Trying to see if stretching has occured

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hightray

Hightray
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

I have flow my 1.5SLE for a while now and am wondering if it is just that I do not know what to look for or if some stretching has occurred with the shock cord. On the bottom tips in particular. I have attached a couple photos (one of each bottom point) Is this normal? Over-reacting? Need to adjust knots? If so, is there a proper procedure?

RevPoint1.jpg

RevPoint2.jpg

#2 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:03 AM

I think you'll be just fine and tighten only if it really bothers you, me I like a bit looser
sail to cup the wind better..... BenPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Tim

Tim
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:06 AM

As my two B1.5s broke in over the last year and a half, I noticed small wrinkles in the sail, perpendicular to the vertical rods, near the wingtips. It seemed as though something had stretched to make the sail a bit loose. I recently tightened the wingtip bungees very slightly, hoping to take the wrinkles out without overstressing the sail.

I'm not a pro with Revs, but if you see that stretching and those wrinkles, it might be a clue that something is a bit loose.

#4 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

Just remember not to do all the tightening at the bottom only - it'll make the tops of the vertical rods stick out at the LE!! If you need to adjust, balance the tightening at both ends!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#5 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:55 AM

I have flow my 1.5SLE for a while now and am wondering if it is just that I do not know what to look for or if some stretching has occurred with the shock cord. On the bottom tips in particular. I have attached a couple photos (one of each bottom point) Is this normal? Over-reacting? Need to adjust knots? If so, is there a proper procedure?

RevPoint1.jpg

RevPoint2.jpg

All sails to stretch over time, and will need to be tightened. Even every new factory rev should have the bottom bungees tightened by about half an inch. When the sail is too loose, the kite will not hold as much power. The tell-tale sign that the bottom bungees need to be tightened is that the bottom end caps will stick out from the trailing edge to form a point. You want the end caps to be within an inch of where the sail ends. This is a quick fix by simply tying a new knot on the bungee, and cutting off the excess. Remember to take a lighter to the cut off edges of bungee so it won't fray.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

No big deal at the moment, you can take measurements now on the fabric and to the points from the fabric, but that's about all you can do for now, it start a baseline for stretch. Everybody over reacts to something, mights well be your rev.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users