Max wind for 1.5 SLE

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rexracer

rexracer
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hi all. I'm expecting my new 1.5 SLE on Friday and hope to fly Saturday. I'm wondering about max wind speed, and what happens if it's exceeded. What goes first if the wind is near max? Will the sail rip? Will the spar break? Are there warning signs that you're pushing the limit? I don't want to mess up my new kite.

I tend to get variable winds where I fly. I have a 2 line delta that I fly in high winds, and it can make noise due to flutter when the winds go up, but flexes enough so that I don't think it would ever break, though I might shred the sail. I'm sure I've flown it way past it's rated max. I think it was rated 25 mph and I'd bet I've flown it in 35mph+ winds.

I'm not really concerned with too much pull, or handling difficulties...I know my abilities pretty well, and will stay in my limits. I just don't want to cause damage from too much wind. I've never had a kite that I really had to worry about damaging from high winds. The delta has proven to be very tough, and my other kite, a Flexifoil Bullet 2.5, won't fly below about 8mph, is a blast (and a workout) at 15 mph, and is more likely to damage me than the reverse at 25mph.
Any info on what to look out for will be much appreciated!

#2 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

A full sail is good for about 20mph, higher in a expierienced fliers hands. The first signs that it is too much wind is the leading edge is bent to about a quarter circle. The first spars that typicly let go are the verticals, and often they will go through the sail in the process. (it happened to me) Gusty wind is the most dangerous, it can suddenly load the sail and the spars beyond thier capabilities. My advice is to not fly when the wind is blowing hard unless you have sails that can handle it. (read, Vented Sail) Flying outside the designed parameters will only lead to broken parts, and not much fun.
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#3 B-13

B-13

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

First off, Welcome to the forum and to 4 strings kiting lol

I have flown my 1.5SLE with the 3wraps rods in +15mph winds and the LE bending was enough for me to frighten me and pack up :)
If you ordered with both LEs, perhaps switching for the SLE 7/16" will give you some fun in higher winds but this will make the kite more rapid and twitchy which is not what you would like for learning.

The kite is not worth this abuse if winds are too high, unless you get a Vented as LS Kite Stakes said, better you keep your kite in the bag for these sweeter winds where the learning curve will be less steep and the fun to it's maxxx ;)

Also, the 1.5sle has a Ripstop nylon sail that will stretch more than poly ones and higher winds will make this process even more rapid.
Others might shed some brighter lights on your questions than me but from what i learnt (I started with a Supersonic) twitchy and rapid is not the best thing when learning..The 1.5sle with the 3wraps rods and nice 8-10mph winds will keep you more on the field with less frustration for hours..

Have fun and again, Welcome to the Dark Side

#4 rexracer

rexracer
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:53 AM

Thanks. That's just what I was looking for. I'll just keep an eye on the leading edge. Gusty and variable winds will be my biggest problem. Last time I flew, I put up the Bullet and was having fun with brisk winds when all of a sudden the wind speed picked up by about 10mph. I fly with a bar, and the kite shot to the top of the window and had me off of the ground for a sec before I could pull it to the side and get control. I had to grab tha brake line to colapse it and pack up.

I'm hoping to take to the Rev quickly. First day I'll probably just practice getting a feel for rotations, hovering and sliding. Thanks again for the info.

#5 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:24 AM

From my own experience; a gust pushed the sail of my poor EXP into the centre cup hard enough that it came around the vertical spars! It was only for a second thankfully. My leading edge, a 3 wrap at the time, wasn't bending excessively either. There was no stretching of the sail or shock codes, no little tears in the stitching BUT no more flying that day either.

If you get a big gust, give to the kite and walk with it.

Welcome to Revs, they're the best addiction!

Rob.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#6 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

I noticed that you said an SLE, have you added extended top leaders to your handles? There is a good pic and discussion of this subject in Modifications!! Adding more brake and lessening the forward drive will give you more control over how the kite reacts to those gusts!! Just about all of us use them to adjust (as the wind dictates) our forward drive!! You're on the right track with watching your LE for flex, too much and you'll want to put it away before something breaks!! That's why most of us have several different configurations of sail ( std, mid, f/v), it's a match kite to wind thing!!
SparkleRob has a good point - if you get in the position of imminent crash - Give to the Kite!! No sense breaking stuff while you're learning!! Forget most of the dualie control, quads are a whole different animal!! You'll learn to use your hands and wrists for control, not the push/pull of dualies!!

Posted Image to "The Darkside"!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#7 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:15 PM

I've been flying most of the day, my wind was peeked out at 18mph, for the most part it was in the 11mph +/- 5mph range and I flew the 1.5 vent with 4wrap leading edge and green race bottoms. It flew like I like it, nice n easy---slowly, and a nice workout.

#8 rexracer

rexracer
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

My 1.5 SLE just arrived! I resisted and didn't take it out of the bag since I'm at work. I'll be stopping at the field I usually fly at on the way home to try it out. Been thinking about control inputs since I ordered it Wednesday. This will be a first for me, but I hope to get a good feel quickly so I can start playing. I'll practice the basics and let you all know how it went. The wind looks to be on the strong side for this kite, but should be calming as it gets later. I just hope it's not gusty. Last reading I saw was 12mph but still getting gusts to 18-20.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users