added performance of lighter rods anyhow so why take the chance.

Sorry FortFlyer, my last post did not explain what I wanted to say very well. What I should of said is I am very experienced at flying in winds above 15 mph and have no problems there, its just that I have never flown in winds below 15 mph (infact I have a standard B-Series that has never been out the bag!). My main question is what is an ideal wind for a standard Rev 1.5 with a 3 wrap frame set.

Also does anyone know the wind range of a Rev 1 vented? I cant find it anywhere.

#18 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 04:00 AM

Sorry FortFlyer, my last post did not explain what I wanted to say very well. What I should of said is I am very experienced at flying in winds above 15 mph and have no problems there, its just that I have never flown in winds below 15 mph (infact I have a standard B-Series that has never been out the bag!). My main question is what is an ideal wind for a standard Rev 1.5 with a 3 wrap frame set.

Also does anyone know the wind range of a Rev 1 vented? I cant find it anywhere.

Rev says at:http://www.revkites.com/main/Rev-I_Vented

"The Rev I Vented with SLE enables you to take the stability and precision of the Rev I clear up into the 25-30 mph range, and is has been flown by top competitors in as little as 5 mph with an ultralight frame in order to take advantage of the unique flight abilities found in a vented Revolution... Comfort and control in is definitely this kite's forte."

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#19 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:16 PM

the 1.5 is the best teacher kite its what ive always used to show people the ropes of flying
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#20 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:18 PM

Agreed, it's not as large and overpowering for a new flier.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users