5 replies to this topic

#1 TerryB

TerryB

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

Ok I am a try a little and test type of guy.

Have been running my std sail 1.5 and vented on stock lines 82 ft and stock handles.
Think I have the basics under control.

As I said I like to take a step at a time.
Changing frames between two and three wrap as needed and the purchase of a rce frame has taught me a lot.

Have now got the hang of the fitting of adjustable leaders moving these to give me a lot of brake etc.

Use of the full sail and the vented as I find the conditions change.

My last change was to make some 15 inch handles, used std handles and fitted extensions to the bottom, and replacement tops, in aluminium with drilled through no snag ends.
This has been a great change for me, more control, greater precision.

Now I have some options, I have 120 ft lines in my bag, this could be my next move.

Or I have been told of making up composite frames with the centre rod and or the upright of differing mixes in race and three wrap.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Take Care
Terry

#2 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

If you are having fun then you are doing everything right! :)

Go ahead and play around with the different settings/combinations just don't forget to sit back and enjoy the winds from time to time.

As I tell everyone, if you are enjoying your flying time, your doing it the right way.

#3 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

Welcom.

Like Kent said, try it all out. Then report back your experiences. I have only been flying quads, anything for that matter, for a bit over 2 months and what I've found helpful is a flying log. I record conditions, set up and any changes I make and my experience of the flight. I just make short notes and I find it helps me better understand what works for me. Also, on those off days at work I can relive a flight and plan the next one.

Rob

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#4 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:36 AM

Hi Terry,
You should also test out a set of magic sticks or a different bridle configuration, you could probably arrange for both bridles to be on the same kite, but ideally you'd have two identical kites for direct comparisons with only ONE variable between them.

You only need a few basic components to DIY (or you can do it thru Visa Card & airmail from Flying Smiles Kites). Someplace on this web-site are a few PDF diagrams if you do want to do it yourself. I get that a lot in our local kite club. It's a club of full of experimenters, builders and flyers, so if you ever get towards the USA, specifically Washington DC area, please let us know and we'll arrange for a gang to join you. Not much is more fun than testing everyone's different set-ups as we switch kites along the line. WE'll fly some team, so get busy on those 120's too.

After you fiddle around for awhile experimenting you may have a greater appreciation for how sweet Rev products are right out of the carton!
Enjoy and keep us informed
-plm

#5 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

Or I have been told of making up composite frames with the centre rod and or the upright of differing mixes in race and three wrap.

My preference lately has been for a 3 wrap LE with rr verticals. Alternatively, 4s across the LE, with 3 verts. I tried 4s with rr verts once, just kind of forgot I had 4s in there instead of 3s, and that worked well too. When you have that extra weight in the LE, it's a little harder to loft the kite, but you also have more momentum to carry the kite through the turns. It's just a different feel.

Caution: the verticals are the most prone to breakage in high wind. So if you fly with lighter verts, the conditions should be such that you could also fly with a full frame of the lighter rods and be fine. ie, if others are flying on a full set of 3s, it's not the time to put in rr verts. Go up in weight on the LE from what you'd normally put in.

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#6 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:15 AM

I think you'll find those home made 15" handles to be too much in higher winds!! I use both 15" and 13", but the longer 15" are mostly for lighter winds, and I use 13" if the wind gets up!! Just IMHO!! You'll also find that most use 13" in team formations!

Haven't played with hybrid frames a lot, but understand the reasoning for them!!

Get some time on those 120's, they're half again as long as 80's and they have a different response time!!

Have fun playing around with things, one of the joys of Revs, you can mix and match to your hearts content!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users