Hi all, new to this stuff but it's fun!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bccarlso

bccarlso
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

Hi all, I'm Ben. Seems like there are quite a few kiters in the Tacoma area; I'm one of the newer ones. While I will probably decline calling it Kite Henge :P, my wife and I frequent Chambers for picnics and walks, and I like to zip around on my longboard quite a bit. But now I've got a Rev that I'm hoping to use often while we're down there.

I flew a two-string delta kite since I was in like 7th grade. The thing held up until just a few years ago (I'm 27 now), and I had seen some Rev kites and know I needed one at some point.

I ended up getting a custom 1.5 from Dave at Kite Connection, and have already managed to snap a vertical spar mid flight! Ouch. That's an achievement, right? I suppose there is a learning curve for every hobby, and that day I learned not to trust the weather wind readings! Oh well, a replacement is on its way. Maybe I should have gone with 3-wrap spars…

Anyway, if you see me and my wife down there, feel free to say hi, we are quite friendly. =) I can't post images yet it seems, but this is me and my wife Kristen down by the water at Chambers: http://imgur.com/8ELJd (edit: looks like the forum pulled my Gravatar, so that's me too a few years ago… should update that heh)

#2 makatakam

makatakam

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

Hi, Ben and welcome to the Darkside. Post a photo of your new rev for us to admire.

Depending on the model you purchased and the frame, you'll be limited to a certain wind range. You can modify the kite to fly in lower and higher speed winds, but I don't recommend it unless you are very "handy" with tools and until you have a very good understanding of the flight characteristics of a Revolution kite, and what the effects of any changes you make will have on them. Until then, purchasing an additional sail to handle the wind in your area is the way to go.

There are quite a few rev flyers in your neck of the woods, some of them much better than "average" as you'll eventually learn. Make the effort to get together with them as soon and as often as possible and they'll quickly turn your learning curve into a straight line. Pick their brains and you'll be way ahead of your fellow "newbies".

It's impossible to not get hooked on quad-line kites, so just relax and enjoy. Don't fly alone, take your wife with you. She will soon be addicted too.

Good luck and welcome.
Mark

Posted Image

"...it's a fair wind blowin' warm, out of the south over my shoulder, guess I'll set a course and go."
CSN&Y

#3 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

Hi Ben, or should I say, neighbor!

The Henge is my home field, as well as a few other notables like Bazzer, Mike Tracey, and others. "We" will be at Rockaway Beach Oregon for the festival there this weekend, if you can make the ~4 hour drive down, come join us! iQuad and Island Quad will be there, as well as a BUNCH of other fliers! We will help out with your learning curve, and you can ask any and all questions. If you cannot make it down, I am sure we will meet at Chambers Creek sometime. There are quite a few festivals in the PNW to go to, WSIKF is the big one and it should not be missed.

Welcome to the obsession, Welcome To The Darkside!

:sign_kitelife:
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#4 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

Hi Ben and :sign_welcome: Nice to see you,(and your wife).
Michael
"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#5 bccarlso

bccarlso
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

Thanks guys. I got my spar in yesterday so I'm hoping to get out to fly this weekend. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it down to Rockway Beach this weekend but it does sound amazing. I'll most likely be at the June 28 fly at Chambers though. I've met a few guys down there so far: Mike, Bob, Steven, Ken and his son, likely some of the same people you're referring to.

#6 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

Welcome to the "Family"...... Ben Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 bccarlso

bccarlso
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

Welcome to the "Family"...... Ben Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The other Ben! Thanks for the welcome. =)

#8 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

The other Ben! Thanks for the welcome. =)

Is this the Ben I spoke to yesterday....... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 bccarlso

bccarlso
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

Is this the Ben I spoke to yesterday....... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Nope, that wasn't me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users