Homemade Handles

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bradford

Bradford
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

So, I ordered my first REV; a B-series pro mid vent that doesn't come with handles. Rather than spend $60 on the pro version that look to be pretty much solid aluminum bar that are finished on the ends with a hole drilled through, I figured I would try my hand at making my own. I bought some 3/8" aluminum and cut it off at 15", filed and sanded down the ends to smooth them out and now all I need to do is use my tubing benders to get the right angle/radius.

Can anyone tell me what the angle/radius should be and where it should start from the top? Does it even matter since I haven't spent more than an hour flying a rev? If I guess the angle and get it wrong, the only time I will know it's wrong is if I use someone else's handles or buy new ones, right?

Any advice would be appreciated!

It should go without saying that I can hardly contain my excitement and can't wait till I can fly my rev.

Rev Handles.JPG

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:01 AM

Welcome to the forum.

The standard factory handles use 3/8" stainless tube, not aluminum. The stainless does not bend like the more common aluminum you normally find in the places like Home Depot.

There are some special handles made by Walt Ellis that are made from a special aluminum that does not bend as easily the soft stuff. They are sold by Revolution and some dealers.

The angle, I really don't know. I personally take off about 1/3 of the angle on the standard handles when I get knew ones. I personally prefer them a bit flatter.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 Bradford

Bradford
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:09 AM

Will the Rev pull hard enough to warp 3/8" solid aluminum rod?

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

It all depends on the grade of the aluminum and what REV/REVs are on the other end in conjunction with the wind strength. I doubt there is anyone here that has measured and recorded any details.

I do know a train of several REV I's can bend the stainless original rods. Revolution has made special carbon wrapped stainless handles for that purpose.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#5 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

I've made a custom set, bought several more over the years too. But if you're going to all that trouble, your efforts should be superior to what you can buy commercially, not done in an effort to save a buck or two.

First off, I'm from the land of no wind. Many of my fellow local pilots (and myself included!) prefer a handle much longer than people on the coast-line would ever consider "normal". When I wanted a custom set for my needs I arranged for 3/8 inch diameter titanium tubes, about 19 inches long. I bent them with a pipe bender, but almost all of the bending angle is very high on the grip, towards the top.

Lots of the time you'll see two bend angles with your hand (grasping position) in between these bends. For my style, I prefer all the angle up high and gradually straightening out as it gets towards the bottom attachment point. The french guys (Crazy Drivers) use handles that I would consider inverted,.... all the bendy part in on their bottom part of the handle!

There's no one correct answer, you may want it completely different and that's the cool part about quad-lined kites, Revs in particular. You decide what is correct for you, nobody else's opinion really matters.

My titanium handles are lighter in weight with a set of 120s wound-around them than the stock pro handles without any lines at all! Of course you don't need anything like these to enjoy a afternoon of flying fun. My Ti handles have been run over by a police squad car on the mall grounds without any damage, so that light weight doesn't equate to a weakness in strength. Long throws with little mass means you can have a profound impact on the kite end with the tiniest thumb flick from the pilot's end, so older folks, like me!,.... can still flail with the youngsters.

Attached Thumbnails

• Ti-handles.jpg

#6 Bradford

Bradford
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

It may have started out as a project inspired by cost, but it turned into a pride thing when I started them last night.

#7 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

The bend has about a 6" radius starting about 3" from the top and encompassing an angle of about 30. On a set of Pro Handles, I bend them using a specially constructed bending jig that lets me bend many handles identically.

100_1612.jpg

May have a new product soon.....
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#8 Bradford

Bradford
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

Has anyone had any luck with anodizing? I am going to try to anodize the handles this weekend.

#9 Khal

Khal

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

Has anyone had any luck with anodizing? I am going to try to anodize the handles this weekend.

You might want to check out this topic.
Brian

Posted Image Posted Image

#10 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

May have a new product soon.....

Tease!

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#11 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Baz here in the UK who makes handles preps them then has them professionally anodises in a variety of colours. He then sells them with a choice of grips he leaves people to fit there own grips, as you have already found many people have strong preferences on grip size and positioning. I have a purple set with the thicker grips set quite high and I love them.

If you are thinking about DIY anodising I am told preparation is important as the process amplifies any blemish.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#12 Bradford

Bradford
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

I do appreciate all the responses. Once I finish them I will post a pic.

#13 Bradford

Bradford
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:20 AM

Finished!

I know I have the leaders on backwards. Thanks for all the help!

Attached Thumbnails

• Rev Handles(Complete).JPG

#14 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

Not only backwards, but you should consider making the top leaders - much longer!!! Like equal to the gap from top to bottom attachment points!! Start your 1st knot out about 3-4" from the handle and work out from there! Distance between knots can vary from set to set, just be sure to make the left/right combo the same, in each set!! I just checked 1 set I've made, they're 10" overall, 1st knot at 4", 3/4" between knots! These are for a set of 13" handles!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#15 Bradford

Bradford
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

So how does adjusting the line on the leader change flying? I would guess that letting the line out on top would slow the kite down a bit, but why couldn't you just adjust the way you hold the handles? Is it so that you can change based on wind conditions and leave your arms/hands in a neutral posture?

#16 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

You're on the right track there!! Hand position can be the one constant in the way you fly!! Adjusting line length, lets you handle the different wind conditions and still keep the same overall feeling and hand position on the handles!! If you only had one setting, the kite would go from easy to launch to outta control as the winds get stronger!! I find myself even changing during a flying session, many times!! All based on what the winds are doing at any given time and what I'm trying at that moment!! Even find myself changing settings when solo or team flying!!
Plus keeping your grip exactly the same as you change, would be difficult to maintain!! Much easier to adjust the lines, IMHO!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#17 Bradford

Bradford
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

Good to know. I'll make some longer leaders tonight and fly. I've been itching to fly my new B series Pro anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users