24 replies to this topic

#1 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

I'm not the biggest fan of 50# line - ok so I downright don't like it, concerning Rev flying anyways. However, I have a 75 ft. 50# line set that is just sitting around, gathering dust, and I'm looking to re-purpose it. I have the Indoor Rev, the Zen, and a full suite of Bs, along with a small glider and a dualie trick kite.

What do you think would be the best way to divide up a 50# 75 ft. line set? Ex. make it into a 50 ft. and a 25 ft? A 40 ft. and a 35 ft? A 25 ft. a 30 ft. and a 20 ft??? Please chime in with the lengths you would make and why.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

I'm not the biggest fan of 50# line - ok so I downright don't like it, concerning Rev flying anyways. However, I have a 75 ft. 50# line set that is just sitting around, gathering dust, and I'm looking to re-purpose it. I have the Indoor Rev, the Zen, and a full suite of Bs, along with a small glider and a dualie trick kite.

What do you think would be the best way to divide up a 50# 75 ft. line set? Ex. make it into a 50 ft. and a 25 ft? A 40 ft. and a 35 ft? A 25 ft. a 30 ft. and a 20 ft??? Please chime in with the lengths you would make and why.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Are you looking to fly indoors at all? If so, you may want to go with some real shorties like 10 or 12' as an option. Outdoors, my favorite short line set is 30'. Also, remember that some of that line will be consumed by tying new loops, so don't expect to have the length of your new line-sets to add up to 75'.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:03 AM

I know that many don't use 50# for much, but I use my 50#x50' set a lot in the summer!! You can use the left over to make some indoor sets (nothing wrong with having some extra around)!! IMHO !Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#4 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

Watty is right about the yield on reusing lines. I just cut up a couple 120 foot lines to yield a "40" foot set (yielding about 38.5 feet) and another "20" foot set (yielding about 18.5 feet) out of the two lines after equalizing the lines & sleeving. The other two 120s out of the quad set are now reused as a dual line set . . . for when I put my KP-10 auction purchase up into the air (if I can even remember how to fly dual line).

I've been going shorter lately - most of my flying has been on 75 foot lines, and now I'm going to be out on the "40s" and "20s." I really like how fast it is to set up & take down at shorter lengths . . . plus catch & throw are much easier with 20s than 75 or 120s :)

If you were going to go really short (as Watty suggests), maybe you could get 40+10+20 out of the 75 feet (losing five feet to small loops) or 40+12+16 or something like that with larger loops. That would give you a couple indoor options at the shorter end, and a light wind shortline set for the outdoors.

ike_member.png and 180GO-100.png

#5 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

@ Watty - Yeah, I'll be looking to fly indoors pretty soon. Lol I was joking with SS about how different our climates are. While I'll be looking to head indoors for summer, to dodge the heat, in your part of the country summer is for being outdoors.

@ SS - I don't like the longer lengths of 50#, but thanks for the suggestion!! It would have worked perfectly - I need a 20 ft. set in my lineup maybe probably.

@ goestoeleven - I've been on the shorties for awhile now! This whole last week has been windy - finally got in some decent time on the 120's.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Thanks for the reminder on yield after making the loops Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Have Rev, Will Travel

#6 Scott_of_melnsct

Scott_of_melnsct

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

I would go 40 and 20 for outdoor, and whatever's left for indoor (maybe a 12' set when all is said and done). Personally, I like 90lb LPG for indoor because the weight helps the line fall away from potential tangles and snags, but since you already have it, you might as well use it.
Scott A Koenig
Founding member: Tennessee Wind Militia
"We muster to fly at a moment's notice"

#7 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:22 AM

I feel the same way S_o_m.
I prefer 90# line on my indoor as well, my dedicated indoor line set is 12 ft. 90#. Since I have the 50# laying around though.... I appreciate the suggestions!

Have Rev, Will Travel

#8 Hightray

Hightray
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:58 PM

This is the perfect topic for me and I am glad that I found it on the site. I am in a slightly different situation. I have a 75', 85' and 100' line at my disposal. I wanted to make two sets of lines from one of these existing sets. I wanted to have two short sets so my son and I could fly together. I see talk about 40' lines, would I be correct in assuming this is the best all around length? We wanted to have lines short enough to fly in the backyard as of now, we need to go to a park, etc.

#9 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:55 AM

Best all around length? Whatever you like!! Mine is 50', some like shorter yet! I'd think about splitting the 100' set into 2- 50' sets and see if you like that length first! Then if you do, try shorter! It's all open to experiment!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#10 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

1.5 on 75x50# ROCKS!!!!!
Floaty Floaty..............

Try it................

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#11 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

I get requests for a LOT of LPG 90# x 50' Quad!!

#12 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

well...and LPG 90# x 30' Q too!

#13 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

I'm a 90# guy myself and my 30 and 50 foot sets get a LOT of use.

#14 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

I'm a 90# guy myself and my 30 and 50 foot sets get a LOT of use.

:)

#15 Cath Shook

Cath Shook

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

For those of you who don't like the 50# lines, try the Skybond 50# - every flier who's ever tried it (for the East Coast wind lull) LOVES this line! And they didn't like much else.

Works great for indoor as well!

Cath
cath@flyingsmileskites.com
www.FlyingSmilesKites.com
252-453-8442

Come see us at Flying Smiles Kites when you're on the Outer Banks of NC!

Kites make me smile ... Revs make me grin!

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

#16 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

I have a 75', 85' and 100' line at my disposal. I wanted to make two sets of lines from one of these existing sets. I wanted to have two short sets so my son and I could fly together.

I would cut the 100' and the 75' set in half, yielding two 30'-ish and two 50'-ish sets. Share time on the 85' set until you can afford more line.

Tapatalk 2 ~ Android

Have Rev, Will Travel

#17 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

Works great for indoor as well!

For me personally I could feel the bungee effect of Skybond at 12' on the 100# lines indoors. It was less than LPG 50# line, but still enough to drive me crazy to the point that I didn't feel like the extra 1 or 2 wraps i got was enough of a gain and I went back to LPG 90# line for my indoors.

I prefer a rock solid wire like connection with my kites so personal mileage may vary. I've tried the stuff indoors and out but I just cant get past the bungee effect of the stuff. Its not a bad line, but given the choice I use LPG every time.

#18 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

My guess is that the bungee effect isn't as bad for the low wind back East and that's why they use it!! Probably shows up more in higher winds!! Just a guess!!

Indoor, I've used 90#x10' only in LPG!!

I do use 50# in very low winds!! Less weight to carry aloft and a good direct connection to the kite!! Only drawback is in group flying, it had a tendency to lock up easier in mixed line company!! But no problems when alone!!

wayne from portland

AKA member

#19 kwmf

kwmf

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

I don't like LPG 50# for the same bungee effect. I can fly it, but it just feels wrong to me.

Skybond i could feel it at just 12' flying indoors - but I do fly a harder, faster power/depower style

#20 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

I can see that!!! With my "floatier" style, it might work OK for me!! But since I started, it's been 90#LPG on my setup!!

wayne from portland

AKA member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users