Handles

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Terrible Tim

Terrible Tim
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

So I tried searching and didn't seem to find what I was looking for. Maybe my search skills are sub par. Posted Image

Anyway,
Can some one explain what benefits the different length handles would have? And maybe why you want a specific length over another?

Thanks.

#2 TerryB

TerryB

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

So I tried searching and didn't seem to find what I was looking for. Maybe my search skills are sub par. Posted Image

Anyway,
Can some one explain what benefits the different length handles would have? And maybe why you want a specific length over another?

Thanks.

Hi Tim,
Have been reading your exploits glad to see you got fixed up , oh and welcome to the dark side, don't panic don't try to fight it ....... One year on and I'm just awaiting the post man delivering my fourth Rev.

Was with Thomas from Denmark at Berck this year and he let me try his 15 inch handles, wow what a difference!
They seem more precise for me, the input feels smoother.
Someone may correct me but as I see it the extension is just to the lower section.

On my return to the UK I spent some workshop time and made my spare 13 inch pair into 15 inch by adding aluminium ends domed headed with holes drilled through as the no snag units you will see described on the forum.

This has now given me a more precise set of tools to learn even more and refine my at times crude movements.

Hope this was of help.

Take care
Terry

#3 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

13" handles are the "standard length" for most situations!! They are going to do well in the most conditions, some use them exclusively!! Myself, I use both 13" + 15" handles!! The longer handles, I find that they work really well for me in lighter wind and the shorter in more wind!! The longer handles create more torque on your kite when you move them!! Some don't like it, others do!! When the wind comes up, I switch to the 13", don't need the extra movement on the kite!! It's really what works for you, but 13" handles will work very well!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#4 Terrible Tim

Terrible Tim
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I did notice that I don't like the stock 13" handles with those goofy metal rings on them and those short leaders, that's for sure. I may have to do something about those issues. I see now why most guys have a set of the Pro handles. :P

#5 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

You can modify those handles to remove the ring and use a wallboard anchor and screw to make them "snagless"! I've done 5 sets of handles and only spent $10.00!! But I have to admit the "snagless" version is very nice and clean!! I'll look to see where the info is on doing this!

Haven't found that link - anyone know where it's at??

Think I found Watty's old video of mods done!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#6 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

ohhh man!! Tim why did you not ask this question 2 weeks ago when I had a bad set of handles that I needed to fix!??Posted Image
Rev B full sail, Mid & Full Vent
Rev SLE
Rev Blast
Large Duffel bag full of frameless ripstop and lines

An ear to ear grin when the trees are moving

#7 Terrible Tim

Terrible Tim
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

ohhh man!! Tim why did you not ask this question 2 weeks ago when I had a bad set of handles that I needed to fix!??Posted Image

I know, right? As a former drywall finisher, that's maybe one of the coolest things I've seen in some time. :blue-cool: I'll be doing some work to mine pretty soon. ;)

#8 Adam

Adam

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

I have done the anchor mod on all of my old handles, and they are great. Its a great solution to the problem and very affordable.

Adam
"It was the wind Captain"

#9 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:01 PM

Mine, ala Watty ala stone in shoe bob. Funny, I was just debating 13 vs. 15 myself. I've actually had both for a couple of years. I used to do like Wayne (SS) does, using the 15s in low wind. Then I decided it wasn't worth the trouble, and also the inputs differ, so I thought I'd just stick with 13s all the time. And I have. But the last three days of flying, I've been playing with the 15s again. And I like them! They seem snappier. I feel like I can make crisper corners. I suppose I should be able to make just as crisp corners with the 13s. I suppose I can... but I have to work harder to make them come out that crispy with 13s. :kid_content: The flipside to that is, they need smaller inputs than the 13s. They will be twitchier. I think the majority of fliers use 13s. Maybe it's just what came with their kite, and so that's what they've stuck with? Or maybe the 13s are actually preferred over 15s. I hear in Europe they like 15s and 17s, and maybe even longer?

My 15s are not modded, ie they still have the hog clips. I had forgotten how annoying they are.

Posted Image

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#10 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

Yeah . . . I really, really need to do this soon. Been flying/flailing about on shorter lines & I keep snagging on those damn clips, or the clips flip over and throw off the length on one line.

ike_member.png and 180GO-100.png

#11 oapbillf

oapbillf

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:32 AM

A few things worth remembering if you are modifying your handles to prevent snags:-

First, be very careful in removing the caps, underneath them are the holes for the clips and on every handle that I have modified there are very sharp burrs which can give you a nasty cut so use a pair of pliers and ease them off! then remove the burrs with a drill bit!

Use an 8mm or equivelent drill bit and round file to clean out the bore of the handles.

You only need to do the bottom of the handles, (thanks to "stone-in shoe-bob") the tops never snag!

Bill

#12 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

. . . . .
You only need to do the bottom of the handles, (thanks to "stone-in shoe-bob") the tops never snag!

I'll go one stage further than that Bill, it's not a case of you don't need to do the top, I would explicitly recommend you don't do the tops because it lengthens the tops of the handles and messes with your grip, only a little but I couldn't take to the new grip position and put the top clips back.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users