Newb with vented Rev SLE questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ant_B

Ant_B
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:22 AM

Hi everyone from way down south in Tassie :)

I've just bought my first Rev, a vented SLE, and have a few questions about it. I'm mostly a dual line flyer but I've finally had to admit that I just don't enjoy them much above about 12mph so I gave in to my friends advice and got a vented REV

I have to say I'm glad I did, it's a lot of fun in wind that usually just annoy me with my dualies, and i was blown away by the quality of the package B)

Conditions I'll be flying it in:

Gusty 10 to 20 mph, and anything over 15mph. The worse conditions it will generally see are 20mph gusting to 35mph, but more usually its around 17mph to 28mph (i'm converting from knots)

My questions are:
(1) What line strength should I use? I've borrowed a mates 90lb set for the time being, and they seem to be handling it all fine, are they strong enough considering the kite is a full vent and won't be pulling as hard?
(2) What LE do I use in what winds? the rev came with a 3 wrap le as well as the SLE, just curious what winds I should use the 3 wrap up to? I had it out in gusty 10 to 20 knots the other day and it was definitely bending in a way I did not like :lol:, and can I double it up with the sle rod like you can with ones of similar size, and if so when should I start to do that?

(3) Melting the dacron where the rods go into the leading edge: I noticed the dacron is fraying a bit as dacron does, any problems with me melting the daggy bits with a soldering iron?

Thanks in advance,

Ant

#2 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:44 AM

90# line is fine until you get to a steady 18-20 mile per hour breeze (keep it for gusty)
150# line will really impact the kite as the winds increase (lots of drag, if they aren't being pulled tight by the kite, then you don't need 'em)
50# line and SUL weight frame set for working on your precision figures at the bottom end of your wind range (the figures will quickly improve your skills if nobody's around to push you directly)

Use the three wrap skinny leading edge until your get to high teens wind speed, then switch out and try the SLEs. Eventually you'll only use the SLE when it's blowing porta-potties over or the coast guard won't depart the harbor!

Marry up the SLE frame with the thick 150# spectra lines and you can take on high 20s to 30 mph winds.

You can melt the dangly bits too, but honestly almost nobody does. It's like blood on your black belt, you earned that fray thru dedication to the art,
someday that sail fabric will be transparent to the wind unless you don't use it enough!

#3 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

My questions are:
(1) What line strength should I use? I've borrowed a mates 90lb set for the time being, and they seem to be handling it all fine, are they strong enough considering the kite is a full vent and won't be pulling as hard?

Sounds about right to me, if you’ve borrowed a ready made set from a mate, I’m guessing they are around 85-90ft which is a good starting point. However, Rev flying is very much social thing, and most of us tend to use 120ft as standard because it is better suited to team flying, the longer lines give a bigger window so that several people can stand together whilst flying in a shared window.

If there is no rush to return the borrowed line set I would suggest you hang on to them at least until you are a confident with your Rev and have decided how you want to progress. Many on the forum may disagree with me but I recon 85-90ft is a good line length for a beginner, though the kite will move across the window quicker, control will be sharper and feedback, more positive. It is also worth remembering that every foot added to the line length adds two foot to the walk of shame, one foot out and one foot back.

Disclaimer: Please be aware that other line lengths are available.

(2) What LE do I use in what winds? the rev came with a 3 wrap le as well as the SLE, just curious what winds I should use the 3 wrap up to? I had it out in gusty 10 to 20 knots the other day and it was definitely bending in a way I did not like :lol:, and can I double it up with the sle rod like you can with ones of similar size, and if so when should I start to do that?

Most now prefer the thinner leading edge and even the 3 wrap is surprisingly robust. I have both 3 and 4 wrap SLEs in my bag and I forget the last time I flew either of them, but given your options I wouldn’t discard yours just yet. I would favour the thinner LE but use the SLE in stronger wind at least until you acquire a bit more experience.

The SLEs are virtually indestructible and the extra weight will increase inertia and give the kite a completely different feel. Try the various options and decide what you like.

(3) Melting the dacron where the rods go into the leading edge: I noticed the dacron is fraying a bit as dacron does, any problems with me melting the daggy bits with a soldering iron?

You can do but there really is no need, the frayed end get matted and the fraying stops, no problem.

Welcome to the Darkside. :big_starwars:

This is a voyage of discovery. Enjoy the Ride.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#4 Ant_B

Ant_B
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:52 AM

Thanks for the welcome and the high quality answers Bob and Rev Flyer, I appreciate it :)

Team flying is definitely in the back of my mind at some point, there are three or four of us in the Taskite flyers club who all have Revs now so it would be a lot of fun I reckon. Since our revs range from mid vent to full vent to standards, with some b series and some SLE's, I reckon it would be hilarious trying to coordinate them all and with the right wind lol.

But if we enjoy we may even get into buying a standard kit...oh oh...down this path lies bankruptcy and marital disharmony :lol:

#5 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:26 AM

down this path lies bankruptcy and marital disharmony

not if you can drag the misses along & in (before you jump yourself)

#6 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

There's no problem with mixing "B"s and SLEs together if you at least use the same type of sail, ie. full sail or full vent and keep the rod sets about the same! Many impromptu teams have to deal with people having different equipment, otherwise people couldn't fly in groups!! Don't let a mixture of sails keep you from getting together, just try to have as close to the same as possible setups!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#7 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,859 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

There's no problem with mixing "B"s and SLEs together if you at least use the same type of sail, ie. full sail or full vent and keep the rod sets about the same! Many impromptu teams have to deal with people having different equipment, otherwise people couldn't fly in groups!! Don't let a mixture of sails keep you from getting together, just try to have as close to the same as possible setups!!Posted Image

Agreed, I think that at Portsmouth 2008 Mega Team the Decs were flying SLE vented sails. A couple of the fliers may have been flying with those rods as well! <grins>

Felix

#8 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

Agreed with everything already said above, and welcome to the forum. Maybe the dark side won't result in bankruptcy and marriage disharmony - just tell your wife that it could be worse - it could be golf (where you need a set of clubs AND greens fees all the time). We just need a few kites for different conditions . . . no, really only just one more at any given time . . . . plus she now has an easy birthday gift for the next . . . . forever set of birthdays.

One note about the lines. If you are flying regularly in higher winds, the top lines will stretch more than the bottom lines. You can either equalize the lengths, or periodically switch the tops and bottoms on your handles. You'd be surprised at how much they creep after a good day of flying in high winds (even flying vented). If you haven't already, you may want to find the thread(s) about putting leaders on your handles so you can adjust the "brake" setting on your kite for high winds and this will also give you a way to adjust (& somewhat equalize) top & bottom lines that have stretched unequally (until you swap the tops & bottoms). I end up being too lazy to equalize until it's getting out of hand (because it's more fun to be flying than messing with lines) . . . . and the stretching in the top lines gives me some extra brake . . . . purists here will not be amused by this (or maybe they will, we're all pretty nice around here). It is important to try to keep your left and right lines the same length as well, and you may find some difference show up due to favoring your right or left hand when flying.

ike_member.png and 180GO-100.png

#9 Ant_B

Ant_B
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

down this path lies bankruptcy and marital disharmony

not if you can drag the misses along & in (before you jump yourself)

yeah, i've tried to get her into kite flying a few times with no luck yet, but maybe Rev's might be different? I'm only joking really, she's really good at letting me indulge my OCKAD (obsessive compulsive Kite Acquisition Disorder) :lol:

Good to know about mixing and matching different Revs for team flying too, I know at least one of the guys coming to the club fly on Sunday has a vented rev of some description so i'll have to remind him to bring it :)

I've only flown my Rev about a dozen time but I've flown quadline power kites for years so I might be able to do some basic moves with him

Thanks for the hints on line stretch too, i'll keep an eye on it and will find the thread on putting leaders on my handles :)

#10 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

Here's one thread that has pics -

http://www.revkites....dpost__p__73482

Should be able to see what is being talked about!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users