118 replies to this topic

#21 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:14 AM

Watty also put together an animation *before* the Boot Camp, it was a quick job and hasn't been polished but it will give you an idea:

Not available in my country - music copyright issues.

I'll have the routine down by then regardless, just point me to the slot I'm flying in B)

#22 Bri

Bri

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

You know me ... I'll throw the bags into the room, grab what I need and go join the first line I can find. :blue-cool:

I can wait to see everyone from the clinic again (I'm not even going to list names because I know I'll accidentally forget someone) and meet the other names and faces.

As for the Champions routine - it's almost committed to memory in its entirity so I can fly any position in the line on a moments notice. I was fortunate enough to be in a 6 pack with Brett and Bri at the clinic, so I'll leave it up to them to decide if I'm invited to the party ;)

Of course you're invited to the party Steven! Are you crazy?! :) Can't wait to see you too, glad you're going to be up for any slot in the line! I'm sure we'll need people like you that are able to move around as the teams settle in. I'll be back soon with more info (I have to do at least a modicum of actual work today). :P

#23 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Work is what we do so we can afford to do all the things we'd rather do instead of working.

Since i don't have an assigned slot I'm just learning the routine as a whole so I'll be able to fill any slot except 1. You've seen me fly so you know my capabilities already.

#24 Bri

Bri

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 04:34 PM

Hi all~
I'm happy to be helping coordinate this effort while John is off doing his thing with iQuad. Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them.

A couple reminders:
For a look at the skills necessary for this team routine, check out the Rev Team Boot Camp overview from July.

If you want to participate in the group fly of 6-person teams, please PM me with:
  • An honest summary of your basic abilities on a Rev - even if you think you're "not ready," there is a very good chance we can help you be ready with surprisingly little work and a friendly, encouraging environment.
  • List of team-mates, if you've got a crew or have kite friends who want to join you.
  • What dates you'll be attending WSIKF.
==========================================

Basic overview of the mega-routine project at WSIKF:

• There will be routine-savvy people on the beach starting the weekend before (Sunday 8/19), so folks can connect with them and learn something anytime. Just touch base with pretty much anyone on the Rev field and they'll be able to point you in the right direction.
  • The official stick practice and kite practice is "mandatory." There will be other opportunities to get up to speed but it is highly recommended that you attend the official practice. This will help us get an idea of who we have available and start getting people into teams. Keep in mind that we need 6 kites in each team to fly, so we need to make sure everything is squared away or we risk having to ground one of the teams. Nobody wants that!
  • When you're reviewing the animation and boot camp videos, focus on the general pictures the kites are making rather than learning the flight path for one specific kite. This will make it MUCH easier to form teams. Thanks to those who have already said they'd be willing to fly any position, that will help immensely.

6-person routine ORIENTATION (official practice time) will be scheduled for:

- Wednesday 12pm to 3pm
- Thursday 12pm to 3pm

John suggested getting the RevGuild SUBWAY sandwiches delivered at 11am on both of the official practice days. So lets get everyone together a little early, eat some lunch and hit the field! :)

==========================================

Things to bring:
  • Rev 1.5 kite(s) appropriate for the wind
  • 120' lines
  • A "stick rev" if you have one or have time to make one! Basically, this is a Rev Shaped Object approximately 3-4" wide that you attach to the end of a spar. You can see examples in the beginning of the team boot camp video for inspiration.
  • Two-way radios are not required, but they will make things much easier. If you have one, please bring it. Don't forget appropriate headphones/headset and lots of batteries!
This should be great fun and an awesome display of what the Rev community can pull together and accomplish. I look forward to flying with you all! Again, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Bri

#25 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

I will second the rev sticks, it will help IMMENSELY with learning the routine. I really recommend FMRS/GMRS radio with a headset. Only callers need transmit capabilities, and having one with a bug in your ear will make flying in team much easier. Brett had a setup where he played the music in his transmission while he called, made it easy to get the key points of the routine timed to the music.

Good Job Bri!!!! I will be there all week to help anyone with the routine, or even getting started flying along side others.

And if anyone needs a kite stake............ :sign_kitelife:
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#26 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

The nice thing is that we have at least 21 people who already know this routine, and are capable of working with others if they feel inspired to do so. I think it is feasible to have a few teams up and running.

Oooooohhhhhhh........can I play too????!!!!!!!Posted Image

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#27 Bri

Bri

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

I will second the rev sticks, it will help IMMENSELY with learning the routine. I really recommend FMRS/GMRS radio with a headset. Only callers need transmit capabilities, and having one with a bug in your ear will make flying in team much easier. Brett had a setup where he played the music in his transmission while he called, made it easy to get the key points of the routine timed to the music.

Good Job Bri!!!! I will be there all week to help anyone with the routine, or even getting started flying along side others.

And if anyone needs a kite stake............ :sign_kitelife:

Thanks for the clarification on the radios Walt, I kinda glossed over a few facts, didn't I? :)

A few notes about radios:
Brett, Katrina and I have GXT 1000 radios for calling, but they may be a little larger/more expensive than people want to handle. They will accept standard 3.5mm headphones (but mono only) for those just in receive. It's nice to be able to use something more comfortable than what they give you sometimes.
Motorola radios require a specific headset but are otherwise great radios.
The Midland LXT models are also good choices and they're only around $20-30/pair and take normal headphones (mono only again)

There are a ton of other brands/models out there, we've just barely scratched the surface. Find something you like, can afford and will do FRS channels and you'll be fine!

There's also some good information in the forums:
My linkhttp://www.revkites.com/forum/topic/3782-lets-talk-about-radios/page__st__20__p__88289__hl__radio__fromsearch__1&#entry88289

Please note that I'm not a radio expert, I'm just pulling from the forum and a discussion we had before the team clinic. I'm sure Brett will have his fancy circuit with him so anyone on channel can hear the music as well as his calls.

Bri

#28 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

Is is still a flash mob if we have scheduled practice sessions? :P

I'll be there from Friday sometime - while I wasn't at the boot camp, like the rest of the family I am happy to help people with skills. I'm not the best, but I've managed some team flying and seem to be able to keep the kite from crashing so I'll do what I can to help.

For anyone reading this who thinks they're not ready - without fail I find that anyone who thinks this is more ready than they think they are. Get your :censored: into the middle of a line and you will be surprised by both what you can do as well as how much you progress ... don't hold yourself back.

@Walt
While I can't recommend your stakes enough, they sure are pretty and addictive ... talk like that will just cost us money ;)

#29 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 04:39 AM

And if anyone needs a kite stake............ Posted Image

Or a custom aluminum Rev Stick... Posted Image

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#30 Bri

Bri

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:53 AM

Is is still a flash mob if we have scheduled practice sessions? :P

I'll be there from Friday sometime - while I wasn't at the boot camp, like the rest of the family I am happy to help people with skills. I'm not the best, but I've managed some team flying and seem to be able to keep the kite from crashing so I'll do what I can to help.

For anyone reading this who thinks they're not ready - without fail I find that anyone who thinks this is more ready than they think they are. Get your :censored: into the middle of a line and you will be surprised by both what you can do as well as how much you progress ... don't hold yourself back.

@Walt
While I can't recommend your stakes enough, they sure are pretty and addictive ... talk like that will just cost us money ;)

What, you think those people playing a concerto on the subway or dancing in a train station didn't practice? :)

And I second your sentiments on "not being ready." Anyone who is trying hard enough to worry about it will probably be just fine. And really, what happens if we crash? Some tangled lines? No biggie. Come on in, the water's fine!

#31 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

Oooooohhhhhhh........can I play too????!!!!!!!Posted Image

Dear Mr. Quaa,

Depends. Have you sent an honest summary of your abilities to Bri? :kid_devlish:

Cordially yours,

Katrina :P

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#32 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

Who's ready for some full contact, WWE style flying?? Posted Image HAHA!! No blood, no tears, just tangles that can be undone!! Get on a line!!!! Nobody bites!! Hard anyway!! Posted Image Join in, the fun awaits!!Posted Image

PS: If I can do it, I ain't listening to a lot of excuses coming from the peanut gallery!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#33 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

Not available in my country - music copyright issues.

You can try the muted version of Watty's animation:

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#34 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

Nothing formulated yet Felix, but especially with 2013 being Revolution's 25th anniversary... Why not do something epic? Posted Image

One way or another, I'd say it's safe for folks to start pre-planning their travel to Long Beach.

100 Kites makes sense.. Quad lines x 25yrs.... Just sayin.. Any number would work, but 100 would have special meaning, at least to some of us nerds that know...

Posted Image
Rev B full sail, Mid & Full Vent
Rev SLE
Rev Blast
Large Duffel bag full of frameless ripstop and lines

An ear to ear grin when the trees are moving

#35 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

100 Kites makes sense.. Quad lines x 25yrs.... Just sayin.. Any number would work, but 100 would have special meaning, at least to some of us nerds that know...

There are some numbers that are more interesting but since 1993 when I suggested the possibility 100 has been the focus...

Felix

#36 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

Dear Mr. Quaa,

Depends. Have you sent an honest summary of your abilities to Bri? :kid_devlish:

Cordially yours,

Katrina-

You better be more specific with rich or he will share abilities that we all don't want to know about. . . .

I am hoping I can make it as well. . . .

ike_member.png and 180GO-100.png

#37 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

Dear Mr. Quaa,

Cordially yours,

I'll tell you what I told Bri......

I can fly........somePosted Image

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#38 Bri

Bri

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

I'll tell you what I told Bri......

I can fly........somePosted Image

Anybody that can fly "some" like you is ok in my book. :)

#39 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Katrina-

You better be more specific with rich or he will share abilities that we all don't want to know about. . . .

I am hoping I can make it as well. . . .

:blink: :lol: Luckily Rich took the high road. Hope you can come Steve!

Thanks to Bri for coordinating this deal. She's perfect for the job. For the record, I wasn't meaning to give HER a hard time about the abilities assessment thing, just Rich.:) I agree, it is funny how if someone says they're not ready, they usually ARE. Translation, "I'm ready, but I don't want to mess everyone up," or, "I'm ready, but I'm scared :censored:less. Those that really aren't ready don't say they aren't ready. They say they're still working on hovers, or flying in straight-ish lines, something like that. So if you really don't want to be prodded into the line at WSIKF, choose your words carefully!:kid_content: But if you're reading this thread...you KNOW you want to be in on it.

#40 mdilucca

mdilucca

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

That Rich guy is an OK flyer and he even passed the Island Quad admission trial with an A++ :kid_devlish: :kid_smartass:

Cheers
Mario

Cheers

Mario

Island_quad_logoSmall_50_zps817bf301.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users