36 replies to this topic

#21 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

First check the extra LE that came with the SLE! It should be silver label and 3 feathers!! If so, go for the 4 wrap (4 feathers) with your vented and get the race upgrade for a buck!! Race frames have a "flame" on their labels!! That should give you a good selection of frames to work with!
Whether to get a f/v or mid is really up to you!! Eventually you're probably gonna own all of the "B" series, so go with what fits your wind conditions best! I'd think a f/v would be best, it gives you the most wind range coverage, but if that only happens a few times a year,.....? Just don't be tempted to put too strong a frame in a light wind kite, you risk stretching or blowing out the sail!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#22 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Wayne, my dear friend, I think we really need to recommend fv over mid. There are already too many choices, let's make things easier on the guy. Because we know that a standard and a vented for starters is ALMOST always the best way to go. Race rods in the vented brings it into midvent territory. And then he's got so much more range! I recently flew my mid with 3s back to back with a vented B with 2 wraps in. The vented felt every bit as good as the mid.

Hightray: Being able to choose from an assortment of rods is what gives so much flexibility in wind range for each kite. Mids are traditionally added last, because they overlap the upper range of the standard and the lower range of the vented.

0000000000000 _______________mid

standard______________ _________________vented

Only reason to get a mid is if a person is just about never ever going to encounter real wind.  If that's the case in colorado springs, I'll stand corrected.

(edited to add: "But that's just my $.08!" I don't stop at .02, you know.) :P

Edited by katrina, 03 May 2012 - 09:16 AM.

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#23 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

Yeah, I think the f/v is best!! It does give you the most versatility, having a std and f/v!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#24 Khal

Khal

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

Okay, so next you get a vented (full vent not midvent) B, ordered as "sail only." This will still include a set of rods, your choice. Yes, go with lighter rods. You will definitely want black race rods instead of the 2 wraps. Black race rods weigh a hair more than 2s, and they are better. (there are other race rods, but they are heavier. you need the light ones for your light wind purposes.)

Katrina and Wayne have it sorted out, but just to avoid any possible confusion, I think what you want to ask for is "kite only". This will include a sail and a frame. It is distinguished from "ready to fly" which generally includes handles, lines, etc. that you already have. Very rarely you will see something for sale as "sail only". This generally will not include a frame, and might not even have a bridle.
Brian

Posted Image Posted Image

#25 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

I am enjoying this with my son who is as green as I am.

Seems like to me, this one part of your post tells me you need 2 rtf kites. Sure beats "my turn" "my turn"

#26 Hightray

Hightray
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

I checked the kite I have to make sure.

The 1.5SLE came with the larger leading edge -- that was already in the kite when delivered. The vertical bars are marked Ultra Light with three feathers on them. I then have another bag of three rods that are marked Ultra Light with three feathers.

Taking everything into consideration...

Currently I have a 3 wrap frame. And that thicker leading edge.
Going with the B model, it appears that comes with two complete frames. (Correct me if I am wrong)
So I would get a B with Race Rod upgrade. And the other frame that comes with it is already a Ultra Light 2 wrap frame. (I am reading this from awindofchange.com)

So I would have -- with my existing kite -- a 3 wrap, 2 wrap, and Race Frame (all complete frames) along with the thicker LE I got with the SLE. And then of course a Full Vent, and solid sail.

Does this sound proper? I believe I understand this and am just about ready to pull the trigger.

Thank you guys so much!

As for getting another RTF, I probably would wait on that. My son enjoys flying but I don't think he is as into it as I am. On other occasions when I have gone out to fly (With my 2 liners and with the Rev) he has passed on the invitation a couple times to do something else or was not in the mood. Me on the other hand.... I look for excuses to go out and fly any time possible!

Edit: revisiting that statement. Looks like I would need to go full package as it mentions kite only is 1 frame. It won't hurt to have two kites ready to fly if needed in order to get the setup I need without having to pay more later

#27 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

The B does come with 2 complete frames, but only if you order it RTF - ready to fly. Otherwise, if you choose the "kite only" option, it will come with one complete frame (2, 3, or 4 wrap of your choice with the option to upgrade to the Race frame) and the sail only. I think the RTF version of the B-Series is definitely the better value - 2 full frames, and the B-Series handles with adjustable leaders are inlcuded.

Concerning the frames.... Don't get a Race and a 2 wrap. These 2 frames are meant for the same wind range! No need for the redundancy just yet. Since you already have a full 3 wrap, get a Race frame and a 4 wrap. Swapping the frames between kites is mildly annoying, but only takes about 5-10 minutes to do out in the field, and will save you some money now.

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#28 Hightray

Hightray
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

The B does come with 2 complete frames, but only if you order it RTF - ready to fly. Otherwise, if you choose the "kite only" option, it will come with one complete frame (2, 3, or 4 wrap of your choice with the option to upgrade to the Race frame) and the sail only. I think the RTF version of the B-Series is definitely the better value - 2 full frames, and the B-Series handles with adjustable leaders are inlcuded.

Concerning the frames.... Don't get a Race and a 2 wrap. These 2 frames are meant for the same wind range! No need for the redundancy just yet. Since you already have a full 3 wrap, get a Race frame and a 4 wrap. Swapping the frames between kites is mildly annoying, but only takes about 5-10 minutes to do out in the field, and will save you some money now.

Thanks for that clarification on the 2 wrap. I completely forgot to ask about the similarities of the 2 wrap and race set. I remember a 4 wrap mentioned in an earlier post.

#29 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

Khal, good catch, I meant "kite only" not "sail only," now edited.

Hightray, considering the price diff is only $35, I'd go with the package. You get two sets of rods instead of one, and you get another set of handles. Handles alone costs about $35 I think? Note though that it's not truly RTF as no line is included.

So that's a B series vented, with black race rods and 4 wraps.

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#30 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:46 PM

Last I knew 1.5b kite only comes with 2 frames, 1.5b pro comes with 1 frame of your choice. but yes a wind of change has that $1 race frame sale on what I think is one of the 2 frames, so yes, the race and the 4wrap on the 1.5b vent.

#31 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

All I can add is......

Do you have a kite stake? Of course it is ok to use a rusty screwdriver, for now. :kid_devlish:

You have gotten really good advice so far, Kent has a smokin deal with the $1 Race frame upgrade! Race frame sets go for about $70......
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#32 Hightray

Hightray
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:22 PM

Khal, good catch, I meant "kite only" not "sail only," now edited.

Hightray, considering the price diff is only $35, I'd go with the package. You get two sets of rods instead of one, and you get another set of handles. Handles alone costs about $35 I think? Note though that it's not truly RTF as no line is included.

So that's a B series vented, with black race rods and 4 wraps.

Awesome!. Made the purchase. I went with the race rods and 4 wrap. I was mesmerized with the "night" color scheme on the web site so went with that one. I also figured while I was at it I would get the lines. It was not that much to add on since I was getting the full kit with the handles, etc.

Now the hard part is waiting. I went out tonight with the SLE and the wind was a little too brisk for my comfort so I took it down. I finished the evening with my 2.1m para foil.

I have gotten so much excellent information and thanks to Katrina for emailing me as well. You are all a great bunch of folks. Now hopefully in short matter I can start to contribute. Will definitely update when it arrives as well. It is like Chirstmas as a kid. Can't wait!

I have some stakes as well so I am covered. Never thought I would be at this point but what you all say is true that one Rev is just the beginning!

#33 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

Addiction complete!!! Posted Image

PS: Walt - the race frame is around $100.00!!! That $1.00 deal rocks!!

wayne from portland

AKA member

#34 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

Addiction complete!!! Posted Image

I think you mean addiction started.

Oh sure, the first few kites (what I'm now calling the gateway kites) are easy. Addiction complete is when you reach the point where you . . . . start selling kites because you can't possibly fly them all and your kids are not quite addicted enough to justify the extra sails. Addiction complete is when you "accidentally" forget to mention a new kite (shipped to work) to your wife and she says "what's that one? I don't think I've seen that one before." Oops. Plus you need to sell kites so you can swap out some of the gateway kites for . . . . more powerfully narcotic kites. The early kites just don't quite satisfy anymore . . . . (although I have to say that lately I've been flying my first Rev quite a bit as it is full sail, now framed with race rods). It's when you look in the garage and think about what you could sell on craigslist to fund more kites . . . . yeah, that's getting to the point where the addiction is complete.

Welcome to the addiction, Hightray . . . .

ike_member.png and 180GO-100.png

#35 Hightray

Hightray
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Thank you everyone for the welcome. I checked my tracking and the kite should be arriving some time today. Sadly, it is 34 degrees with light snow today. (I am north of Colorado Springs) Not expecting weather above 50 until Wednesday.

I will take this time to prim up the kite. So looking forward to it.

#36 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

The "New Kite Curse" is still in full effect!! Posted Image Conditions change, there's plenty of time to play with the new one!! Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

#37 Hightray

Hightray
  • Forum Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

Well, I finally beat the curse. Got past the snow, getting sick, and then rain. Finally got clear skies and took the Vented B out for the first flight. It was a little light in wind as I had to put some good effort into altitude but boy.... WHAT A DREAM. It was such a difference in flight. Lighter, not stiff like the SLE. Made me feel like I could "finesse" it more, it had give. I can't wait to put the lighter frame in my full sail.

What an awesome night. I left the park feeling happy. What an awesome product that can make you leave happy right?

Thanks everyone for your help with selecting this kite. Now I have a lot of options and conditions covered with my 1.5 SLE and my Vented B.

Ahh, it feels good! Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users