Rev flying in Seaside,OR

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 staffspinner

staffspinner
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

I just spent the afternoon of Sat 4.28.12 at Seaside OR. I am a new flyer and Katrina noticed some strangness in my kite and asked me to set down. She very nicely showed me that I had my verticals placed incorrectly (in front). This and aslo an afjustment of the rigging tighten the sail. She also gave me 2 lines for the tops of my handles and showed me about knot spacing. I am glad to see that Rev people are such good people. I look forward to learning more about Rev flying, Thanks so much Katrina.
Regards Doug

#2 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

Those lines on the top of your handles are called leaders, you'll find a bunch of info about them in some older topics!! You met a very nice gal and someone that represents the best of what kite flying means to many of us!! Looking forward to meeting you!!

Posted Image to "The Dark Side" !!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#3 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:07 AM

Welcome to the forum!! You met a great flier and Rev promoter for sure.
Rev B full sail, Mid & Full Vent
Rev SLE
Rev Blast
Large Duffel bag full of frameless ripstop and lines

An ear to ear grin when the trees are moving

#4 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

PS: There's a kite fest at Rockaway in a couple of weeks!! You'd meet a whole bunch of the people here on the forum at it!!

https://www.facebook...227222234051807

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#5 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hi Doug & :sign_welcome:

Michael

"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#6 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

Aww, thanks for the love note Doug! :wub: And welcome to the forum. You'll meet LOTS of helpful kite fliers. We were all newbies once.

I have to say, Doug was flying AMAZINGLY well with it rigged like that, and with his top leaders in all the way, and bottoms out. Very impressive. He's going to be good. Even with the spars sorted out, I couldn't do much with it. So now that he's learned the hard way, I can't wait to see how well he'll do with new leaders. Look for him at LC, green vented SLE.

PS to local crew: I didn't tell anyone I was headed out to the beach because there was stuff I needed to work on, and as long as there's someone around to fly with, I never put the time in where I should, you know? Was trying to stay focused! Seaside tourists: "Do some tricks!" "Hey, hey, can I fly yer kite? (Pabst in hand)" "Why don't you put it up higher?" "Do you always have to hold onto it? Why don't you just tie it down like that one?" (a sutton). But I was happy that they mostly ignored me and took thousands of pictures of Kelly's FAR more interesting bouncy ball kite collection. "So do you like, own a kite store or something?" :kid_brooding:

Just pretend all my statements are prefaced with IIRC, AFAIK, IMHO, and end with "Just my $.02," okay?
(And stop asking for cookies, all you new darkside converts! It was all just a ruse to get you here!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 mousieo

mousieo

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

Welcome Doug! and Nice work Katrina! and Doug.. I think most all of us did the exact same thing one time or another starting out.. .I know I did.. and Connor did.. So WELCOME! Come join a great event at Rockaway on May 12-13. All are welcome!

#8 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

I concur, Katrina is a font of usefull information!

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#9 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

Welcome to the dark side doug! Hey, that's a catchy name . . . I think I will call you Dark Side Doug when I get to meet you in person . . . . . that's me practicing some transference - really, really wishing / hoping to make it out to your left coast to fly WISKF again this year, and it's just one more excuse . . . . . tons of awesome rev pilots there, if you want to learn a lot all packed into one week . . . . Also, you should check out the videos over on kitelife.com and some from Watty over on YouTube. Really good stuff for newbies - including important basic stuff like line management that will make your day so much better when you are starting out.

Katrina - does this mean I'm not the "new guy" any more? You said I'd always be that "new guy" when I was being cranky for a bit at KP X . . . . ;)

ike_member.png and 180GO-100.png

#10 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

Also, you should check out the videos over on kitelife.com and some from Watty over on YouTube. Really good stuff for newbies - including important basic stuff like line management that will make your day so much better when you are starting out.

Psst: Word has it Watty may be available to teach private lessons at festivals. :blue-cool:

Katrina - does this mean I'm not the "new guy" any more? You said I'd always be that "new guy" when I was being cranky for a bit at KP X . . . . ;)

:kid_content: Nope, sorry Steve, you're still "the new guy" to the person who ticked you off that day (wasn't me! At least not that time. :innocent: ) And now I have to explain: Even though you've gotten really good, you're always newer than somebody else. At least until it's been so long that they can't even remember who came on the scene first. I've got LOTS of bosses on the field. But if it makes you feel better, we get to be Jedi Master to all the new recruits, even long after they're no longer newbies! :) (Wait, we're the dark side. But we have this jedi thing going too...)

Just pretend all my statements are prefaced with IIRC, AFAIK, IMHO, and end with "Just my $.02," okay?
(And stop asking for cookies, all you new darkside converts! It was all just a ruse to get you here!)

#11 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

Psst: Word has it Watty may be available to teach private lessons at festivals. :blue-cool:

:kid_content: Nope, sorry Steve, you're still "the new guy" to the person who ticked you off that day (wasn't me! At least not that time. :innocent: ) And now I have to explain: Even though you've gotten really good, you're always newer than somebody else. At least until it's been so long that they can't even remember who came on the scene first. I've got LOTS of bosses on the field. But if it makes you feel better, we get to be Jedi Master to all the new recruits, even long after they're no longer newbies! :) (Wait, we're the dark side. But we have this jedi thing going too...)

Does that mean that JB is "Darth Vader"? lol !!Posted Image Maybe the "Emperor"??

wayne from portland

AKA member

#12 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:42 AM

Does that mean that JB is "Darth Vader"? lol !!Posted Image Maybe the "Emperor"??

Shall we play, "If you were a Star Wars character, who would you be?" :kid_content: I think JB is more Obi-wan than darth. Who gets to be yoda? Are we bringing star trek into it too? We'll really start scaring the newbies off, you know. They'll be thinking they aren't weird enough to hang out on this forum.

#13 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

Shall we play, "If you were a Star Wars character, who would you be?" :kid_content: I think JB is more Obi-wan than darth. Who gets to be yoda? Are we bringing star trek into it too? We'll really start scaring the newbies off, you know. They'll be thinking they aren't weird enough to hang out on this forum.

I was just thinking of who is the most powerful character on the "Dark Side"! If we're looking at it from a personality standpoint, I'd agree with the Obi-wan comparison!! Who would be Yoda?? Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

#14 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

Yoda....monkey boy? Luke Skywalker.....Steve D. :)

#15 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

Starting to feel a bit like R2D2!! Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

#16 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

Starting to feel a bit like R2D2!! Posted Image

Oh you guys are too funny. yoda=monkey :lol:. And most of us probably went through a C3PO phase early on. You know, a little stiff and overly anxious, "We're doomed!"

#17 Khal

Khal

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Oh you guys are too funny. yoda=monkey :lol:. And most of us probably went through a C3PO phase early on. You know, a little stiff and overly anxious, "We're doomed!"

"Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating a mega fly is approximately 3720 to 1!" :blink:
Brian

Posted Image Posted Image

#18 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

"Sir, the possibility of successfully navigating a mega fly is approximately 3720 to 1!" :blink:

I used to bulls-eye axels on my Neos Omega back home, and they're no more difficult than a mega fly.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#19 Khal

Khal

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

I used to bulls-eye axels on my Neos Omega back home, and they're no more difficult than a mega fly.

"Use the Hover, Luke. " "It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the mega fly together."
Brian

Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users