• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Terrible Tim

Terrible Tim
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hey guys,

First post for me here. I currently have a VolksQuad that I picked up to see if I was going to like quad line kites and now I'm looking to pick up a Rev. I've decided to just jump into a B-Series since I can't really sustain several Revs like some of you guys. It needs to be the 1 kite I'll get a ton of use out of. So I have a couple questions.
  • Is there a used marketplace forum anywhere? I didn't see one here on the Rev forums. Are they just scattered throughout the posts or is there a dedicated forum for "for sale" items? I did see the "KiteBookie" website and didn't really see much listed there.
  • I've shopped around the price a bit. Do you guys have any suggestions on who you like to deal with and who might be cheapest? Yes, I know, asking who is cheapest isn't always cool since we should support those who support us. But money IS an object for me and it could mean the difference between me getting a Rev and not. Keep in mind, I picked up the VolkQuad because it was significantly more affordable than a Rev (about half the cost).
Thanks guys.

Edit - I now have my first Rev!

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

Hey guys,

First post for me here. I currently have a VolksQuad that I picked up to see if I was going to like quad line kites and now I'm looking to pick up a Rev. I've decided to just jump into a B-Series since I can't really sustain several Revs like some of you guys. It needs to be the 1 kite I'll get a ton of use out of. So I have a couple questions.

• Is there a used marketplace forum anywhere? I didn't see one here on the Rev forums. Are they just scattered throughout the posts or is there a dedicated forum for "for sale" items? I did see the "KiteBookie" website and didn't really see much listed there.
  • I've shopped around the price a bit. Do you guys have any suggestions on who you like to deal with and who might be cheapest? Yes, I know, asking who is cheapest isn't always cool since we should support those who support us. But money IS an object for me and it could mean the difference between me getting a Rev and not. Keep in mind, I picked up the VolkQuad because it was significantly more affordable than a Rev (about half the cost).
Thanks guys.

Hey Tim, glad to see you on the forum!

There are a few places for finding used kites, like the GWTW swap meet, or even ebay. Here's a link to an article that's all about buying and selling used kites:
https://www.kitelife...ade-used-kites/

As far as shops, go, I'm not sure about who has the cheapest, but The Kite Shoppe is my go-to kite store. Other stores to look at are A Wind of Change, Above It All, or many others.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Terrible Tim

Terrible Tim
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

Thanks Watty! I'll take a peek at those links.

I have been chatting with Theresa as well and she is definately on my list for this one.

#4 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

Welcome to the online party Tim!!Posted Image Posted Image

Anytime your heading out to fly make sure to drop me a line. If we are on the same field you are welcome to fly one of mine if you don't have one.

All the shops Watty mentioned are well known and trusted. Maybe ask if they have any demo kites they are willing to part with...

Posting a wanted add on GWTW is a good way to find a used kite, and read the link Watty gave..

I also believe that putting a wanted add in the Open forum section here is acceptable, but there is not a "for sale" area.
Rev B full sail, Mid & Full Vent
Rev SLE
Rev Blast
Large Duffel bag full of frameless ripstop and lines

An ear to ear grin when the trees are moving

#5 Terrible Tim

Terrible Tim
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Well, I guess I could just post a "Wanted" right here too. :blue-cool:

I'm looking for a B-Series, but I'm picky about color. So if anyone has something, let me know what you got!

#6 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

TT,
it's hard to part with a B-Series, until they are beat so bad they become almost transparent to the wind, even the really high mileage ones are still good enough for giving lessons

#7 Mad Mik

Mad Mik
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Hi Tim, i like you am new to the rev game, after all the advice from forum members i went for a mid vent b series, i love it.

#8 Terrible Tim

Terrible Tim
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:04 AM

TT,
it's hard to part with a B-Series, until they are beat so bad they become almost transparent to the wind, even the really high mileage ones are still good enough for giving lessons

Yea, that seems to be the issue. I can find a ton of used EXPs, which kinda tells me if I get one of those I'll have a used EXP for sale in no time. :P

#9 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

Sorry to say, but there isn't 1 perfect Rev for any and all wind conditions!! Posted Image That's why folks have more than 1, for different winds!! Posted Image

PS: There are "perfect Revs" for each wind!!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#10 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Sorry to say, but there isn't 1 perfect Rev for any and all wind conditions!! Posted Image That's why folks have more than 1, for different winds!! Posted Image

PS: There are "perfect Revs" for each wind!!!Posted Image

Very true,
Worse yet our local spot Kitehenge can be a finick yplace to fly. I got there yesterday I was facing full vent winds. It was gusty and lows felt low so I pulled out the Mid. Flew 15-20min and had to pull out the Full sail with racerods. 30min later even that could barely stay flying and trying to work on my precision flying was out so I packed it in...

Normally though I have seen winds are lighter there, so I would say full sail B to start and you will be very happy camper.
Rev SLE
Rev Blast

#11 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:53 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks guys.

Hi Tim!
Just saw this! Welcome!
Yes, we've been chatting :)
Just let me know when you are ready to jump in :)
As for 'cheapest' on a B Series....Rev sets a MAP of $335 for the package. The package is your best value, as it comes with 2 frames and JB handles and DVD. If you've seen it for a lower price....it's cuz there was a slight increase in January, and some sites haven't updated their pages yet. :(
Have fun flying!
T

#12 Terrible Tim

Terrible Tim
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

...As for 'cheapest' on a B Series....Rev sets a MAP of $335 for the package. The package is your best value, as it comes with 2 frames and JB handles and DVD. If you've seen it for a lower price....it's cuz there was a slight increase in January, and some sites haven't updated their pages yet. :(

Got ya', that makes sense and explains a few things.

#13 Terrible Tim

Terrible Tim
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Very true,
Worse yet our local spot Kitehenge can be a finick yplace to fly. I got there yesterday I was facing full vent winds. It was gusty and lows felt low so I pulled out the Mid. Flew 15-20min and had to pull out the Full sail with racerods. 30min later even that could barely stay flying and trying to work on my precision flying was out so I packed it in...

Normally though I have seen winds are lighter there, so I would say full sail B to start and you will be very happy camper.

Yea, seems like every time I go there the wind is super light, I struggle to get much of anything to stay in the air. funny too, 'cause at the top of the hill it'll be blowing hard. :blue-confused:

#14 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:58 PM

Yea, seems like every time I go there the wind is super light, I struggle to get much of anything to stay in the air. funny too, 'cause at the top of the hill it'll be blowing hard. Posted Image

Yup it was that way yesterday, but more frustrating was that it was 12mph+ when I got there, but I think my Rev scared the wind away!!

May try the parks off Cirque on the way in from 54th. the flag up there was moving good..

A Rev B with 2 wrap will fly in pretty light wind ;-) Much lower than your Volks as you saw at the clinic..
Rev SLE
Rev Blast

#15 Terrible Tim

Terrible Tim
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

Yea that was pretty much the clencher for me. My Volks was flying decent enough in 6mph winds, but when it got lighter than that it just died. And it seems like I'm forever fighting low winds around here. :blue-confused:

#16 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

It's best to just bite the bullet and get a B standard package with extra frame (2 and 3 wrap) and all. Then you will need a B vented package, also with two frames (3 and 4 wrap). At that point you will be able to fly in any wind in which you care to stand. Yes, lots of $$$, but in the end, a very good way to go.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#17 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:53 AM

It's best to just bite the bullet and get a B standard package with extra frame (2 and 3 wrap) and all. Then you will need a B vented package, also with two frames (3 and 4 wrap). At that point you will be able to fly in any wind in which you care to stand. Yes, lots of $$$, but in the end, a very good way to go.

I couldn’t agree more. Too many newbies look at the 1.5 range and think of going mid vent to get the best of both worlds and fail to realise that the is no “one size fits all” solution. Buy one Rev and you are somebody who flies a Rev, buy a second and you become a Rev Flier, and as Jim says “At that point you will be able to fly in any wind in which you care to stand”.

Don’t get me wrong I am not knocking the mid vent I love mine, it probably gets more airtime than either full vent or std, but all it does is put a sweet spot in the overlap between full vent or std.

Don’t be too scared of the cost I know money is tight for many of us but you can build your collection slowly as finances permit, and remember once you have bought a kite the wind is free.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#18 Terrible Tim

Terrible Tim
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

I couldn’t agree more. Too many newbies look at the 1.5 range and think of going mid vent to get the best of both worlds and fail to realise that the is no “one size fits all” solution. Buy one Rev and you are somebody who flies a Rev, buy a second and you become a Rev Flier, and as Jim says “At that point you will be able to fly in any wind in which you care to stand”.

Don’t get me wrong I am not knocking the mid vent I love mine, it probably gets more airtime than either full vent or std, but all it does is put a sweet spot in the overlap between full vent or std.

Don’t be too scared of the cost I know money is tight for many of us but you can build your collection slowly as finances permit, and remember once you have bought a kite the wind is free.

While I do understand the fact that there isn't a single Rev that will fit every condition (honestly, I do get that) I also HAVE to keep in mind the fact that my budget will simply not allow for more than a single Rev right now. that fact will not change for some time to come, so this single Rev needs to be the one that I can use for a long time to come before I'll be able to add a second one. Sure, my goal is to add a second one in the future. But the reality is, that future is a long ways out, possibly a year or more. With the cost of a Rev, that is just how it is in my world. A $60 dual line kite is a different conversation than a $330 quad line kite in my household. Hopefully that clears things up regarding why I'm looking for what I'm looking for. My thought is that a B-Series full sail SHOULD get me by for the considerable future, which HAS to be the goal or I might as well not buy anything. A year or maybe 8 months out, then I can look for a vented version to expand the collection. But for right now, I need that single kite that I can ge the most use out of since that is what the budget (and more importantly, the wife) allows. Keep in mind, I've been having this conversation with my wife regarding buying a Rev for almost a year now. That's just the way my budget works. Again, a $60 dual line kite is a different conversation than a $330 quad line kite.

Make sense? :blue-cool:

#19 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Absolutely Tim, I am completely with you, on this, I totally get the money is tight thing. And I agree that a std B is usually the best way to go for a first Rev.

The point I was trying to make was that so many newbies think that going for a mid vent will give them the best of both worlds, but the std is called Standard for a reason. Firstly it will cope with a broader wind range than many would expect. With the three wrap frame it will be strong enough to cope with quite a blow, providing you don't go crashing it into anything silly, it will cope, you will give up way before the kite does. And with the two wrap frame it will cope with quite a low wind. Then as your skills improve you will be able to take it down to a very gentle breeze. If you are serious about this, you will eventually want to increase your wind range, this is where we start talking "bangs for bucks". If you have started with a full sail (Std) adding a full vent, two kites, will cover pretty much all you are likely to need (notice I say "need" not "want"). If you make the mistake of going mid vent first you end up needing std and full vent to get all the bases covered.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#20 lamrith

lamrith

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

Yeah Tim and I have talked a good bit, our winds are low around here. a Full sail is definitely the way to go for a 1st Rev. The B is even better for not only the better fail layout and material, but the 2 and 3 wrap frames...

I will say though a midvent might make a better second kite than a full vent here.. We rarely get full vent winds, and when we do it is often accompanied by rain so no flying.. The midvent flies smooth and gets going at lower windrange.
Rev SLE
Rev Blast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users