32 replies to this topic

#1 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

I'm headed to San Diego in just over a month and a half, for some R+R Posted Image This will be my first time flying on the beach! Since I live inland, however, I feel that I am a little unprepared...... I could use some advice and recommendations on what I should bring with me and how I should prepare my Revs.

Suncreen? Yeah "check".
Swimsuit? Check.
Revs?? Check check check check check.
????????????

Please chime in with tips on how to properly prepare for a day of Rev flying at the beach!! Please don't limit tips to just Rev stuff - if there is a piece of gear, a way around, a way to clean up the Rev, or beach etiquette I should know of please post it!!

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#2 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

How about a good folding chair? You can put the rev bag on it while flying so its not laying in the sand, also you can sit if you need a break. :) Oh and o-rings on your rods to keep sand out of endcaps. ;)
Michael
"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#3 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

You should be aware that smooth ocean winds take a while to get used to. I'm sure you'll miss the comfort of your usual inland winds. A stake suitable for sand? Contact info for SD fliers? Some sort of beach blanket is nice for setting up. Sand gets everywhere. Probably don't want to pack one, though. ipod/phone goes in a ziploc or other bag to protect from sand. Even when you are using it. If you drop it in the sand, it's not good. Hat with a wide brim, you've got one already I'm sure. Are you manly enough for a scarf for sun protection? Bazzer and Terry are.

Just pretend all my statements are prefaced with IIRC, AFAIK, IMHO, and end with "Just my $.02," okay?
(And stop asking for cookies, all you new darkside converts! It was all just a ruse to get you here!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Sunscreen - check!!
Wide brimmed hat - check!!
Bandanna or scarf - check!!
UPF rated shirt - check!!
"O" rings on rods - check!!
Stake (not on a flight) - check!!
Fun - double check!!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#5 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

@mbro - Ok good call! I'm driving down with my sister, plenty of space in the rental to bring chairs and maybe a pop-up shelter. Ooo - o rings for sure. Genius!

@katrina - hehe you crack me up!! I'm sure after experiencing the smooth beach wind I'll be looking to sell everything I own to move there Posted Image the blanket is a good call, and so is the plastic bags for phones and the iPod. Good stuff!! No not manly enough for a scarf, I'll be looking to tan-up a little.

@SS - thankfully, not flying (in a plane)! Saving some cash there my friend! I be stakin'. And the fun is a guarantee! I'm sure I'll be nervous when setting up, at first - heck I still get butterflies in my stomach when first setting up on my home field - but I'll find my groove with the quickness and then its all the way on Posted Image

Can anyone recommend footwear for the beach? My feet aren't tough at all, and filling my sneakers with sand is out of the question.

Have Rev, Will Travel

#6 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:44 AM

ESSENTIAL:

~ Sunscreen (spray-ons are nice and easy)
~ Sunblock for your lips.
~ Hat!
~ Sunglasses!
~ Chair
~ Water! Water! Water!
~ Rev Stuff OFCOURSE.

~ A Shelter is nice if you're going to be out there Alllllll Day.

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#7 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

Those "pull over the heel" sandals, that have slits on the sides, make pretty good footwear!! You get some sand in there, but you can get it out pretty easily!!

The lip gloss sunscreen is very good, make sure to get as high a SPF rating as you can!!

Tan? Burn is more like it!! Remember, you brought up the need to watch out for possible problems!! UPF rated shirts are a must!! Posted Image

Don't forget some tunes to fly by!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#8 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

Tan? Burn is more like it!! Remember, you brought up the need to watch out for possible problems!! UPF rated shirts are a must!! Posted Image

Posted Image That's my boy. Good looking out man.
I'll be covered in SPF 50 sunscreen - I tan right through it. It takes longer to tan and I never burn! I brown up the right way and I'm not looking to get tan quickly. I make sure to alternate, with my shirt on for an hour, off for an hour etc. Due to my partial southern Italian heritage, I start off with a little more color in my complexion than most, so I'm not at major risks, and I've taken care of myself for quite some time now, but thanks for the reminders!!

Ok sandals with a back to them. Cheap ones maybe lol.
Tunes are a for sure!! Can't decide if a cheap little battery powered radio is the way to go.... or I could bring my iPod and headphones and keep the music to myself Posted Image
Maybe a small cooler too. If I don't eat every 2 hours or so I get a little crazy Posted Image

Have Rev, Will Travel

#9 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

ipod baby, ipod. Problem with dropping an ipod or iphone in the sand is getting sand in the docking port. How do I know this? I had to replace mine. That little port controls a lot more than charging, it turns out. But you need an ipod at the beach, if you are flying solo. Just put a piece of tape over the port, maybe. I also have a few scratches on my screen, from when I oh so carefully put my phone in a nice little bag to protect it, but hey, the bag had sand in it too. In the words of (an angry) surfer at KP, "this is a beach. It's not a place for flying kites." Dang sand.

Shoes: Some people wear crocs. Some wear tevas. How they stand sand in, sand out, I don't know. Is it going to bother you?

UPF shirt: You figure you've got sunscreen, so you don't need one. And you don't. But picture this: Sunscreen. Lots of sticky sunscreen. And blowing sand. ew.

Sunglasses that don't cost a lot. Because they also might get dropped in the sand and scratched.

Yes to figuring out a way to bring lunch down to the beach, because no way are you packing up to go find lunch, right?

If you're not manly enough for a scarf (I meant "bandana") I know I won't be seeing you in this attire, but it's an excuse to post the pic again.

How to not sunburn your legs:

Posted Image

(I covet Terry's gecko design. I did find a very cool dragon design though.)

Just pretend all my statements are prefaced with IIRC, AFAIK, IMHO, and end with "Just my $.02," okay?
(And stop asking for cookies, all you new darkside converts! It was all just a ruse to get you here!)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#10 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Agreed with all of the above.

Bring somebody to fly kites with you. It's more fun to fly team!

You might just want to buy a case of water to go in that cooler - I went through a lot of water at KP (and every time I'm on the beach). Lots of snacks too . . . . then you don't have to stop flying except to get rid of the water (bio breaks).

Lots of sunscreen . . . if you're like me, once you're on the beach you'll be out there all day, even if the wind is not cooperating. You'll be there just in case it decides to start blowing. And reapply it often (i.e. 3-4 times a day). Just go to wally world and buy the biggest bottle of 50 proof SPF they've got.

For music, I'd go with headphones, unless you are flying team with others. Just my personal preference - I prefer zoning out with the kite when I'm flying by myself. I've never had a problem with getting sand in the phone or music player (but then I don't get to spend as much time on the beach as Katrina). I'd think canned air or a compressor (gently) would blow the sand out, if any got in the ports. I usually wear cargo shorts with big, deep pockets for the phone & devices. Put the car keys in something that zips up - don't want to lose them. Better yet, have two keys in two different (safe) places. At least one person lost their keys while flying on the beach at KP10.

I always bring more than one line set. If the beach isn't crowded, I like to set up multiple kites - so I can switch from SUL to full sail to vented to full sail to SUL as the wind changes during the day . . . or just for variety. You can put out a speed series and a 1.5 and mess around with the other one when you need a change of pace. Or you can put out a beater kite in case someone is interested and wants to learn.

As far as cleaning the Revs, you can fly them into the water Posted Image . . . and I know you know how to do that from your videos. However, the ocean is not quite as smooth as a small pond . . . . so you might get knocked down. OK, the ocean won't help with the cleaning that much (unless you like salty kites), but it is fun. In reality, you can set them up and rinse them off in the shower.

Even if you "seal" the caps with orings, you're going to get sand in the caps. Then the rods won't want to pull out. Try "snapping" them with a fingernail a few times to get the sand to move around a little, and they should loosen up. That seems to work for me (most of the time).

Oh yeah, and bring the camera. You'll need a new avatar of your kite and the sunset . . . and you'll need to be posting some video here, just to make those of us landlocked in the midwest jealous.

Have fun!

ike_member.png and 180GO-100.png

#11 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:44 AM

Posted Image Thanks for the tips everyone!! Really good stuff here - you won't hear me saying, "gee if I only brought ___" this year!

@ katrina - great tips - this is the stuff they don't tell you in the travel guides!! Tape over ports on electrical gear, "check"! Also, I didn't think about the sand blowing around (which is funny as I am a kite flier hoping to see some wind at the beach Posted Image). Sand in the shoe/flipflop/sandal/etc. does sound irritating, but I better bring something just in case. Damn, cheap sunglasses..... mine are prescription, I'm going to have to take my chances or there will be some obliviot injuries that week!
My "manliness" doesn't hold a candle to those 2 gents and their attire Posted Image

@ goestoeleven - excellent thinking on rinsing Revs off in the hotel shower! Great tips for getting sand out of the rods and endcaps too. I'll definitely be bringing the camera ;) My sister Beth and I are so close, she'll be on vacation with me Posted Image she's not much for Rev flying, but it might be time to for her to try once again while we're out there! If anything she'll run the camera - she is so excited to help me shoot another video.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Have Rev, Will Travel

#12 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:20 AM

Remember call me and if I'm around I'll pick you up and we will do some flying
together..... Ben 619-750-8770Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:26 AM

And the one no one mentioned.

The Revolution factory is up in the hills above San Diego, in a little place called Poway. I just CANNOT imagine not stopping by if you are in the area.........
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#14 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

I will take you up on that Ben!! I'll send you a PM as it gets closer to June.
Better bring a van or a bus (j/k I'll have a rental car) because I'm going to have a lot of stuff -

sunscreen
lots of water
hats
chairs
beach shelters
beach blanket
radio
ipod
towels
cooler with food and drinks
electrical tape
sunglasses
sandals and flip flops
cameras
camera tripods
Revolution kites
o-rings
stakes
mutliple line sets
sister (hehe)

Thanks for all the recommendations everyone! Am I missing anything Posted Image

Have Rev, Will Travel

#15 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:30 AM

And the one no one mentioned.

The Revolution factory is up in the hills above San Diego, in a little place called Poway. I just CANNOT imagine not stopping by if you are in the area.........

My thoughts exactly! Will PM or call to see if its ok first, and make sure at least Lolly is there :)

Have Rev, Will Travel

#16 Lolly

Lolly

Revolution Kites

• Forum Admin
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

Hi Skypuppet !!!

So cool to have you on our turf/ sand- or Mission Bay- nice green grass !!
(I wear socks with my crocs in the sand.)
Thanks for coming to see ME at the shop.
See you in June.
Lolly Hadzicki-Ryno
Revolution Kites

#17 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

Am I missing anything Posted Image

Swimsuit? It is the beach, after all . . . you might want a swimsuit for when you are flying your rev while standing in the ocean ;)

#18 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

My thoughts exactly! Will PM or call to see if its ok first, and make sure at least Lolly is there Posted Image

Here's hoping it's like the Bud or Miller brewery tour, with some samples at the end! Just kidding . . . of course . . . wishing i could visit too

#19 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:23 PM

Hey Lolly!! Can't wait to meet you Posted Image
I think I will use your tip, and possibly wear socks with my beach footwear... Damn these unspoiled, soft, pink-hued, tender feet of mine!! They're useless!

Swimsuit? It is the beach, after all . . . you might want a swimsuit for when you are flying your rev while standing in the ocean ;)

Good lord!! I almost left without the swimsuit!! So much for going "commando" at the beach Posted Image
Hmmm. Wondering if the Pacific is warm enough in June to even bother trying to swim in.

Have Rev, Will Travel

#20 goestoeleven

goestoeleven

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:25 PM

Hey Lolly!! Can't wait to meet you Posted Image
I think I will use your tip, and possibly wear socks with my beach footwear... Damn these unspoiled, soft, pink-hued, tender feet of mine!! They're useless!

I couldn't stand to get sand in socks on the beach. Sandals, suncreen is my preference.

Good lord!! I almost left without the swimsuit!! So much for going "commando" at the beach Posted Image
Hmmm. Wondering if the Pacific is warm enough in June to even bother trying to swim in.

I didn't say anything about swimming. Beaches are for flying kites. Oceans are a place to stand while flying kites. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users