#1 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:00 PM

Hi Guys,
It probably has already been a topic but what is the advantage of 15inch handles over 13inch onesB)
David M.....Just a (slightly ) over aged guy playing with kites......and LOVIN' it

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hi Guys,
It probably has already been a topic but what is the advantage of 15inch handles over 13inch onesB)

The advantage of 15 inch handles can also be seen as a disadvantage. Using longer handles gives you more sensitive control. Using 13" handles, at most, you can create a difference of 13 inches between the top and bottom lines at any given time. With 15" handles, this is increased to 15 inches. So, with the same physical input, you will have 2 more inches of difference. Some prefer 15" handles, but I for one am partial to the 13" handles, and I would say that there is nothing you can do with 15" handles that you cannot do with 13" handles. It all comes down to personal preference.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

The advantage of 15 inch handles can also be seen as a disadvantage. Using longer handles gives you more sensitive control. Using 13" handles, at most, you can create a difference of 13 inches between the top and bottom lines at any given time. With 15" handles, this is increased to 15 inches. So, with the same physical input, you will have 2 more inches of difference. Some prefer 15" handles, but I for one am partial to the 13" handles, and I would say that there is nothing you can do with 15" handles that you cannot do with 13" handles. It all comes down to personal preference.

Alternatively, the faster a kite is the smaller the handles are. For example SLE SUL and Zen with 15's, 1.5's with 13's, B2's and Rev 2's with 11's.

Like Watty said, that could be a You Tube channel!, the bigger the handle the more pronounced your inputs. Kind of like being a newbie again.

But this all boils done to personal preferences.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#4 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:27 PM

I use both - 15" for light wind, 13" for regular and team flying!! I find the extra length helps me get the kite airborne in light winds! Once the wind picks up, out come the 13"s!! If you are using them around others - give people fair warning, a not so gentle thump on the hip, hurts!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users