6 replies to this topic

#1 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Taking down my B-Vented yesterday, I noticed something strange about the setup. I checked it out on the living room floor today, and found I earned another star on my goof-up tally sheet.

History:

* I've managed to tangle the lines of all four of the Decorator's kites parked on the ground. During WSIKF. :kid_cussing:

* I've adjusted my lines on my handles for one more knot of brake, and had to completely remove the handles to sort out the resulting tangle. :kid_brooding:

And many other misadventures. But the new one may be a topper.

* I've discovered after several years and multiple clinics, I've been putting the vertical spars on the wrong side of my vented B. I had not noticed it until yesterday ... (drum roll) ... because the bridle was also on the wrong side of the kite. :kid_frustrated: :kid_frustrated: :kid_frustrated:

Removed the two outer leading edge spars, and easily "turned the kite inside out" so the bridle is on the side that says "Revolution" again. I'm just hoping it flies as well, with the bridle not tangled on itself. :P
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#2 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

The more you fly, the more you learn. I would laugh if I haven't also done these things myself. :kid_smartass:

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

* I've discovered after several years and multiple clinics, I've been putting the vertical spars on the wrong side of my vented B. I had not noticed it until yesterday ... (drum roll) ... because the bridle was also on the wrong side of the kite. :kid_frustrated: :kid_frustrated: :kid_frustrated:

Removed the two outer leading edge spars, and easily "turned the kite inside out" so the bridle is on the side that says "Revolution" again. I'm just hoping it flies as well, with the bridle not tangled on itself. :P

Could it be that you only had the sail reversed?

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 katrina

katrina

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

For a second there I thought you'd managed to fly with the verticals on the windward side. That takes more skill, you know. An advanced maneuver. :kid_content: But it sounds like you just had your sail inside out. Funny no one noticed. I will admit to flying one of my kites inside out for QUITE a while. :blink: No one told me because I was always off flying far far away from other kites. It earned me a nearly worn through bridle.

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7d6a219c-f09c-4ff7-bfe6-def4ee70537f.jpg 7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpg   9318e0ca-5fb4-4414-ba00-6101d95edf46.jpg   7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg   

#5 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

Chalk one up for the "you can teach an old dog new tricks"!! Posted Image

PS: I saw someone at LC that had done that on purpose with one of the speed series kites!! The seams were like wear strips, right under his vertical spars!!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#6 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:26 PM

Could it be that you only had the sail reversed?

I call it "inside out" because to correct it, I pulled each wing back through the bridle - like fixing a shirt that is inside-out. ;)

But yeah - the effect is almost like having the sail reversed, except parts of the bridle upper legs are twisted on themselves.
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#7 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

The more you fly, the more you learn. I would laugh if I haven't also done these things myself. :kid_smartass:

I have done those things myself, and I'm still laughing. :D

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users