how critical are bridle dimensions

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rexracer

rexracer
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for, so here goes. My kite seems to rotate left a little even though I measured and matched my lines. Tonight I measured the bridle knot to knot on both sides. It's not perfect left to right, but mostly even within 3mm. The bottom spar to the base of the pigtail on the left is 2mm shorter than the right, but the pigtail itself is 8mm shorter for a total of 10mm. Should I just shorten the right pigtail by 10mm to compensate? Is there anywhere where I can get info on bridle measurements and the effects of changes?

Since I have std 1.5 handles and no bridle line for leaders I'm thinking of shortening the bottom pigtails by an inch or 2 to get more brake. Any problems with doing this?

#2 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for, so here goes. My kite seems to rotate left a little even though I measured and matched my lines. Tonight I measured the bridle knot to knot on both sides. It's not perfect left to right, but mostly even within 3mm. The bottom spar to the base of the pigtail on the left is 2mm shorter than the right, but the pigtail itself is 8mm shorter for a total of 10mm. Should I just shorten the right pigtail by 10mm to compensate? Is there anywhere where I can get info on bridle measurements and the effects of changes?

Since I have std 1.5 handles and no bridle line for leaders I'm thinking of shortening the bottom pigtails by an inch or 2 to get more brake. Any problems with doing this?

I would flip the leader around the top of the right handle to see if you can get it to track straight.

#3 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

Is this a new kite? Where did you purchase it from? if it is new, contact the dealer and they should be able to send you a new bridle. It would be exceptionally rare that the bridle was tied wrong.

#4 oapbillf

oapbillf

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

Hi Rexracer,

The attached pdf shows the lengths of 1.5 bridle that I have measured and averaged out from three sets, one EXP, one B series vented and one new Rev spare!

I measure starting from the center and attempt to get the left and right sides to match as near as possible!

All dimensions are in centimeters but this here is a link to handy converter that I frequently use! http://www.digitaldu.../unitconverter/

Bill

Attached Files

#5 Tim

Tim
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:07 AM

I might be pointing out the obvious, but it's more likely that your lineset has stretched a fraction than the bridle is off. I'd check that first.

Edit: Duh, you said you checked the lines. Sorry.

#6 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

You said that you've equalized your lines, but have you equalized your hands?? Posted Image Almost all of us tend to use one hand more than the other, and that could be why the kite drifts left!! Make sure you're pulling or pushing with an equal amount of movement from both hands!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#7 TerryB

TerryB

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

Hi,
I read a great tip on this forum which I have used with great success.
Credit to poster.
If you have a smooth wind shake the kite out I.e. fly a bit, then hold both handles together and launch.
This lets you see which way the kite naturally goes as SS says equalise the hands!
Hope this helps it did for me.
Take Care
Terry

#8 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

Also check your bridle points from the caps to make sure they come off exactly the same from the kite!! 1 mistaken bridle wrap can cause the same effect and you think everything is A-OK!! Just setup and take a second to check that everything is equally pulling from the same reference point!! Posted Image Doesn't seem to matter if they're inside or out, just as long as they're the same!! After a bit, it becomes part of your regular set up procedure!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#9 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

One thing overlooked by most people is the sail tension created by the bungee cords. If it is unequal left to right or top to bottom it will cause the kite to turn left or right (drift) when you intend to go straight.

Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#10 rexracer

rexracer
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:45 PM

First, all my measurements were taken from the cap holes with the larkshead pulled tight and bridle lines pulled tight. These kites are "mass produced" and I would expect small differences, plus the knots tighten and even if it was perfect when tied, it might vary after flying a few times. When pulled tight the distance from the bottom end cap to the flying knot on the pigtail is 10mm longer on the right than the left. The rest vary, but not by more than 3mm. For instance, when the upper pigtail is pulled tight to the leading edge attachment point (vertical rod), the left is 3mm longer, of which 2 mm is in the pigtail itself. Left and right tips are even, so there's only the 2mm pigtail difference there.

Bungies are another issue. I haven't touched them yet. This kite (SLE) is new and only has about 5 hours on it. The bungies at all 6 points are tensioned, but barely. I'd say if you shortened the rods by 5mm at each end point, they would be slack. Should they be tighter?

#11 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

First, all my measurements were taken from the cap holes with the larkshead pulled tight and bridle lines pulled tight. These kites are "mass produced" and I would expect small differences, plus the knots tighten and even if it was perfect when tied, it might vary after flying a few times. When pulled tight the distance from the bottom end cap to the flying knot on the pigtail is 10mm longer on the right than the left. The rest vary, but not by more than 3mm. For instance, when the upper pigtail is pulled tight to the leading edge attachment point (vertical rod), the left is 3mm longer, of which 2 mm is in the pigtail itself. Left and right tips are even, so there's only the 2mm pigtail difference there.

Bungies are another issue. I haven't touched them yet. This kite (SLE) is new and only has about 5 hours on it. The bungies at all 6 points are tensioned, but barely. I'd say if you shortened the rods by 5mm at each end point, they would be slack. Should they be tighter?

The one with the 10mm difference is almost definitely the culprit. Bring to within the same average range as the others and you should be ok. The longer one can be shotened by tying simple overhand knots in the line until you reach the desired length, or close to it.

The rest is in your hands.
Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#12 rexracer

rexracer
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:29 PM

I just got a new vented B (night!) and decided to pull off the bridle and match it up left to right. I worked in from the ends. Hooked them on a peg and streched. I loosened and slid a couple of knots and now it's perfect within 1-2mm everywhere. Now I know how the bridle is put together, and how to adjust it. I'd love to know what the effects are of changing the different perameters. I'll be "blueprinting" my SLE bridle next.
On another note, I'll be making some new line sets this weekend, and I have some Shanti sleeving from AWOC and was wondering if it would work well for leaders for my handles. I won't even try it if it's to strechy or weak.

#13 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

Nope, that sleeving should be more than strong enough to make leaders out of!! Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

#14 rexracer

rexracer
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:17 AM

Nope, that sleeving should be more than strong enough to make leaders out of!! Posted Image

Excellent! Time to make a jig and get to work on linesets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users