10 replies to this topic

#1 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 10:49 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed a big difference in the way the 2007 kites fly as opposed to the older ones?

Reason I ask is I've had my handles set up for a few years now with 8" pigtails and Beads (for adjustment) instead of knots. When I got my new Vented 1.5 last week upon initial flight it seemed to have no brake even with the top lines all the way out (which until now has always been TOO MUCH brake).

I pulled out 6 1.5's reg and vented tried all of them and they flew great then I compaired the old beside the new the attach points came out to the same distance on the top, but what I did notice is the configuration was set back about 4" where the verticals tie into the horizontal and also the bottom of the vertical seemed to be about 2.5" away from the kite compared to the older ones.

The simple fix was make longer top pigtails, but has anyone who has flown older and newer noticed this or could this be a fluke incident?

Has Rev modified their bridle? Has anyone noticed? Have I just become at one with my previous kites that I can't adjust to slight change?

Stay Tuned and find out. (don't do it Fraser) :blink: lol
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#2 Fraser

Fraser

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:26 AM

Don't do what - 'stay tuned' or 'find out'? :huh:

#3 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 02:33 AM

i have the same kite you do and the bridle looks the same as my older ones i have had my vented out a few times and it flies the same mabie you should check your adjustments to see if the knots on the bridle are all in the right spot also make sure your bridle is not twisted up anywhere by the tie points i sometimes do this and the kite wont fly right if it is twisted
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:06 AM

I'm wondering if anyone has noticed a big difference in the way the 2007 kites fly as opposed to the older ones?

Reason I ask is I've had my handles set up for a few years now with 8" pigtails and Beads (for adjustment) instead of knots. When I got my new Vented 1.5 last week upon initial flight it seemed to have no brake even with the top lines all the way out (which until now has always been TOO MUCH brake).

I pulled out 6 1.5's reg and vented tried all of them and they flew great then I compaired the old beside the new the attach points came out to the same distance on the top, but what I did notice is the configuration was set back about 4" where the verticals tie into the horizontal and also the bottom of the vertical seemed to be about 2.5" away from the kite compared to the older ones.

The simple fix was make longer top pigtails, but has anyone who has flown older and newer noticed this or could this be a fluke incident?

Has Rev modified their bridle? Has anyone noticed? Have I just become at one with my previous kites that I can't adjust to slight change?

Measure the bridle of the new REV against and older REV that you know is flying the way you want.
Eleven years ago, I did have a new REV where the one of the two side parts of the bridle was installed in reverse. It is the only time I ever heard of this happening.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#5 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:47 AM

Measure the bridle of the new REV against and older REV that you know is flying the way you want.
Eleven years ago, I did have a new REV where the one of the two side parts of the bridle was installed in reverse. It is the only time I ever heard of this happening.

When I did lay the old one on top of the new to compare the whole new bridle was away from the skin more than the older ones, while the attachment points on the top were at the same distance the rest of the configuration was not.

Also as I mentioned the bottom attachment point was 2.5" further out from the sail, which is why I made the longer pigtails on the handles and that made it fly to what I was used to.

All in all it is different from all the previous kites I have, just didn't know if they were doing something new.

When it gets back from Rev I'll take some digital pic's of the comparison. (needed to have screen alterations) :(
Jim,

Posted Image

#6 ilh

ilh

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:31 AM

I just received a custom 1.5 SUL with the normal (non-spectra) bridle last week direct from Rev. The bridle doesn't seem any different from the two 1.5s I got last year, other than it being white rather than black and red.

I wonder if they just screwed up the bridle on your kite, or used a Rev 1 bridle, or something like that.

--Lee

#7 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:25 AM

I wonder if they just screwed up the bridle on your kite, or used a Rev 1 bridle, or something like that.

--Lee

I'm thinking you may be right, I had to send it in for screen repair and if i get a new one back instead of that one repaired I'll see then if it's just a random incident, talk about bad omen comes with a tear in the screen and a bad bridle, lol someone had an off day.
Jim,

Posted Image

#8 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

fort flyer do take some pics of it so i can see the diffrence as i looked again and both of mine are the same
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#9 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:19 PM

fort flyer do take some pics of it so i can see the diffrence as i looked again and both of mine are the same

If I get the same kite back from Rev I will, I'm starting to think it's an isolated incident now.
Jim,

Posted Image

#10 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:30 PM

After reading this post, and my own experience with the last 2 bridles being tied either wrong (SLE) or one side not at all (SUL), I think someone needs to have a motivation session with the person putting the bridles on

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#11 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 01:34 PM

After reading this post, and my own experience with the last 2 bridles being tied either wrong (SLE) or one side not at all (SUL), I think someone needs to have a motivation session with the person putting the bridles on

OK this makes me think "good i'm not crazy" or have been in the sun to long.
Jim,

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users