Brand New

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Pignbroke

Pignbroke
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Hi ho Felix, just to let you know that i cant make the trip tomorrow as my work has just posted me to Scotland next week and i need to travel up tomorrow afternoon ready for Monday, a really big thanks for your kind offer in trying to get me started and hopefully i will be able to meet you and the gang soon.

On a footnote i have driven around 100 miles today to different sites locally and not one of them had eneough wind to get me going, so i have my first new kite and i am grounded.

Damn pesky high pressure Grrrrrrrrr

Brian (Pig)

#22 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

Perfect Blackheath summer day! OK wind variable 90 degree swings but... no rain. Parking restrictions look ominous for the next few weekends but we may try.

#23 Pignbroke

Pignbroke
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hi all, good news and bad news, the good is that i got my first flight today and really enjoyed it the bad is that i was shockingly bad, when i arrived at my local playing fields there was a group of power kiters in the corner and when one of them saw me unpack my Revolution they all came over to watch, i did say that this was my first flight and dont expect a JB performance they laughed as if they didnt believe me it didnt take long for them to realise that i was indeed telling the truth and they wandered off shaking their heads.

Got hold of a decent hover no major problems but as soon as i wanted to go left or right thats when the carnage started, so really do need the help of someone to pass on their tips and knowledge so hopefully Felix we can meet up at some stage.

Will keep you informed of progress.

Pig

#24 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Hi all, good news and bad news, the good is that i got my first flight today and really enjoyed it the bad is that i was shockingly bad, when i arrived at my local playing fields there was a group of power kiters in the corner and when one of them saw me unpack my Revolution they all came over to watch, i did say that this was my first flight and dont expect a JB performance they laughed as if they didnt believe me it didnt take long for them to realise that i was indeed telling the truth and they wandered off shaking their heads.

Got hold of a decent hover no major problems but as soon as i wanted to go left or right thats when the carnage started, so really do need the help of someone to pass on their tips and knowledge so hopefully Felix we can meet up at some stage.

Will keep you informed of progress.

Pig

I can remember my first (not) fly. Take off. roll over, land, take off. roll over land...

Oh well...

Felix

#25 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

I can remember my first (not) fly. Take off. roll over, land, take off. roll over land...

Yeah, that was me too. Had my SLE out with the verticals on the wrong side (you've got them on the BACK of the kite, right?), in xtra vent winds. Up, arc to the right, crash. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. :wacko: Everyone's been there. I have "stop gap" instructions I wrote up for a friend, for her to use until I could get out to fly with her. I'm sure Felix or someone else will get you sorted out nicely, and nothing's beats face to face help, but PM me an email address if you want the stop gap notes. :)

Just pretend all my statements are prefaced with IIRC, AFAIK, IMHO, and end with "Just my $.02," okay?
(And stop asking for cookies, all you new darkside converts! It was all just a ruse to get you here!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#26 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

Oh well...

Felix

Mine was "Take off. roll over, crash, take off. roll over crash..."

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#27 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Just think back to the day when you first started walking. Follow the same path and don't give up, no matter how many times you fall!

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#28 oapbillf

oapbillf

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

Been there! Done it! Got the Tshirt! Still doing it, damn it! Posted Image

Bill

#29 Pignbroke

Pignbroke
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:58 AM

Hi Katrina, thanks for the notes i shall read thoroughly before my next adventure.

Pig

#30 Pignbroke

Pignbroke
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

Hi all, just to give you a update i have been out today on my 2nd flight and i am pleased to say that after the carnage of last week today was a lot better, felt i had much better control and my crashes were not as severe still a long way to go but i think i have the bug and i think this hobby of mine is going to get more expensive in the near fututre.

My only question i have is i was surprised at how much wind i needed to get it off the ground, is that to do with my set up or is that common with the 1.5 SLE?

Any suggestions most welcome.

Pig

#31 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

Hey Pig,
I'd say its due to your lack of flight time. Your second time out you say? Keep working at it and enjoying yourself. Light wind flying is all technique.
Hmmm... Are you flying with the SLE frame? It is definitely heavy, and while it can be flown in light winds, it requires an extra delicate touch. Because the SLE frame is so stiff, it won't bend easily, the wind will quickly "sheet" off the sail, making presicion difficult. Using a 3 wrap leading edge, or better yet a full Race frame, might serve you better here.

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#32 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

Need a definition of light winds! The race or 2wrap frame works really well in those light winds! Longer handles and light lines too! But keep on working it, the light wind stuff grows as you fly more!! Eventually you'll look forward to those light days!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#33 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

My only question i have is i was surprised at how much wind i needed to get it off the ground, is that to do with my set up or is that common with the 1.5 SLE?
Pig

The SLE leading edge is thick and heavy, but keep using it until you get the really "severe" crashes out of your system. Eventually you'll be able to put it away and probably only use in gale-force winds. You'll often hear experienced flyers say, in jest, that they use them to beat others or to support wind socks.

To make it easier to launch you can grab the top leaders near the handles with your forefingers, effectively shortening the top lines temporarily and giving the kite a more acute angle of attack. Release them once it is airborne.

Another reason it may be more difficult to launch is the difference in wind speed at ground level. The wind speed is, in most cases, slower near the ground than it is 10 feet up. You may have noticed this already, and if so, then wrapping your fingers over the leaders will give you that little extra "up" to launch.

Try desperately not to increase the angle of attack by shortening the top lines. If you do you'll find out the hard way that it is easier to create good habits than to break bad ones.

Be patient, it will happen before you know. Don't give up, don't get frustrated, take frequent breaks, have fun and keep smiling.
Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users